IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

11 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

No. The new micro SD card will be configured for RoonReady by default. If you want to use any of the other output modes just go to Settings and select the output mode you want and press Save.  

Jesus,

My question was an honest one. There may not be a ton of settings in the microrendu setup, but there are more than just the choice of the output mode as you seem to say. For ex., on the Sonore UPnPBridge Settings page, I see four different settings:

- Player name

- Renderer name

- Max sample rate

- Output format

On the Squeezelite Settings page, I see even more :

- Player name

- Audio device

- Buffer size

- Period count

- etc...

On the Localization Setings page :

- Time zone

- Language

You just wrote :

17 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Our philosophy is to make this as simple and efficient as possible. We are looking for a true key solution...pop out the old card and insert the new one and your are done. 

Again, there may not be that many settings in the microrendu setup, but IMHO some consideration has to be given to the config of users upgrading from 2.3 to 2.5 version if you want to make it "as simple and efficient as possible", and I do not think my concern is silly.

So, would you allow me to raise the question again ?

Regards,

10 hours ago, sockpit said:

I created an open home renderer in bubbleupnp app on the u Rendu to work with lumin and kazoo.

9 hours ago, vortecjr said:

You don't actually need to do that to get started playing music via the MPD/DLNA output mode. When the application starts it will already be a OpenHome Renderer. I'm not sure if Sonicorbiter 2.3 works this way, but we made sure Sonicorbiter 2.5 does. You may need to use BubbleUPnP Server for other reasons. I use it because I'm use to it. Anyway, this is the only page that you need to configure:

Jesus, you got me confused here about the need for BubbleUPnPServer following the 2.5 update. Is it still needed to use lumin or kazoo as control points to drive the mrendu in DLNA mode ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • vortecjr unlocked this topic
  • 2 months later...
10 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Update notification

A couple of days ago we updated the operating system with regard to Roon / RoonReady. If you use Roon and RoonReady I would be interested to know if you hear any improvement in the sounds quality of this combination.  In order to test this out you will need to update your unit via Apps / Software Manager.

Ran the software update an hour go. Checking the update output, I could not see any reference to Roon/RoonReady, only to a GUI update. Unfortunately , I did not save that update report.

Now my urendu OS is a 2.7, and roonready is at level 1.1.36. Is this what I should see after the update ? What should we expect out of this update, if it ever occured ?

Regards,

• 4 months later...
On 10/6/2019 at 7:13 AM, vortecjr said:

Modernization of the Linux kernel, fix Spotify support, update all the other apps, switch to version of SqueezeLite that has on going support from it's developer. This is an SD card purchase because the jump is significant and complex.  

Do you know if the linux kernel modernization will include support for native DSD through usb on the ESS  ES90186 Sabre 32 chip ? Up to now on SonicOrbiter, DSD must be streamed in DOP on usb, which limits DSD streams to dsd128. Native dsd256 streaming on usb is possible on  Windows, but with the use of a special ASIO driver. Being able have the same for linux would be nice.

Regards

André

12 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Where did you get that information:) Linux supports both Native DSD and DSD via DoP. No proprietary ASIO drive needed.

My question was not about whether Linux can support streaming in Native DSD vs DoP. My question was about the future SonicOrbiter 2.8 linux kernel support for native DSD on USB DACs equipped with the  ESS  ES90186 Sabre 32 chip,like my SimAudio 780Dv2. Currently, in SonicOrbiter 2.7, native DSD is not supported for this DAC, and SonicOrbiter must be parametrized to stream DSD using  DoP, which means streaming at most DSD128 given that this DAC cannot go above 386 kHz.

I hope my concern is clearer now, and that native DSD will be supported on my SimAudio 780Dv2 DAC in SonicOrbiter 2.8.

Regards,

André

• 2 months later...

I received today a new opticalrendu SD 2.8 card, as a replacement for a previous bad card which did not boot. The new card boots, and was carefully set up using the exact same settings as used on my previous SD2.7 card, and making sure all setings were properly saved. The new card is correctly seen in SonicOrbiter.com .

The orendu is powered by a SGC 7V/50W LPS, and connected by USB to a SimAudio Moon 780D dac.

