IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

8 hours ago, Matias said:

Just a short feedback: I have been running 2.8 and updated apps over the last few weeks and never had a dropout again. It is running DLNA rock solid on all PCM/DSD sample rates, start/seek/stop, everything! I am so very glad. :)

Enjoy!

8 hours ago, jma2 said:

Expecting my 2.8 card in the "near future" (depending on postal services in these Corona times...)

So I suppose the upgrade from 2.7 to 2.8 in view of the above message should be:

-3)  2.7 -> System -> Power Down

-2) Disconnect Power Supply

-1) Swap 2.7 card for 2.8 card

0) Connect Power Supply and boot SO 2.8

-> Now follow steps 1-7 above?

(with respect to step 7. I assume when the "Back to Main Link" appears at the bottom of the update, the system is the same state as after System -> Power Down)

Could you confirm this or point to the correct sequence please? (A sticky at the start of the thread with the upgrade procedure would be nice, or did I miss it/something similar)

Thanks in advance and keep safe!

If you are receiving a new card now you should:

1. Power disconnect power supply from the Rendu.

2. Swap the 2.7 micro SD card for the 2.8 micro SD card.

3. Connect power supply and boot SO 2.8.

4. When the unit boots go to Apps / Software Manager and press Update waiting for the Back to Main Menu Link.

5. Power cycle the Rendu and when it boots go to Settings and press Save in the protocol you plan to use.

1 hour ago, Kevin Nguyen said:

With the global Covid-19 pandemic, borders has been shutdown and airline grounded their fleet, should you consider a new software distribution method Such as downloading?

i am keen to get v2.8 but I know might not get them for a while from Australia

Doing what you propose will increase inconsistency in the products and increase support for us. Neither of these are acceptable to me. Shipping to Australia is always challenging:)    

It looks like 2.8 may still be causing overheating issues with the opticalRendu on startup.

Being stuck at home these days and looking for things to do, I decided to check on updates to my Linux server and opticalRendu. When the opticalRendu finished updating, it was not being found on my network. I tried totally powering down opticalRendu several times but that didn’t work.

Next I thought that my Google WiFi router wasn’t assigning it an IP address, I started rewiring network so that opticalRendu closer to the router (several switches, WiFi connections between opticalRendu & router) but nothing worked.

Finally I decided to power down opticalRendu for several minutes to let it cool down. On powering back up, it was recognized on the network!!

So I am concluding that the overheating issue is still there on startup. I use a 7.5v linear power supply which is mid-range on the recommended voltage so nothing extreme there.

1 hour ago, ericuco said:

It looks like 2.8 may still be causing overheating issues with the opticalRendu on startup.

Being stuck at home these days and looking for things to do, I decided to check on updates to my Linux server and opticalRendu. When the opticalRendu finished updating, it was not being found on my network. I tried totally powering down opticalRendu several times but that didn’t work.

Next I thought that my Google WiFi router wasn’t assigning it an IP address, I started rewiring network so that opticalRendu closer to the router (several switches, WiFi connections between opticalRendu & router) but nothing worked.

Finally I decided to power down opticalRendu for several minutes to let it cool down. On powering back up, it was recognized on the network!!

So I am concluding that the overheating issue is still there on startup. I use a 7.5v linear power supply which is mid-range on the recommended voltage so nothing extreme there.

Sounds like it’s working properly.

29 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Sounds like it’s working properly.

Yes, once you allow the opticalRendu to cool down for a few minutes, it works properly.

Just putting this out there for any others that might be experiencing the same issue.  I thought this behavior was solved with the latest cards (which I have) but apparently not.

Scared to touch my microRendu. It's been working fine without a hiccup for  a few weeks.

Let sleeping dogs lie.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

4 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

Scared to touch my microRendu. It's been working fine without a hiccup for  a few weeks.

Let sleeping dogs lie.

That is funny...I update everything I get my hands on. However, the update coming down the pipe line just adds functionality for new devices so no need to update if you are good.

On 3/23/2020 at 11:19 AM, bobflood said:

Hi JR, The HQP NAA has been updated AGAIN today to 4.1.1. Please let Andrew know. I know he has not had time to do the 4.1 update yet with all that is happening but I wanted to let you know so you did not end up doing it twice.  Thanks for all and stay well.

This update seemed important so it’s available now. Understand we want to be up to date, but that can sometimes be a double edge sword. 

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

This update seemed important so it’s available now. Understand we want to be up to date, but that can sometimes be a double edge sword. 

