IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

Received my 2.8 update card today for my opticalRendu and everything went well, no startup issues. Been playing music for about an hour without any issues.

The oR recognized my TPA DAC (JL Sounds USB board) with no problems. Typically getting the oR to recognize the TPA DAC has been a huge hassle so great to see that has been resolved.

By comparison, the oR usually plays nice with my Holo Cyan DAC in that it is easily recognized.

1 hour ago, ericuco said:

Received my 2.8 update card today for my opticalRendu and everything went well, no startup issues. Been playing music for about an hour without any issues.

The oR recognized my TPA DAC (JL Sounds USB board) with no problems. Typically getting the oR to recognize the TPA DAC has been a huge hassle so great to see that has been resolved.

By comparison, the oR usually plays nice with my Holo Cyan DAC in that it is easily recognized.

Awesome...enjoy!

@vortecjr does 2.8 contain changes to how network traffic is handled?

The reason for asking is that I have always had the occasional dropout of a few seconds during playback. It was a bit random in that no dropouts for a few days then a few dropouts would occur. No idea what in the network chain causes these dropout (server, NAS, switches, oR, ...). Been a real head scratcher. I monitor CPU usage & network traffic in/out of server and whenever a dropout occurs it clearly shows in those monitors.

So far, no dropouts with 2.8 after several hours of use so hopefully whatever is in 2.8 has solved the dropouts. Fingers crossed.

53 minutes ago, ericuco said:

@vortecjr does 2.8 contain changes to how network traffic is handled?

The reason for asking is that I have always had the occasional dropout of a few seconds during playback. It was a bit random in that no dropouts for a few days then a few dropouts would occur. No idea what in the network chain causes these dropout (server, NAS, switches, oR, ...). Been a real head scratcher. I monitor CPU usage & network traffic in/out of server and whenever a dropout occurs it clearly shows in those monitors.

So far, no dropouts with 2.8 after several hours of use so hopefully whatever is in 2.8 has solved the dropouts. Fingers crossed.

Sonic Orbiter 2.8 contains changes to everything...its a new operating system not a patch or update to some applications.

14 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Sonic Orbiter 2.8 contains changes to everything...its a new operating system not a patch or update to some applications.

I would give such an update the 3.0 status to make that more clear (major update vs. minor update).

14 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Is there any reason to believe the 2.8 draw more power or have some higher power peaks than 2.7 ?

I’m asking cause I got some challenges after the upgrade. 

8 hours ago, satbaba said:

I ordered my SD card on January 28
I paid for the order, but it's been 40 days today, unfortunately it hasn't arrived yet :(

That would have shipped already. If you are overseas it can take a while. You can contact Small Green Computer for confirmation. 

Installed 2.8.  microrendu 1.4 not working as control points don't see it. Power is on and I get the flashing ethernet light.  According to the network app everything is fine. DAC shows up fine. Mconnect, Kazoo, nor Lumin see it.  Tried taking out the LPS1.2 but no change.  Took out etherREGEN and still nothing. Please help.

DAC diagnostics:

USB output

DAC description: Schiit Yggdrasil Unison USB      30be:1001

Diagnostic information for this DAC

Schiit Audio Schiit Yggdrasil Unison USB at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
  Interface 1
    Altset 1
    Format: S16_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000
    Data packet interval: 125 us
    Bits: 16
  Interface 1
    Altset 2
    Format: S24_3LE
    Bits: 24
  Interface 1
    Altset 3
    Format: S32_LE
    Bits: 32
Status: Unknown (status not available when device is not playing)
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
13 minutes ago, JHG said:

Installed 2.8.  microrendu 1.4 not working as control points don't see it. Power is on and I get the flashing ethernet light.  According to the network app everything is fine. DAC shows up fine. Mconnect, Kazoo, nor Lumin see it.  Tried taking out the LPS1.2 but no change.  Took out etherREGEN and still nothing. Please help.

