IGNORED

Oppo Sonica DAC coming Fall 2016

The Sonica sounded much better after 24 hours of power on. I'm going to let it go for at least 100 before I do any more critical listening.

The Sonica DAC arrived yesterday morning and right out the box it bested the *PS Audio DirectStream ($5999.00) by a wide margin. The APP took me some time to learn and one or two features remain to familiarize myself with.

What I would like: 1) Pandora be added to the streaming choices (my 105D has Pandora) and 2) ROON ready. From what I see on the net is that these features will be available in future FW updates. OK, HDMI out to monitor would have been cool but that circuitry may degrade the magnificent SQ.

Happy that TIDAL is already installed.

*Look for the PS Audio DirectStream on Augiogon & US Audio Mart by this weekend.

Beach Life

The PS Audio DS: Strongest capability is PCM files - excellent

OPPO Sonica: Strength is DSD files - tightly controlled bass + transcending highs.

All this is partially dependent on speakers. I use latest run Martin Logan Summit X's.

We are Auralic Dealers and the OPPO Sonica DAC clearly out performs the much more expensive Vega/Aries combination. [Cape Fear Cable Company]

I suck at describing sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Beach Life

Sounds as you will have remote volume control only with your smart phone iOs or Android!

The Sonica is virtually totally controlled via APP. I suppose there are functions you can use/setup at the the unit but I doubt anyone does that.

I miss the 105D remote ease and the HDMI out to a monitor.

I am also hoping for ROON and Pandora to be added via FW update to the Sonica DAC. The 105D has Pandora but the Sonica DAC only offers Spotify & TIDAL. I do have a subscription to TIDAL (love it!) but not Spotify. I have a Pandora One subscription - we use it during beach parties as a jukebox. Soon, Pandora One will be offering High-Rez.

I wrote OPPO asking for the 2 updates. Apparently there have been many such requests.

Beach Life

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OPP0 UDP-205

[I own and have posted here regarding the Sonica DAC]

Is there a thread for the OPPO UPD-205? I received an email a couple of weeks ago that I could per-order from OPPO.

Does anybody know:

1) Is the 205 only available in Black (105/105D was available Black & Silver) ?

2) Are there no embedded APPs (as is the case with the 105)?

3) Is it TIDAL or/or Pandora ready?

If I posted this in the wrong place send me to the proper thread.

Beach Life

17 hours ago, Hikmer said:

Reading the comments on this thread suggest Roon Ready may be in the works soon.

Also Please post your subjective and objective findings with the new firmware....really want to know what people think.

I have no opinion as to the advantage(s) of the Beta Firmware. I have not installed it and probably will not get around to it. It's just fun to know it's out there.

Beach Life