vortecjr

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, reruam said:

It’s advertised as doing Spotify connect and it doesn’t.

The Sonore website states (for opticalRendu)

Mode #6 - Spotify Connect Output - This output can be controlled by your computer or tablet running the Spotify application. This application is based on librespot which is an open source client library for Spotify. The application is in Beta form.

NUC7PJYH/AL --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10 Version 1903/HDPLEX 200W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

10 hours ago, reruam said:

“The cost is not about the card, is about the work involved to prepare the new version.

It is like paying for a new version update of a software. And the former version still works so we are not forced to upgrade.”

Well that’s true, if it works...

When I read the ad from SGC for the upgrade it says it fixes Spotify connection issues...

Well guess what.. Spotify connect doesn’t work in my system with 2 generations of Rendus...original and now an optical...

That’s ok for me but my wife uses Spotify.

So once again the bad taste.  It’s advertised as doing Spotify connect and it doesn’t.

Now an upgrade comes along that fixes something it was supposed to do and I have to pay $30 for it?

Sorry but that doesn’t seem right.

Regardless of generations if you are not running Sonic Orbiter 2.8 it's more likely than not that Spotify is not working. All attempts were made to resolve this under Sonic Orbiter 2.5, but unfortunately it became a requirement for us to update the Fedora version to keep up with the developer of that application.    

6 hours ago, André Gosselin said:

I received today a new opticalrendu SD 2.8 card, as a replacement for a previous bad card which did not boot. The new card boots, and was carefully set up using the exact same settings as used on my previous SD2.7 card, and making sure all setings were properly saved. The new card is correctly seen in SonicOrbiter.com .

The orendu is powered by a SGC 7V/50W LPS, and connected by USB to a SimAudio Moon 780D dac.

I am however running into a new set of problems. With SD 2.8 installed and streaming a local DSD 128 track through Roon .the track plays for about 2-3 minutes, then the orendu simply shuts off. After disconnecting the orendu and powering it on again, the red led at the back stays on constantly, and the orendu eventually shuts off.

If I reinstall the SD 2.7 card, the same track plays without any problems.

If I remove the SD 2.7 card and reinstall the SD 2.8 card, I note that I have no problem playing (through Roon) a 176/24 version of the track. Trying again to play the DSD128 version produces the same problem as before: the orendu shuts off after a couple of minutes and refuses to boot anymore after a disconnect/reconnect sequence.

I have attached screenshots of my RoonReady settings in SonicOrbiter, and in Roon Device setup.

In summary:

- The issue occurs only with SD 2.8 card

- The issue occurs only with DSD 128 tracks. I did not try with DSD 64 tracks. I could not try with DSD256 and DSD 512, because my DAC limits me to DSD 128/DOP.

- This issue can be replicated at will on my system

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will be glad to contribute any needed information.

I would say update the unit, press Save in Settings/RoonReady, then reboot. Continue your test and if the issue happens again try to generate a RoonReady log. Then email the log to me so I can forward it to Roon for comments.  

Aha! I have this problem too. I've had to shift upsampling to DSD 128 to my Sony headphone amp as upsampling from Roon into optical rendu using 2.8 will play for only a minute or so before rendu suddenly shuts down.

Desktop: MacBook Pro - iFi USB3 - Mytek Brooklyn - Qualia Physic 271 - Fostex TH900

13 minutes ago, johnwilk said:

Aha! I have this problem too. I've had to shift upsampling to DSD 128 to my Sony headphone amp as upsampling from Roon into optical rendu using 2.8 will play for only a minute or so before rendu suddenly shuts down.

Does it shut down if you are not up sampling? Have you pressed update to see if a new version of RoonReady is added?

Just now, vortecjr said:

Sonore is not responsible for that product.

This is the Sonicorbiter tread, and that OS is also part of the SonicTransporter or am I wrong ?

And isn’t Andrew part of the team developing the 2.8 version ?

5 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

This is the Sonicorbiter tread, and that OS is also part of the SonicTransporter or am I wrong ?

And isn’t Andrew part of the team developing the 2.8 version ?

Yes and yes. It’s a SGC product though and Andrew is the best person to ask that question. 

20 hours ago, mtcs said:

I'm curious, has anyone has heard an SQ difference with 2.8 on an ultraRendu? Thanks.

I've had it in for about a month now and feel it sounds better. No comparison made, and by how much I don't know. It's subtle and may vary from unit to unit (I have an mR 1.4) but it sounds just that much' fuller' to me for lack of a better description. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK and OWC external 2.5" HD (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (HDPLEX 100)>LIVING ROOM:>Sonore opticalModule (Sonore Power Supply w/ SR Black fuse))>Ghent Audio JSSG Cat 6a cable>Sonore microRendu 1.4> (Uptone ) Uptone USPCB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 110>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics.