DAC diagnostics:

USB output

DAC description: Schiit Yggdrasil Unison USB      30be:1001

Diagnostic information for this DAC

Schiit Audio Schiit Yggdrasil Unison USB at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
  Interface 1
    Altset 1
    Format: S16_LE
    Bits: 16
  Interface 1
    Altset 2
    Format: S24_3LE
    Bits: 24
  Interface 1
    Altset 3
    Format: S32_LE
    Bits: 32

Status: Unknown (status not available when device is not playing)

Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]

Go to Settings / MPD DLNA and press Save.

33 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Did you try the Compatibility box?

No luck.  Lumin does see the rendu now, shows the playlist is playing but no sound.  Mconnect and Kazoo still don't see the rendu. And I stopped using Lumin anyway since I stream Tidal and Qobuz.

7 minutes ago, JHG said:

No luck.  Lumin does see the rendu now, shows the playlist is playing but no sound.  Mconnect and Kazoo still don't see the rendu. And I stopped using Lumin anyway since I stream Tidal and Qobuz.

In the current Compatibility mode you just set Lumin is supported. The opposite Compatibility mode should support Mconnect and Kazoo. 

56 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

In the current Compatibility mode you just set Lumin is supported. The opposite Compatibility mode should support Mconnect and Kazoo. 

I understand.  But if unchecked Mconnect and Kazoo still didn't see the rendu.

50 minutes ago, JHG said:

I understand.  But if unchecked Mconnect and Kazoo still didn't see the rendu.

You got me. It's working fine here.  

Try this:

1. Stop playback on all apps.

2. Close all apps.

3. Go to Settings / MPD DLNA and press Save.

4. Open mConnect and go to Playto.

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

You got me. It's working fine here.  

Try this:

1. Stop playback on all apps.

2. Close all apps.

3. Go to Settings / MPD DLNA and press Save.

4. Open mConnect and go to Playto.

I had tried all that.  Just left it alone for a few hours.  Just checked and mConnect is working now.  Compatibility mode is checked.  I have no idea why.  If it continues, we are good. Thanks!

Just a short feedback: I have been running 2.8 and updated apps over the last few weeks and never had a dropout again. It is running DLNA rock solid on all PCM/DSD sample rates, start/seek/stop, everything! I am so very glad. :)

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

6 minutes ago, Matias said:

Just a short feedback: I have been running 2.8 and updated apps over the last few weeks and never had a dropout again. It is running DLNA rock solid on all PCM/DSD sample rates, start/seek/stop, everything! I am so very glad. :)

Same here using HQP NAA app, no dropouts ever since I upgraded to 2.8 a few weeks ago.

I have been trying to determine the source of dropouts for over a year. Glad it is solved. Fingers crossed.

On 2/18/2020 at 2:24 AM, vortecjr said:

Sonic Orbiter 2.8 has not been working well so I have asked Andrew to suspend sales and shipments of SonicOrbiter 2.8 until such time that we can correct this issue. The symptom for those of you with Sonic Orbiter 2.8 is that the unit shuts down during playback and the status LED turns off. This requires a power cycle to get it going again, but the unit will not boot until you remove power and wait a few minutes. Today we released an update to Sonic Orbiter 2.8 that should help improve the stability of the operating system.  

Please follow this update procedure to obtain the latest update. 

1. Stop all audio playback at the server/controller. 

2. Disconnect the USB device.

3. Wait a few minutes. 

4. Go to Apps / Software Manager and press Update.

5. Wait for the update to precede and ignore any errors.

6. Wait for the Back to Main Link at the bottom of the update.

7. Pull the power cable and wait a few second and reconnect the power cable.

Please contact both myself and Andrew about your purchase should you have any questions or comments at [email protected] and [email protected].

Expecting my 2.8 card in the "near future" (depending on postal services in these Corona times...)

So I suppose the upgrade from 2.7 to 2.8 in view of the above message should be:

-3)  2.7 -> System -> Power Down

-2) Disconnect Power Supply

-1) Swap 2.7 card for 2.8 card

0) Connect Power Supply and boot SO 2.8

-> Now follow steps 1-7 above?

(with respect to step 7. I assume when the "Back to Main Link" appears at the bottom of the update, the system is the same state as after System -> Power Down)

Could you confirm this or point to the correct sequence please? (A sticky at the start of the thread with the upgrade procedure would be nice, or did I miss it/something similar)

Thanks in advance and keep safe!