IGNORED

A/D converter

ronfint

"I´m also thinking about a resolution to get the RIAA done by the software (recording without a phono pre-amp)."

See also: http://www.channld.com/pure-vinyl.html

I hear good things about Pure vinyl, but I've not yet attempted to record vinyl.

The Metric Halo DACs come with very high quality (80-bit paths) DAW software called MIO, which has RIAA EQ, for those interested in the software approach. They also have 'ultra low noise' (thus the ULN moniker) preamps. This would seem to be a great combo, although I have not tried it myself.

clay

PS, you could also use the Pure Vinyl software WITH the Metric Halo gear, the latter providing the preamps, ADCs and eventually DACs.

Again, one may wish to compare analogue eq.vs. digital eq. before embarking on the path. This said, the sonic eq. is actually quite good. At the surface, one can implement an eq. and a second eq. that is the reverse. The result will be at the surface, bit-transparent. I mention "at the surface" as monitoring the HDCD flag at the 16th and 24th bit may be regarded only as a strong indicator bits are well.

However, there's no free lunch with eq. Unless you know individuals that have compared analogue eq. vs. digital eq. I wouldn't necessarily "jump" into the digital camp archiving a collection of albums.

As for sample rate decisions, perhaps Jazz and Classical may be more conducive material for 4x sample rates.

Regards,

Tim Marutani

Earlier on the Benchmark ADC1 was commented on and the question was asked about "limitations" when connecting via USB ... well I think the USB link is limited to 24/96k where the device has 24/192k support. But fear not, you already have a device to connect AES (at upto 24/192) to your Mac - the Weiss DAC1.

This should work transparently and easily and just requires AES from ADC1 (or another device) into the DAC1. Select the correct device in Core Audio (or your DAW) and Bob's your Uncle.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks -- I obviously hadn't thought of that. Also thanks for an expression that helped me begin my day with a smile: "Bob's your Uncle". Back in the days I was into record collecting, I spent a lot of time in the UK, but I never heard that. What a great phrase!

Ron