I am however running into a new set of problems. With SD 2.8 installed and streaming a local DSD 128 track through Roon .the track plays for about 2-3 minutes, then the orendu simply shuts off. After disconnecting the orendu and powering it on again, the red led at the back stays on constantly, and the orendu eventually shuts off.

If I reinstall the SD 2.7 card, the same track plays without any problems.

If I remove the SD 2.7 card and reinstall the SD 2.8 card, I note that I have no problem playing (through Roon) a 176/24 version of the track. Trying again to play the DSD128 version produces the same problem as before: the orendu shuts off after a couple of minutes and refuses to boot anymore after a disconnect/reconnect sequence.

I have attached screenshots of my RoonReady settings in SonicOrbiter, and in Roon Device setup.

In summary:

- The issue occurs only with SD 2.8 card

- The issue occurs only with DSD 128 tracks. I did not try with DSD 64 tracks. I could not try with DSD256 and DSD 512, because my DAC limits me to DSD 128/DOP.

- This issue can be replicated at will on my system

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will be glad to contribute any needed information.

SonicOrbiter RoonReady settings.jpg

Roon Device Setup.jpg

10 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I would say update the unit, press Save in Settings/RoonReady, then reboot. Continue your test and if the issue happens again try to generate a RoonReady log. Then email the log to me so I can forward it to Roon for comments.  

6 hours ago, barrows said:

@johnwilk, @André Gosselin, I am playing DSD 256 and DSD 512 here all the time (I oversample everything) with SO 2.8 with no issues, so I do not think your experiences are an inherent problem with SO 2.8.  This does not mean you are not experiencing problems, but i do find it a bit odd?  At this moment I am playing a native DSD 128 album via ROON (usually I would oversample this to DSD 256) just to test, so far no issues...

I would advise making sure your SO and ROON both have the most recent versions (run updates), and check again.

I did what @vortecjrsuggested.I went to SonicOrbiter.com > Apps .Software Manager, clicked update, and unfortunately the update did not complete. Looking at the back of my opticalrendu, I saw it had shut off. Repeated a few times the sequence "Disconnect/reconnect/ wait a long time"  had no success, as the red led went on permanently and the unit eventually  shuts off at the end.

The only way I found to bring the orendu 2.8 back to life was to take a detour through the previous SD 2.7 card, eg:

1- disconnect the orendu 2- remove the SD 2.8 card 3- put back the previous SD 2.7 card 4- verify settings in Sonicorbiter.com 5- Play my DSD 128 album both through Roon and MPD/DLNA to make sure that the orendu 2.7 was correctly functionning 6- disconnect, eject SD 2.7 card, reinstall SD 2.8 card, reconnect. Only then was I able to get SD 2.8 card  to boot.

I tried an update a second time, but with the same sad results. Repeated above procedure to get a booting SD 2,8 card.

I then went to SonicOrbiter.com to make sure to resave (for the nth time!) the MPD/DLNA and RoonReady settings. The orendu shut off again during the process. I repeated he laborious process above to get orendu 2,8 to boot again, went to the RoonReady settings to check they were OK (no save this time!), went to the Audio App Switcher to make sure RoonReady was on. I then tried to play theDSD64 version of my album through Roon. Everything was OK. (Remember that yesterday I did not have time to try streaming the DSD64 version).

I next tried to experiment with MPD/DLNA. Went to SonicOrbiter.com to check DLNA settings (no save!) and Audio App switcher to activate MPD/DLNA. I streamed the DSD64 version of the album with no issue. I next tried to stream the DSD128 version. My orendu played for about 2 minutes, then it shut off as it did yesterday when playing the same DSD128 version through Roon. My feeling is that RoonReady has nothing to do here, IMHO

As a final step, I reinstalled the SD 2.7 card, and rebooted my orendu with no issue. Everything now plays correcly as it was the case since I received my orendu during the Black Friday pre-sale. I love my orendu, please be sure. I will leave it like that for the time being.