OFFICE:Naim Unitiqute V1>NACA5>KEF Ls50's, Cisco 2960PD. BJC cabling for ethernet aside from the Ghent and Naim stock AC cables with Wattgate or HifiKing Plugs. 

On 2/10/2020 at 8:08 PM, vortecjr said:

I think in your case we should look at you sending in the units for us to get them working. 

That's fine although I think I only need to send in the most recent unit as the older one works with all four cards. What's the next step from here?

@johnwilk, @André Gosselin, I am playing DSD 256 and DSD 512 here all the time (I oversample everything) with SO 2.8 with no issues, so I do not think your experiences are an inherent problem with SO 2.8.  This does not mean you are not experiencing problems, but i do find it a bit odd?  At this moment I am playing a native DSD 128 album via ROON (usually I would oversample this to DSD 256) just to test, so far no issues...

I would advise making sure your SO and ROON both have the most recent versions (run updates), and check again.

ROON: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModule-Signature Rendu optical--Buffalo PRO or DSC-2--Ncore 400 Stereo-Focus Audio FS888-JL E-112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY AC cables, Iconoclast XLR, Iconoclast speaker, cables, Synergistic Orange & Hi Fi Tuning Supreme Cu Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.    Design/Build Consultant with Sonore

SONORE computer audio

On 2/11/2020 at 4:57 PM, Axiom05 said:

Using an ultraRendu with SO 2.8 in MPD/DLNA mode and using Rigelian as MPD client. I just ran an update, the first since initially installing and updating with new card, and my MPD database was wiped out in the process. After the update Rigelian could find no albums so I had to rebuild the MPD database. This never happened with any other version of SonicOrbiter. Is this going to be the norm from here forward?

@vortecjr Jesus, I would appreciate some kind of comment on this behavior. As I said, never saw anything like this with 2,5, 2.6 or 2.7.

(MPD/Rigelian), Sonore ultraRendu, Sonore ultraDigital, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

10 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I would say update the unit, press Save in Settings/RoonReady, then reboot. Continue your test and if the issue happens again try to generate a RoonReady log. Then email the log to me so I can forward it to Roon for comments.  

6 hours ago, barrows said:

@johnwilk, @André Gosselin, I am playing DSD 256 and DSD 512 here all the time (I oversample everything) with SO 2.8 with no issues, so I do not think your experiences are an inherent problem with SO 2.8.  This does not mean you are not experiencing problems, but i do find it a bit odd?  At this moment I am playing a native DSD 128 album via ROON (usually I would oversample this to DSD 256) just to test, so far no issues...

I would advise making sure your SO and ROON both have the most recent versions (run updates), and check again.

I did what @vortecjrsuggested.I went to SonicOrbiter.com > Apps .Software Manager, clicked update, and unfortunately the update did not complete. Looking at the back of my opticalrendu, I saw it had shut off. Repeated a few times the sequence "Disconnect/reconnect/ wait a long time"  had no success, as the red led went on permanently and the unit eventually  shuts off at the end.

The only way I found to bring the orendu 2.8 back to life was to take a detour through the previous SD 2.7 card, eg:

1- disconnect the orendu 2- remove the SD 2.8 card 3- put back the previous SD 2.7 card 4- verify settings in Sonicorbiter.com 5- Play my DSD 128 album both through Roon and MPD/DLNA to make sure that the orendu 2.7 was correctly functionning 6- disconnect, eject SD 2.7 card, reinstall SD 2.8 card, reconnect. Only then was I able to get SD 2.8 card  to boot.

I tried an update a second time, but with the same sad results. Repeated above procedure to get a booting SD 2,8 card.

I then went to SonicOrbiter.com to make sure to resave (for the nth time!) the MPD/DLNA and RoonReady settings. The orendu shut off again during the process. I repeated he laborious process above to get orendu 2,8 to boot again, went to the RoonReady settings to check they were OK (no save this time!), went to the Audio App Switcher to make sure RoonReady was on. I then tried to play theDSD64 version of my album through Roon. Everything was OK. (Remember that yesterday I did not have time to try streaming the DSD64 version).

