IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

On 4/19/2017 at 9:27 PM, vortecjr said:

Sonicorbiter 2.5 will be available soon pre-loaded on a microSD card. The microSD cards will be made available to existing customers for purchase for 20 USD. Emails with purchasing instructions will go out to customer in the coming weeks with a link to purchase the upgrade. The microRendu will be shipping with Sonicorbiter 2.5 operating system. If you purchased a microRendu in the last 30 days we will provide a microSD card in the mail with Sonicorbiter 2.5 for free.

That's great, Jesus.  I just never figured I'd have to update in this manner.  Isn't it possible to somehow download Sonicorbiter 2.5 and overwrite the existing microSD card (after making a backup)?  Did you decide that there was too much potential for us to screw this up? 

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

What kind and capacity of microSD card is used in the micro rendu?  I'd like use Miguelito's instructions to create a backup on a spare.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Then a "secret" link to the image should be the way to go. 

Maybe another motivation is protection of Sonicorbiter IP.  I don't know how you can do a 'secret' link.  Jesus always wants to keep the user experience good and avoid foreseeable support issues.  

40 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Nah... I can see exactly what is in the card I have and make an image and make another card off of that - I have tried this and it works just fine. There's no difference in terms of what you can see whether you image the card or you get it in the mail.

I was talking about IP protection by not putting an image to download on the web.  You're right though, it isn't a compelling point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2017 at 3:38 PM, kennyb123 said:

Having said that, I do anticipate seeing reports of SQ differences once 2.5 arrives, but then expect the noise to again trickle down through 2.5's lifetime.  Unless Sonore begins to publish release notes.  :-)

Following quote is from today's Upstream Audio email.  I think it meant to say higher resolution sound.  Upstream is Adrian Lebena, Jesus et al.

SONORE firmware V2.5 is now available for the micro Rendu and it’s amazing!  This firmware provide new applications, yields even higher resolute sound and now it’s a clean pass through for pure DSD DACs.  Be on watch this summer for a host of new products from SONORE. 

Has anyone got their 2.5 microSD card yet?  I ordered immediately after getting the email and I still don't have it.

13 hours ago, zorntel said:

Yes, I received it today and installed it per the instructions and it booted right up.  2.5 has completely fixed the problems I was having with playing music upsampled to DSD512 on my IFI Black Label.  Sound quality using the HQplayer NAA mode is excellent.  

Thanks for the report, Robert.  Still no 2.5 microSD for me even though I ordered it on 4/25.  I've sent a note to Andrew.

Just now, bunno77 said:

What is stopping someone uploading the file to the net so everyone can have it for free?

Do you really have to ask?  Because it would be piracy.

Jesus, do you use OpenJDK or Oracle JRE in Sonicorbiter?  Is it different between 2.3 and 2.5?

I took my microRendu and LPS-1 out of my system today to do the Sonicorbiter 2.5 upgrade.

The LPS-1 (set to 7v) was quite warm, but what surprised me is the 9v/2A iPower that I use to energize the LPS-1 was as hot if not hotter than the LPS-1.  Is this normal?

5 hours ago, esmit said:

Sonicorbiter 2.5.7 was updated to 2.5.8 when I just checked, and microRendu 1.1-3 to 1.1-4.

Sigh ... OK, Jesus, please tell us what is changed/fixed in this update.  Is there somewhere I can just look this up myself?  Thanks.

49 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

The plan is to provide the notices on dedicated thread.

That's a good idea.

• vortecjr unlocked this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sockpit said:

I think qobuz app has developed a few ways to connect including something called Qobuz Connect.

I imagine Qobuz Connect is their API.  Probably both A+ and BubbleUPnP are using it, but you would need to confirm with the developers.

A+ V3.1 is supposed to support streaming to devices like the microRendu.  The public beta is imminent.

14 hours ago, sockpit said:

But the Qobuz app is much, much better and approaches Roon for sophistication and information.

3 hours ago, jaaptina said:

But discovering other/new music streaming directly from the Qobuz app would be great. 

I agree that I really like the latest enhancements in the Qobuz app and I don't want to ruin Roon my listening experience. :D

Looks like maybe what we need is Google cast support on the microRendu.  Is this even possible?

This would be a lot simpler than using A+ Qobuz integration and the A+ remote, but let's see what Damien comes up with in A+ 3.1.  He certainly has a close relationship with Qobuz.

• 2 months later...

@vortecjr I keep losing the OpenHome instance of my microRendu.

Right now, I can play music using BubbleUPnP on my Android phone.  I would prefer to use a control point on IOS like the Lumin app.

I had this working earlier today, and suddenly the Qobuz icon disappeared from the Lumin app.

