IGNORED

Oppo Sonica DAC coming Fall 2016

Oppo Sonica DAC (an affordable ES9038PRO Sabre DAC) - Page 9

The Sonica is virtually totally controlled via APP. I suppose there are functions you can use/setup at the the unit but I doubt anyone does that.

I miss the 105D remote ease and the HDMI out to a monitor.

I am also hoping for ROON and Pandora to be added via FW update to the Sonica DAC. The 105D has Pandora but the Sonica DAC only offers Spotify & TIDAL. I do have a subscription to TIDAL (love it!) but not Spotify. I have a Pandora One subscription - we use it during beach parties as a jukebox. Soon, Pandora One will be offering High-Rez.

I wrote OPPO asking for the 2 updates. Apparently there have been many such requests.

• 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

The failure of that article is no mention that the Sonica isn't Roon Ready and from the email response from Oppo I got there is no plan for it.  

I know, I got the same answer from them, but we can use Roon in our Windows PC with Asio driver!

They also didn't test the SDAC-3 with DSD512 upsampling, the best option for use this very inexpensive DAC...

3 hours ago, Indydan said:

From that review of this 799$ DAC:

"Five years ago, this level of performance would have set you back $5,000"

I find that very hard to believe...

I own a dCS Elgar $18,000 in the past, that doesn't sounds so good as my Oppo HA-1 when upsampling to DSD256!

By the press, DSD512 up is a big step forward, so I will try this option asap...

5 hours ago, Papidon said:

Hi MemoryPlayer !

I am new here and very interrested by your comparative listening with dCS Elgar.

I live permanently in far countryside of northern Thailand with a Verdi Encore transport + DCS Elgar (last software version) .Impossible here to compare anything properly at home before buying it in Bangkok. 

I was ready to buy the new dCS network Bridge . It is expensive but this device adds USB/internet/ wifi interface giving a second life to Elgar DAC and stays safely 100% dCS compatible with clocking and I suppose a top notch electrical immunity.  

But at around 4000 euros in UE it seems not to be a good plan at all  if any recent DSD 256/512 capable DAC in the 800 - 4000 $ range bury the Elgar.

Please could you share your thoughts and experience. I am a french retired guy... so you understrand that I cannot make any mistake with this kind of money.      

I have a very good resolving hifi system  and it appears today the weakest link in it is the DAC. I did not expect that because when I compared the playbacks  my Oppo 95 was not at all in the same league ...

Thanks in advance  for your help!

With Elgar you will get only DSD64 and DAC chips are changing always!

I was using a firewire Weiss INT202 for convert from my Mac to PCM to the Elgar.

dCS for 192kHz needs double digital RCA or XLR cables.

4XDSD sounds much better than 2XDSD, so 8XDSD is another animal and when dCS will have DSD512?

With $4,000 for an interface, you can try T+A 8 DAC that plays DSD512 and sounds better than Oppo Sonica.

I am listening more with headphones, so a simpler and cheap option sounds as smarter!

Sell your dCS stuff while you can, I'm trying here in Brasil  and is hard...

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-5-28 at 2:35 AM, rayfar said:

... Before it seemed the sound was almost too bright and somehow harsh, but now much cleaner and balanced. 44.1KHz music seem to be slightly cleaner, but I don't hear much difference. I use Audirvana Plus 3.x and I had played with the iZotope converter to get better sound with previous firmware...

Audirvana with iZotope has harsh and too bright sound!

I can't listen Audirvana with iZotope for more than 15 minutes..., fadigue comes very soon!

Try Apple Audio Core that for me sounds much more smooth.

1 minute ago, sdolezalek said:

It all depends on what your iZotope settings are, settings that are fine for one DAC will sound too bright, or too mellow on another.  It may take a while to find the right settings for the new ES9038PRO chip.  I have found that the ESS chips often sound terrific when you upsample and convert everything to DSD256 or DSD512, but even then the right filter settings matter. 

I'm trying find an iZotope setting that doesn't sound bright and harsh e never found...

I declined and I'm using sometimes A+ with Apple Core.

But newest Amarra 4 with no upsample sounds much better than A+.