I next tried to experiment with MPD/DLNA. Went to SonicOrbiter.com to check DLNA settings (no save!) and Audio App switcher to activate MPD/DLNA. I streamed the DSD64 version of the album with no issue. I next tried to stream the DSD128 version. My orendu played for about 2 minutes, then it shut off as it did yesterday when playing the same DSD128 version through Roon. My feeling is that RoonReady has nothing to do here, IMHO

As a final step, I reinstalled the SD 2.7 card, and rebooted my orendu with no issue. Everything now plays correcly as it was the case since I received my orendu during the Black Friday pre-sale. I love my orendu, please be sure. I will leave it like that for the time being.

@barrows Thanks for your advice, but I think I have honestly tried everything you suggested, without success. Yes it is odd, but that is the way it is, believe me. Reinstall the 2,7 card, and everything steams perfectly, PCM & DSD. Install the 2,8 card,and problems start to accumulate: difficulties booting the card, failure to update the software and maneuver through SonicOrbiter.com, unit shutting off, DSD64 playing but not DSD128, etc. If the orendu with SD 2.7 card works perfectly, this seems to indicate the hardware is OK. If simply installing SD 2.8 generate all those problems on my system, may I humbly suggest that the 2.8 update is somewhat responsible for that ?  I think your system is much more elaborate than mine with the top of the line Rendu model Are you running the exact same SO version that I have, or is it a special version ?

Could someone advise on what to do next ? Could Sonore remotely logging in on my system help, running diagnstics, etc ? I am ready to provide any help .

Regards

5 minutes ago, André Gosselin said:

@barrows Thanks for your advice, but I think I have honestly tried everything you suggested, without success. Yes it is odd, but that is the way it is, believe me. Reinstall the 2,7 card, and everything steams perfectly, PCM & DSD. Install the 2,8 card,and problems start to accumulate: difficulties booting the card, failure to update the software and maneuver through SonicOrbiter.com, unit shutting off, DSD64 playing but not DSD128, etc. If the orendu with SD 2.7 card works perfectly, this seems to indicate the hardware is OK. If simply installing SD 2.8 generate all those problems on my system, may I humbly suggest that the 2.8 update is somewhat responsible for that ?  I think your system is much more elaborate than mine with the top of the line Rendu model Are you running the exact same SO version that I have, or is it a special version ?

First, I am sorry you are having these problems, and by no means do I think you are doing anything "wrong".  Yes, i am using the Signature Rendu, but the software and main board are essentially the same as the oR, so I cannot imagine any differences  from how things work with the oR.  Unless there is something at fault with your oR power supply, which I also highly doubt.

There is one more thing I would like you to try before I hand you off to Jesus for further help (he handles most of this and is more aware of possible issues than i am).

If the oR will not boot up at all with the 2.8 card, then you would need a new card, but try this:

be sure the Network is all powered up and working, with 2.7 in the oR.  Shut down the oR from SO.com, then remove the DC cable from the oR.  Remove the 2.7 card and install the 2.8 card (make sure your DAC is connected via USB with a good USB cable and no add ons and is powered up).  Now power up the oR by inserting the DC cable (hot, make sure the power supply is running when you do this).  Allow as much time as is necessary for the oR to boot, wait until the rear panel light is Green which indicates the oR is fully booted and on the Network, and that it sees the Internet.  If it will not boot to the "green" condition, request a replacement card from Sonore.

If it does boot, then, open SO.com and run software update, when it says "return to main menu", do so (but do not re-boot), instead, run software update again.  With the second running of software update it should appear that everything is OK at the end of the list.  Now, go back to the main menu, and re-boot the oR through the "system" button on SO.com.  Give it time, do not worry if the screen says it cannot find the server, wait until the oR has the green light on it.  Once you have a green light on the oR, click the refresh button on your web browser, and SO.com should then be able to show the oR.  If you get here everything should be good and you should test again.

But, if the oR still does not fully boot (red light on the back panel), power cycle it by removing the DC cable from the oR, waiting ten seconds or so, and replacing the DC cable.

I do not know anything really about what problems could be occurring with 2.8 and the software update process, but I have had some issues here as well (I update all Signatures I build/upgrade here before I ship them out to customers), but following the above procedure has always resulted in success for me.  Sometimes the oR seems to hang in the re-boot process from SO.com (not fully booting, light on oR staying Red) but a hard re-boot by removing and replacing the power supply always clears the problem and allows the unit to re-boot fully to the "green" condition.  Oh yeah, it is a good idea to also go to "settings" and click "save" after the final re-boot as well-sorry forgot to include that, although it does not always seem critical.

Again, if none of this works, request a new card from Sonore.

