IGNORED

Will you buy a new iPhone despite no headphone socket?

Will you buy a new iPhone despite no headphone socket?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Interesting article on Apples wireless earbuds. It also appears that their Beats wireless headphones will have this capability.

https://pooraudiophile.com/2016/09/apple-iphone7-wages-war-bluetooth.html

Since they own Beats, I'm not at all surprised. OTOH, I've yet to hear a pair of "Beats" headphones that I thought were audiophile quality. HiFiMan's HE-400s, now they're a different story. My iPad really sits up and does tricks playing through those!

George

I use my iphone with cck connected to a dragon fly black driving Earsonics Sm-64 IEMs and let me tell is legit HIfi. Also i own a HIFi skyn case that drive my Audeze headphones and it rivals any top end DAPs. Lastly the cypher cable from Audeze sines is also really good. So if you are an iphone user you can still get amazing sound.

They don't have to pay, it comes free with the phone.

And $9/£9 if you need a second/replacement...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I ordered an iPhone 7 in matte black with 256K of memory.

I'll probably keep the free dongle in my car for listening to podcasts and use a DragonFly for listening to music.

i ordered the 7+ in the same configuration. For the first time in years I didn't stay up til sales opened tho.

I ordered an iPhone 7 in matte black with 256K*M* of memory.

Wrong century, so FIFY. Sorry, I do the same thing all the time. It just looks funny these days.

Jimmy Iovine...I wish that guy had ears. Born to Run was a terrible recording job...okay very good in some respects, but it tore my ears off. Then came Beats.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

The answer is a simple "no".

I have the iPhone 6. I still like the iPhone 3's size and feel, but alas it finally died. Thus the 6. This will do until it dies.

I use Bluetooth to send to a portable speaker for the news and podcasts while working on projects in the shop. Does fine for that sort of thing. My music listening is not through the phone.

JJinPDX

Have moved on from using iPhones for music listening for some time.

iPs can play music …and, that is about it. Optimising one for fun listening is way too much trouble. In the form of dongles, portable DACs, battery packs, straps, etc, to carry around and charge. Moreover, the price for sufficient in-phone storage is exorbitant. And, iTunes/Apple Music is not one’s cup of tea.

Found that a decent DAP does much better, in a more elegant manner.

Have an iP6. Nifty, dependable. Do not use it much for listening to music. As and when, via Onkyo HD Player + BT connection.

As such, not much affected by Apple’s forceful omission of the 3.5mm socket… just to push proprietary BT HPs. Simply not smart nor customer-friendly.

May still buy the iP7… for reasons other than audio. Definitely not buying (into) air-pods… so much hassle, so little return.

Shouldn’t the iP7 be a pocketable, all-in-one convenient lifestyle product that makes life easier and more fun?

Like the MacBook, it is beginning to sound like a device that forces people to ‘adjust’ …unnecessarily. With proprietary tech which one does not necessarily need nor appreciate, it also veers towards the Watch’s weakness = over-pricing.

Bluetooth Capable Headphone Sales Surpass Non-Bluetooth Sales

Can't understand why those pretentious assholes at Apple would get rid of the headphone jack. ;)

Also, for the folks who don't like the form factor of the iPhone 6's and 7's (and I'm not that fond of it, even though I like my 6s otherwise), don't forget about the iPhone SE. If they update that phone around a year from now, I'll definitely give it some serious consideration. It'll mostly depend on how the camera in the SE successor compares to the ones in the big phones.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

One thing I hadn't thought through: if you go bluetooth, on top of the non-lossless protocol losses, you also have yet another piece with a probably miserable battery life that needs constantly charging. Does anybody know how long bluetooth headsets typically last? I just read the new Airpods will have an autonomy of 5h, that's not even your typical long distance flight.

I'm not sure Apple hasn't shot themselves in the foot here.

One thing I hadn't thought through: if you go bluetooth, on top of the non-lossless protocol losses, you also have yet another piece with a probably miserable battery life that needs constantly charging. Does anybody know how long bluetooth headsets typically last? I just read the new Airpods will have an autonomy of 5h, that's not even your typical long distance flight.

This is certainly an issue. Personally, on a long flight I'd go with non-Bluetooth headphones — I can't believe the Lightning-to-headphone adapter draws much power at all.

(On long flights, keeping the iDevices themselves charged is an issue, if there's no power outlet at the seat. In this situation I listen to music on my trusty old iPod Classic, thereby preserving the charge on my iPhone for when I get off the plane.)

All that said, I'm still pretty sure that cordless headphones are the future, whether audiophiles take to them or not.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Are you even able to use Bluetooth on a plane? Airplane mode turns Bluetooth off.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Especially if the new Bluetooth protocol will make pairing automatic and not such a step by step process. Just seeing how simply the new AirPods pair with a phone as you open the case makes me think it's going to become a WHOLE lot easier to use Bluetooth devices.

It is already so.

Have 3 BT devices paired with an iP6. Each one required only one pairing process. Then, all you have to do is to switch on the BT device and it will auto-connect.

Some BT device makers have placed apps in the App Store/Google Play for DL-ing to ensure initial pairing happens in a hassle-free minute or 2.

Perhaps, the Air Pods will also require some form of "user intervention" to initiate pairing with individual iPs and Macs? Otherwise, wouldn't all Air Pods auto-connect to all i-Stuff?