@barrows Thanks for your advice, but I think I have honestly tried everything you suggested, without success. Yes it is odd, but that is the way it is, believe me. Reinstall the 2,7 card, and everything steams perfectly, PCM & DSD. Install the 2,8 card,and problems start to accumulate: difficulties booting the card, failure to update the software and maneuver through SonicOrbiter.com, unit shutting off, DSD64 playing but not DSD128, etc. If the orendu with SD 2.7 card works perfectly, this seems to indicate the hardware is OK. If simply installing SD 2.8 generate all those problems on my system, may I humbly suggest that the 2.8 update is somewhat responsible for that ?  I think your system is much more elaborate than mine with the top of the line Rendu model Are you running the exact same SO version that I have, or is it a special version ?

Could someone advise on what to do next ? Could Sonore remotely logging in on my system help, running diagnstics, etc ? I am ready to provide any help .

Regards

7 hours ago, barrows said:

There is one more thing I would like you to try before I hand you off to Jesus for further help (he handles most of this and is more aware of possible issues than i am).

If the oR will not boot up at all with the 2.8 card, then you would need a new card, but try this:

be sure the Network is all powered up and working, with 2.7 in the oR.  Shut down the oR from SO.com, then remove the DC cable from the oR.  Remove the 2.7 card and install the 2.8 card (make sure your DAC is connected via USB with a good USB cable and no add ons and is powered up).  Now power up the oR by inserting the DC cable (hot, make sure the power supply is running when you do this).  Allow as much time as is necessary for the oR to boot, wait until the rear panel light is Green which indicates the oR is fully booted and on the Network, and that it sees the Internet.  If it will not boot to the "green" condition, request a replacement card from Sonore.

If it does boot, then, open SO.com and run software update, when it says "return to main menu", do so (but do not re-boot), instead, run software update again.

Thanks @barrowsfor your advice.Very nice of you. I was able to get the 2.8 card to boot, and gave another try to the software update in SO.com. Unfortunately it did not complete. Here is the output :

Upgrade in progress...

02/13/2020 22:07:08 - Starting upgrade. (This can take a long time...)

02/13/2020 22:07:08 - Updating sonicorbiter packages...
Packages for Sonicorbiter 123 kB/s | 47 kB 00:00
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!
02/13/2020 22:07:20 - Updating process 1 of 3 complete...
02/13/2020 22:08:04 - Updating process 2 of 3 complete...
02/13/2020 22:08:04 - Updating OS packages...

My orendu had shut down, as it did before

I will pm Jesus for further advice.

Thanks again.
2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Update notice on Sonic Orbiter 2.8

The following Rendu Apps have been updated in the last 6 hours

Songcast

MPD / DLNA Renderer

HQ Player NAA

Spotify Connect

After running the update and rebooting through SonicOrbiter GUI (please reboot link):

1- My opticalRendu came up with the red led and eventually shut down

2- My two ultrarendus came up and stayed with the red led, never rebooting

For my 3 rendus to reboot, I had to disconnect them, let them cool down for couple of minutes, and reconnect.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

There is an update available for Sonic Orbiter 2.8 which adds native DSD support for additional DACs.

Hi Jesus,

Unfortunately for Simaudio Moon owners, native DSD support over USB is still not available following this update. On Moon 380D/780D USB DACs, streaming DSD to USB must be done through DOP, which limits DSD format to DSD128 since the Moon max PCM sample rate is 384 kHz.

What would need to be changed in Moon firmware to allow DSD256 streaming over USB from a Linux kernel like the one on SonicOrbiter units ? I know that this is possible if the Moon DAC is directly connected to a Windows machine on which a custom ASIO driver is installed, but this is out of question for me.

Best regards

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

Post the output of Apps / DAC Diagnostics here so I can see what if anything can be done. 

Jesus,

Thanks for looking into this.

Here is the requested Apps / DAC Diagnostics output.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

DAC Diagnostics

This is a list of audio output devices attached to this player.

USB output

DAC description: MOON USB DSD HD Audio      2397:000d

Diagnostic information for this DAC

Simaudio Ltd. MOON USB DSD HD Audio at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
    Interface = 2
    Altset = 1
    Packet Size = 144
    Momentary freq = 96003 Hz (0xc.001c)
    Feedback Format = 16.16
  Interface 2
    Altset 1
    Format: S32_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 5 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 32000, 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000