IGNORED

Will you buy a new iPhone despite no headphone socket?

Will you buy a new iPhone despite no headphone socket?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Personally, I think Apple is following the model of the ultra high end audio manufacturers and churning their customer base. True, no one is forced to buy anything, BUT, if you have bought into and are part of the Apple ecosystem especially after it being imbedded in most our lives over the past 9 years, it provides a barrier to change.

My iPhone 6 Plus is now 2 years old and I see the competition releasing really nice screens, etc while Apple provides some minuscule update to a phone now 2 years old. Why because they can and they can churn their customer base. Kind of reminds me of Magico releasing updates to their updates to their updates just to mention one audiophile company that knows how to churn its customer base.

I'm going to upgrade to the 7 because the battery on my 5S has become unreliable. I've already purchased a DragonFly Red that I plan to use with the new phone.

Digital output, with Lightning-USB converter.

DragonFly Red.

Oppo PM-3.

I'm real happy with that combo using my iPhone 6. So it will likely be just as good with the 7 or 7s or 8...whatever I get next.

Dave, who's looking forward to 256GB for more music storage

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My answer is a simple "No". Ardent Apple fanatic, but that does not mean I have to buy the latest gadget when it comes out. I am using headphones a lot with my iPhone (Grado GR10), but I just wait and see. Dragonfly looks interesting, but a bit cumbersome to carry around at this point in time.

I guess over time a smart solution for the "non headphone jack" will come out; until then I am happy with my iPhone 6.

If you get the Dragonfly, you can get a really small extension cord and velcro the DF to the back of your phone. That's what I do with my Samsung, but it should work the same with Apple.

I'm not interested in the phone, but curious if using the dongle means you can't charge at the same time? Like if I am sitting at my desk and want to listen through headphones, would I need to run down the charge?

There is already a Lightning dock that charges the phone and has a headphone socket. Since charging requires a connection to a charger (so far no wireless charging) using a dock should be no great difference.

Greg

There is already a Lightning dock that charges the phone and has a headphone socket. Since charging requires a connection to a charger (so far no wireless charging) using a dock should be no great difference.

Greg

That will do for desktop use, at least for those who are satisfied by its headphone jack. I wonder if the DAC in the Apple Lightning dock uses linear-phase or minimum-phase filtering. It looks good too.

The dock won't be usable in the car. Those of us with USB jacks in their cars for music players don't have any problem, of course, but those relying on the aux in of their cars will be stuck with a kludgy setup for a while if they want to use their iPhone 7 as car music players. Simplest solution? Use an older device as the music player in the car.

I probably will upgrade to get an additional 128 gigs of storage. No 3.5 mm jack bothers me approximately not at all for use with IEMs; I was an early and enthusiastic adopter of the Noble BTS. Now if Apple will allow Audez'e to sell the Cipher cable as an aftermarket accessory so that I can use my Sine with the phone (I foolishly bought them without the Cipher cable), my wish-list will be complete.

FWIW, I own a LH Labs Geek Out V2+ Infinity, which I can use to get better audio in situation where it's quiet enough to matter, but it's a little cumbersome. The Dragonfly Red looks like it may be worth bringing in for a side-by-said comparison.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

I'll most likely stick to my current IPhone 6 until the battery has an autonomy of <half a day.

The simple reason is that I can't do what I'm doing right now writing this: listen to the Qobuz app to check out the latest releases I just downloaded and charge the phone at the same time.

I guess at some point some external manufacture will come up with a small portable external decent sounding lightning-DAC solution that has an integrated Y adapter for charging.

Beyond that, in any case

the the incremental value of the 7 over even the 2 year old 6 is just so minuscule that I don't see why bother in the first place (until, as said above, the battery issue forces me to).

No, not buying one this year because I buy a new iPhone every 3 years, and my 6+ is like new. So the next one will be a 7S (if the current naming scheme is kept) and in the meantime I will have an external portable DAC/headamp, so a camera connector will do the trick.

I buy iPhones because of the security of the OS and the integration of the ecosystem. If I had an Android phone I would probably not store anything personal on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Mostly a tempest in a teapot unless you run your iPhone bareback. This will be good for case makers, expect to see lots of mobile dock cases with battery, DAC and headphone jack onboard.

You mean something like ... MusicBoost

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

As the topic; specifically based on the headphone socket (or lack of).

Since Apple has it's own new wireless headphones, I expect nothing less. OTOH, I have never seen (heard?) a pair of Apple phones that I thought sounded like anything but crap. Why would these new "AirPods" be any different? Also my ears lack the fold of skin below the ear canal that ear-buds rest in, so I couldn't use them anyway because they won't stay in. That's not to say, that as usual, Apple's innovation in this field will spawn compatible, third-party phones that will meet a myriad of headphone application needs. I see, in the near future, over the ear, full size cans that are wireless, cans/in-ear monitors that are noise surpassing and wireless, and in-the-ear-canal wireless ear phones and everything in between including wireless, portable loudspeakers!

George

Interesting article on Apples wireless earbuds. It also appears that their Beats wireless headphones will have this capability.

https://pooraudiophile.com/2016/09/apple-iphone7-wages-war-bluetooth.html

The title of that linked article - Apple iPhone 7 wages war on Bluetooth: New W1 chip to define the future of wireless headphones - is slightly misleading though as the Wireless EarPods are Bluetooth, it's just the pairing that is enhanced by the W1 chip...

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I was hoping for an Apple announcement offering 24/96 streaming ! I really believe at this point that all the rumors back in December were nonsense .

They were nonsense!

Eloise

---