IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

6 minutes ago, JBNY said:

So I am paying the $20 but this just feels like a money grab to me. I got this unit during its first few months of launch and it hasn't even been a year and the development cycle has ended? New features only include native dsd support for some DACs, spotify and songcast? For people using this on roon and have a DoP DSD DAC, this just feels like $20 for no reason. Extremely disappointing. 

If there isn't something in the upgrade of value to you, Jesus said it's not necessary to do the update. Save the $20 and wait to see what's in the next one.

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I tried. Didn’t work with Tidal. Not IPhone XS Max, nor IPad Pro. 
Tidal sees the OpticalRendu, but no sound. 

I’m not quite sure what you mean by “Tidal sees the opticalRendu”, your iPad or iPhone needs to see it. I normally use Tidal through Roon not the app but just tried using the Tidal app on my iPad Air ll to my opticalRendu directly using Shairport and it worked fine. I could help you troubleshoot it if you’d like. 

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a 2.8 update for each of my opticalRendu’s. One of them is fine, however, one of them is not. All I get on the second one is a solid red light for a couple of minutes and then it goes out. I’m feeding it with an opticalModule and the lights next to the Ethernet cable are green on the left side and blinking orange on the right side. I’ve restarted all of the pieces multiple times but the only way I can use it so far is to put the 2.7 card back in it. That works as expected but I’d like to be able to update this opticalRendu to 2.8, the same as my other one. Can someone help me out? Thanks. 

10 minutes ago, bobflood said:

Try swapping in the 2.8 card that does work. It could be a defective card and this should tell. There are reports above of cards damaged in shipment. I am sure JR will replace it if damaged.

I’m not sure I want to do that as I don’t know whether once they’re set up if they’re specific to a device. I don’t want to mess up the one opticalRendu that IS working. The weird thing is I did the upgrade on a microRendu and ultraRendu as well with no problems. 

11 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Have a look here for what a damaged card looks like:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/29102-sonicorbiter-the-operating-system/?do=findComment&comment=1025865

If you have a damaged card just contact myself or Andrew at SGC.

I don’t see anything physically wrong with the card. I did try my other opticalRendu in the same spot and it fired right up so I know all the connections/setup are working properly. Not sure what to do next other than go back to 2.7. 

6 hours ago, vortecjr said:

You can swap the cards.

Thanks, but I use my stereo every day and there have been enough posts in this thread about problems that I don't want to take a chance on messing up the upgraded OR. The one that won't upgrade drives my headphone system and works fine with the 2.7 card in it. If I ever decide that it matters to me I'll order another 2.8 card and give it try again. Thanks.

On 2/7/2020 at 10:20 AM, jcn3 said:

all of the information/data lives on the card -- nothing is in the hardware.  you can't mess up anything by trying the card in the other rendu.

I'm a little surprised at the number of people that think I should mess with my working unit in order to further test the one that did not upgrade. I already know what is wrong, the new 2.8 card is either defective or damaged. No further testing required. The cards are cheap enough that I don't feel the need to jump through any more hoops to get Sonore to replace it. Hopefully the new one will be shipped in something more substantial than a letter sized envelope but it is what it is.

On 2/8/2020 at 6:36 PM, vortecjr said:

You did say, "Can someone help me out?" Anyway, you have an issue which may require you to send the unit in. Knowing if the card boots with a different card known to boot will tell what we need to know. Taking a hard stance may delay resolving your issue because a new card may not be your issue.

In for a penny, in for a pound. I thought as long as I was swapping cards I'd try them all.

I have two opticalRendus. One purchased as soon as they were available and a newer one that was a Christmas present so about 2 months old. The newer one is the unit that isn't working properly.

Both 2.7 cards work in both units.

Both 2.8 cards work in the older unit.

One 2.8 card worked for just over a day in the newer unit and then quit working. I'm not able to get it to work again.

The second 2.8 card has never worked in the newer unit and none of the suggestions here have helped.

As far as I can determine, all four cards work with the older unit.

Both 2.7 cards work with the newer unit but neither 2.8 card does.

Thanks.

Not sure if this is a good place to post this but Sonicorbiter - The Operating System is locked so I thought this was the next best place. I did the upgrade to the 2.8 OS for both of my opticalRendus several days ago and, knock on wood, both of them seem to working correctly since then. I'm glad @vortecjr said to ignore the errors as the update went along because there were a lot of them but everything went off without a hitch and I'm now current on the OS. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

2.7 is your back up. Anyway, what I need to know is how far the updates got? Did it finish and give you a link Back to Main Menu? If they did not let me know so we can work around it and get you updated.   

They both got back to the Main Menu and I did the requested reboot on both of them. Somehow, that process didn’t complete but when I unplugged them, let them sit for a minute and then plugged them back in both units came back online. 

1 hour ago, barrows said:

If you re-boot from sonicorbiter.com, and get the message: "cannot connect to server", or something like that, just wait a  minute, and refresh the webpage: the Rendu should appear then.  It seems to me, that sometimes, sonicorbiter.com times out, expecting the Rendu to re-boot faster than it does.  If you refresh the page after the Rendu has had a chance to fully re-boot, it shows up.

Perhaps @vortecjr can confirm my suspicion here.

I got the reboot countdown timer as expected but when that got to zero both units just stayed with the red light on. After about 30 minutes waiting on each unit I unplugged them both and when powered up again each of them came back online in the normal length of time. So, everything is working again, I’m good.