IGNORED

Help with a strange problem

brickhughes

Hi, so I recently built myself a PC and decided I'd get some decent(by my standards) quality speakers. Micca MB42x's with an SMSL SA-50 to be precise. Now I am having this weird problem where every once in a while I get some distortion at pretty average volume, but the weird thing is it will go away for a while if I unplug the aux jack and then plug it back in. Any ideas what could be causing this?

I should maybe also mention I'm using equalizerAPO with the configuration I found from noaudiophile.com and realtek HD audio.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks

Hard to give any specific advice. Firstly you need to determine if it is from speakers or amp. Sounds like an amp problem just guessing. Do you have a different amp of some sort to try for awhile?

Also try bypassing the EQAPO to see if it goes away. You may have some of the EQ set so it strains the amp, and it gets overheated or causes it to have other problems. Any EQ, especially in the lower 500 hz that boosts a range by much could cause this. Especially if the boost is below 100 hz. If you have any boosted regions set them to flat and see if the problem goes away.

Better yet take a screenshot of your EQ settings and post.

PS_looks like your first post. So welcome to CA.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Thanks! Unfortunately I don't have a different amp but I will look into finding an alternative to test that.

Here's my EQ settings:

Preamp: -5.0 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 50 Hz Gain 4.2 dB Q 1.7

Filter 2: ON PK Fc 72 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 2.0

Filter 3: ON PK Fc 95 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 2.0

Filter 4: ON PK Fc 135 Hz Gain -1.2 dB Q 1.5

Filter 5: ON PK Fc 205 Hz Gain 0.3 dB Q 1.0

Filter 6: ON PK Fc 462 Hz Gain 0.5 dB Q 1.0

Filter 7: ON PK Fc 1100 Hz Gain -4.1 dB Q 1.0

Filter 8: ON PK Fc 1692 Hz Gain -4.2 dB Q 1.0

Filter 9: ON PK Fc 2200 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 2.0

Filter 10: ON PK Fc 3200 Hz Gain -4.5 dB Q 3.0

Filter 11: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -1.8 dB Q 4.0

Filter 12: ON PK Fc 7000 Hz Gain -2.5 dB Q 2.0

Filter 13: ON PK Fc 14300 Hz Gain -2.8 dB Q 1.0

Thanks! Unfortunately I don't have a different amp but I will look into finding an alternative to test that.

Here's my EQ settings:

Preamp: -5.0 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 50 Hz Gain 4.2 dB Q 1.7

Filter 2: ON PK Fc 72 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 2.0

Filter 3: ON PK Fc 95 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 2.0

Filter 4: ON PK Fc 135 Hz Gain -1.2 dB Q 1.5

Filter 5: ON PK Fc 205 Hz Gain 0.3 dB Q 1.0

Filter 6: ON PK Fc 462 Hz Gain 0.5 dB Q 1.0

Filter 7: ON PK Fc 1100 Hz Gain -4.1 dB Q 1.0

Filter 8: ON PK Fc 1692 Hz Gain -4.2 dB Q 1.0

Filter 9: ON PK Fc 2200 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 2.0

Filter 10: ON PK Fc 3200 Hz Gain -4.5 dB Q 3.0

Filter 11: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -1.8 dB Q 4.0

Filter 12: ON PK Fc 7000 Hz Gain -2.5 dB Q 2.0

Filter 13: ON PK Fc 14300 Hz Gain -2.8 dB Q 1.0

Does not look like enough to be a problem. Just to see however I would turn off filter 1 and filter 2.

If that doesn't help I would try turning off the EQ software altogether.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Does not look like enough to be a problem. Just to see however I would turn off filter 1 and filter 2.

If that doesn't help I would try turning off the EQ software altogether.

Well I contacted the seller about the issue and they seemed to know immediately that it was the potentiometer, whatever that is, and are giving me a full refund. Now I'm a little scared to order the same model, any recommendations for a replacement? Thoughts on the Lepai LP-2020A? Thanks again for your help!

What type of distortion is it? The amp is straining, crunching static or something else?

If its a crunch, try fooling with the 2 knobs on the face while music is playing. If you can make it happen doing that, the issue is with the knobs. They'll need to be cleaned or replaced.

If you are using the mini headphone jack on your PC as an out to the amp, fool with that connection too. Those type of jacks are prone to static noise.

Then swap out your cables one at a time.

Then try a different source, like a CD player. Your PC can be at fault for multiple reasons. Changing the source will allow you to eliminate the entire PC. If it turns out that the problem follows the computer, then go back and spend the diag time.

One last thing to consider is that your amp may be putting itself into protection mode because you're pushing it too hard.

One last thing to consider is that your amp may be putting itself into protection mode because you're pushing it too hard.

There is only a volume knob on the face, this is the model: https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-TDA7492-Amplifier-Adapter-Golden/dp/B008GQ08KM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 .

I don't think I was pushing it that hard. I was only using it at maybe 1/4 with my computer volume at 30ish%. I intended to have my computer at 100 but then if I put the SA-50 volume below a certain point it would stop playing out of the right speaker. As I would turn up the volume, by the time both speakers were at equal volume, it would be louder than I wanted to listen.

What would be the fix if the static was coming from the jack on the motherboard? That seems like a logical source to the problem

"Well I contacted the seller about the issue and they seemed to know immediately that it was the potentiometer, whatever that is, and are giving me a full refund."

That's the volume knob. How did they go from the pot to a refund? Normally, it would be cleaned or replaced. Did they suggest a fix like that, or did they go for an immediate refund?

"Now I'm a little scared to order the same model, any recommendations for a replacement?"

I can't say until you go through the trouble shooting steps I gave in my first post. Doing that should reveal the type of problem you're having. Once we know that, then make a replacement decision.

What type of distortion is it? The amp is straining, crunching static or something else?

Forgot to respond to that. Not really sure what type... It's only when the bass hits hard, it's most noticeable during this song (

) at about 1:31, there's distortion only when the bass hits. But then I unplug the aux cord from my computer and plug it back in it goes back to sounding great.

Forgot to respond to that. Not really sure what type... It's only when the bass hits hard, it's most noticeable during this song (
) at about 1:31, there's distortion only when the bass hits. But then I unplug the aux cord from my computer and plug it back in it goes back to sounding great.

With that illustration I would say you are likely over-driving your amp. Stopping to unplug the aux cord probably has nothing to do with it other than giving it a few seconds to recover. Try adding to your filters. Put a high pass filter at 200 hz. See if it doesn't go thru without distortion once you have done that.

Fixes are to get a bigger amp, turn it down, get more efficient speakers, or get a powered sub, so the sub takes the load off your main speakers and amp.