Understood. I am sorry if I appeared to be bugging you but I just wanted to be sure all of you knew about it. It is hard to tell which ones are important and which are trivial.  Thanks Again!

52 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Update Notice

There is an update available for Sonic Orbiter 2.8 which adds native DSD support for additional DACs. One note worthy addition is support for native DSD on all Ayre DACs that support DSD. The update takes a few minutes so be patient and wait for the Back to Main Menu link before you reboot the unit.

That update was huge. You guys are going to need a faster server. :)

There is an update available for Sonic Orbiter 2.8 which adds native DSD support for additional DACs.

Hi Jesus,

Unfortunately for Simaudio Moon owners, native DSD support over USB is still not available following this update. On Moon 380D/780D USB DACs, streaming DSD to USB must be done through DOP, which limits DSD format to DSD128 since the Moon max PCM sample rate is 384 kHz.

What would need to be changed in Moon firmware to allow DSD256 streaming over USB from a Linux kernel like the one on SonicOrbiter units ? I know that this is possible if the Moon DAC is directly connected to a Windows machine on which a custom ASIO driver is installed, but this is out of question for me.

Best regards

20 minutes ago, André Gosselin said:

Hi Jesus,

Unfortunately for Simaudio Moon owners, native DSD support over USB is still not available following this update. On Moon 380D/780D USB DACs, streaming DSD to USB must be done through DOP, which limits DSD format to DSD128 since the Moon max PCM sample rate is 384 kHz.

What would need to be changed in Moon firmware to allow DSD256 streaming over USB from a Linux kernel like the one on SonicOrbiter units ? I know that this is possible if the Moon DAC is directly connected to a Windows machine on which a custom ASIO driver is installed, but this is out of question for me.

Best regards

Post the output of Apps / DAC Diagnostics here so I can see what if anything can be done. 

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

Post the output of Apps / DAC Diagnostics here so I can see what if anything can be done. 

Jesus,

Thanks for looking into this.

Here is the requested Apps / DAC Diagnostics output.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

DAC Diagnostics

This is a list of audio output devices attached to this player.

USB output

DAC description: MOON USB DSD HD Audio      2397:000d

Diagnostic information for this DAC

Simaudio Ltd. MOON USB DSD HD Audio at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
    Interface = 2
    Altset = 1
    Packet Size = 144
    Momentary freq = 96003 Hz (0xc.001c)
    Feedback Format = 16.16
  Interface 2
    Altset 1
    Format: S32_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 5 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 32000, 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000
    Data packet interval: 125 us
    Bits: 32
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 96000 (96000/1)
period_size: 2400
buffer_size: 4800
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 32767
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 32767 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 32767 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',1
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 32767
  Mono: Playback 32767 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
11 hours ago, André Gosselin said:

Hi Jesus,

Best regards

If Moon does not update there USB firmware we can't support it streaming native DSD. Only DSD via DoP is currently supported as configured by them up to DSD128 via any Linux based unit. They would need to add an Altset that supports the DSD_U32_BE streaming format.

If Moon does not update there USB firmware we can't support it streaming native DSD. Only DSD via DoP is currently supported as configured by them up to DSD128 via any Linux based unit. They would need to add an Altset that supports the DSD_U32_BE streaming format.

Hi,
is there a list somewhere of DAC’s that are now supported with Native DSD streaming on sonicorbiter 2.8 please?

@vortecjr Any idea why I can't get Roon to stream native DSD to an Ayre QB-9 Twenty? Perhaps there is no altset for this or the QB-9 DACs aren't included in this capability? 

DAC description: Ayre QB-9 Twenty      21b4:0230

Diagnostic information for this DAC

Ayre Acoustics, Inc. Ayre QB-9 Twenty at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
  Interface 1
    Altset 1
    Format: S32_LE
    Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000
  Interface 1
    Altset 2
    Format: SPECIAL
    Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000
Status: Unknown (status not available when device is not playing)
Simple mixer control 'Ayre QB-9 Twenty ',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 127
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Ayre QB-9 Twenty ',1
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 127
  Mono: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Has anyone been able to stream using SonicOrbiter and Roon with a Quad VA-One+, the neat tube integrated amp/DAC ? The company site is not very specific, other than "you can plug in a Mac or Windows computer", and that there is a Windows driver to download.

Being Linux based, I'm thinking the answer is no with SonicOrbiter?

Many thanks

Vincent