BubbleUPnP Server on the microRendu seems to be anything but robust and impossible to troubleshoot.  If I go into Apps => BubbleUPnP Server, my microRendu isn't even listed under Media Renderers, so I can't create a new OpenHome instance of it.  Yet my microRendu is out there and reachable.

I really, really need this to work reliably.  I don't want to have to run BubbleUPnP on my Windows 10 machine (where it seems to work a lot better).  Can you please look into this and help me troubleshoot.  

This app on the microRendu has been flakey since day 1 and seems to be even worse on SonicOrbiter 2.5.

@vortecjr here's an update.  Now suddenly my microRendu is listed under Media Renderers when I go to Apps => BubbleUPnP Server, and my OpenHome instance can once again been seen by control points.

I didn't do anything to make this happen.  The OpenHome instance just comes and goes unpredictably.  With the Lumin app, an easy way to detect that the OpenHome instance has gone away is that the TIDAL and Qobuz icons disappear.

Until this is resolved, I probably have to reinstall BubbleUPnP Server on my Windows 10 machine.  I don't like to do that because then my Windows 10 machine has to stay awake, and BubbleUPnP Server on Windows 10 has 32-bit Java as a prereq.  I don't like using my Android phone as a control point because it runs down my battery.  I have an iPad that is a lot more powerful and has much more screen real estate.

Like I said, I've had this problem since I first got my original microRendu.  I'm now running SonicOrbiter 2.5 on a 1.4 microRendu.

57 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I notice the Latest version: 0.9-update25 (June 12th 2017), I suppose MicroRendu uses this one ?

Yes, SonicOrbiter 2.5 on my microRendu is running BubbleUPnP Server 0.9 update 25.

I don't think it's network related because my microRendu is not dropping off the network, I can play music to it from an Android control point.  It seems more like a BubbleUPnP Server dependency is repeatedly crashing and restarting.  @vortecjr is there a diagnostic log in SonicOrbiter I can provide to you for troubleshooting?

The question is why does BubbleUPnP Server work reliably on Windows 10 (or on Synology as @jaaptina reports) but not on the microRendu?

Way back, the BubbleUPnP Server developer mentioned something about problems in this area with use of OpenJDK/JRE vs the Oracle code.  I can't recall which one he recommended and I don't know which one is in SonicOrbiter 2.5.

37 minutes ago, d_elm said:

Seems to me running Bubble server on a renderer somewhat defeats the idea of having a lowest possible noise generator providing the USB signal. The more work the renderer processor has to do the more noise it will generate.    Is this being done simply because it can be done ?

I understand your point, but the only thing BubbleUPnP Server is doing is making a OpenHome proxy.  I'm not using it for any of the zillion other things it can do, so it's contributing very little to the processing load.

On 8/21/2017 at 8:49 PM, rickca said:

The OpenHome instance just comes and goes unpredictably.

@vortecjr have you made any progress with this?  Are there any other CA members using an IOS control point like Lumin and running BubbleUPnP Server on the microRendu who find it works reliably?

18 minutes ago, d_elm said:

I can use Lumin, not my usual control app, to control MPD on the microRendu without BubbleUPnP Server running anywhere.  Does this mean MPD is supporting OpenHome protocol or am I missing something ?

Are you playing your own rips, or streaming TIDAL/Qobuz?

8 minutes ago, d_elm said:

Network storage, no streaming.

Right.  The whole OpenHome problem with BubbleUPnP Server on the microRendu is limited to streaming TIDAL or Qobuz.

50 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Do you have auto update enabled in BubbleUPnP Server?

Yes, I do have auto update enabled and I am running BubbleUPnP Server Version 0.9 Update 25 as previously reported.

19 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

i think this is the best way to do it, too (assuming you have a nas).

@rickca -- where is your music library stored?

I don't have a NAS.  My music library is on my Windows 10 machine.

11 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I'm afraid that there is not much more that we can do.

Why?  Are you saying that nobody else has experienced this issue, and that you can't reproduce it?  Or are you saying that BubbleUPnP isn't your code, so you don't support it?

SonicOrbiter is designed to be really simple to use, but it gives me no troubleshooting tools so I need to rely on you for support.  There must be something repeatedly crashing and restarting, but I have no access to any diagnostic logs to figure things out.

21 minutes ago, d_elm said:

Rickca,  you will not like this but life would be simpler and better if you had a NAS for your music and music servers running on it.

I don't have a big music library.  I rely a lot on Qobuz.  I really have no need for a NAS.  What music servers are you talking about ... you mean things like MinimServer?  It works fine on Windows 10.

A NAS means one more computer and one more operating system that I have to maintain, along with a whole bunch of networking considerations.  It's unnecessary complexity.