IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

2 hours ago, Elberoth said:

Some people even argue the BOM (bill of materials) for microRendu is as low as $120:

And they may be right. I said $150 to account for the box etc. It doesn't change the fact that they charge you ~$500 for each unit sold for their IP. Which of course is their prerogative. I'm mentioning it only 'cos, I would imagine the $500 you already paid with the constant stream from newsold mRs should give them plenty of money to pay for the development costs ... 

On the other hand, I estimate the BoM of SOtM sMS-200 to be closer to $200. Not only that - the sMS-200 is sold through a regular distributor/dealer network, which means that from the $499 they charge, they only receive ~$300. That is only ~$100 over BoM for each unit sold. In other words - Sonore profit is 5x as high. 

MicroRendu is not only a cheaper product selling for more ($150 in BOM, sold factory direct for $640). As a consequence, it is less substantially built and just doesn't sound as good. 

And to meke things worse for Sonore, their customer service is sub par in my experience compared to SOtM. 

I believe rendu BOM cost will be lower than 150, manufacturing cost is hard to say depend on Volume and manufacturing location, it still very cheap if mass production. For today market 5-6X of selling price to BOM cost is very norm for any branded product, I can bet SOtM mark up are similar to Sonore. If you look at high end speaker or cable, you can easily find 100K speaker or 20K cable, what you think about their BOM cost? I can assure you their mark up is at least 10X, worth it or not it's up to individual, why don't just move on if you feel that not for you.