ROON: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModule-Signature Rendu optical--Buffalo PRO or DSC-2--Ncore 400 Stereo-Focus Audio FS888-JL E-112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY AC cables, Iconoclast XLR, Iconoclast speaker, cables, Synergistic Orange & Hi Fi Tuning Supreme Cu Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.    Design/Build Consultant with Sonore

SONORE computer audio

7 hours ago, daverich4 said:

That's fine although I think I only need to send in the most recent unit as the older one works with all four cards. What's the next step from here?

Just contact us for an RMA number and shipping instructions. 

6 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

@vortecjr Jesus, I would appreciate some kind of comment on this behavior. As I said, never saw anything like this with 2,5, 2.6 or 2.7.

Early on we had an issue with the MPD update which required a new script. A full replacement of MPD causes the folder to be wiped out. 

3 hours ago, André Gosselin said:

Could someone advise on what to do next ? Could Sonore remotely logging in on my system help, running diagnstics, etc ? I am ready to provide any help.

You are going to have to email us for that so we can set it up.

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

Early on we had an issue with the MPD update which required a new script. A full replacement of MPD causes the folder to be wiped out. 

But this update did not change MPD at all. I already had version 0.21.19 on my ultraRendu. In fact, I'm not sure what the update did except update the HQ Player app.

(MPD/Rigelian), Sonore ultraRendu, Sonore ultraDigital, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

7 hours ago, barrows said:

There is one more thing I would like you to try before I hand you off to Jesus for further help (he handles most of this and is more aware of possible issues than i am).

If the oR will not boot up at all with the 2.8 card, then you would need a new card, but try this:

be sure the Network is all powered up and working, with 2.7 in the oR.  Shut down the oR from SO.com, then remove the DC cable from the oR.  Remove the 2.7 card and install the 2.8 card (make sure your DAC is connected via USB with a good USB cable and no add ons and is powered up).  Now power up the oR by inserting the DC cable (hot, make sure the power supply is running when you do this).  Allow as much time as is necessary for the oR to boot, wait until the rear panel light is Green which indicates the oR is fully booted and on the Network, and that it sees the Internet.  If it will not boot to the "green" condition, request a replacement card from Sonore.

If it does boot, then, open SO.com and run software update, when it says "return to main menu", do so (but do not re-boot), instead, run software update again.

Thanks @barrowsfor your advice.Very nice of you. I was able to get the 2.8 card to boot, and gave another try to the software update in SO.com. Unfortunately it did not complete. Here is the output :

Upgrade in progress...

02/13/2020 22:07:08 - Starting upgrade. (This can take a long time...)

02/13/2020 22:07:08 - Updating sonicorbiter packages...
Packages for Sonicorbiter 123 kB/s | 47 kB 00:00
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!
02/13/2020 22:07:20 - Updating process 1 of 3 complete...
02/13/2020 22:08:04 - Updating process 2 of 3 complete...
02/13/2020 22:08:04 - Updating OS packages...

My orendu had shut down, as it did before

I will pm Jesus for further advice.

Thanks again.

Is it OK to update Sonicorbiter from 2.7 to 2.8 before loading the 2.8 build on the SD card for uRendu?  My card is on order (but not yet arrived) but I see that uRendu Software Manager app is reporting that 2.8 is now the latest.  Is it better to wait and update everything at once or can I get that bit done first?

2 minutes ago, brightonjel said:

Is it OK to update Sonicorbiter from 2.7 to 2.8 before loading the 2.8 build on the SD card for uRendu?  My card is on order (but not yet arrived) but I see that uRendu Software Manager app is reporting that 2.8 is now the latest.  Is it better to wait and update everything at once or can I get that bit done first?

I don't believe it's possible to update from 2.7 to 2.8 even though it says 2.8 is the newest version on that page. You can go through the update procedure and it will only update apps, not the OS.

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

3 hours ago, André Gosselin said:

Thanks @barrowsfor your advice.Very nice of you. I was able to get the 2.8 card to boot, and gave another try to the software update in SO.com. Unfortunately it did not complete. Here is the output :

My orendu had shut down, as it did before

I will pm Jesus for further advice.

Thanks again.

I have the excat same problem with my 2.8 card (card not physical damaged) when trying to update the software in SO.com.

Updating process 1 of 3 complete...
Updating process 2 of 3 complete...
Updating OS packages...

My opticalRendu shuts down.

4 hours ago, sgb said:

I have the excat same problem with my 2.8 card (card not physical damaged) when trying to update the software in SO.com.

Updating process 1 of 3 complete...
Updating process 2 of 3 complete...
Updating OS packages...

My opticalRendu shuts down.

I had the issue as well. 

Not sure what I did for the opticalRendu to get it going but I know it involved many power cycles on/off. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings