IGNORED

Will you buy a new iPhone despite no headphone socket?

Will you buy a new iPhone despite no headphone socket?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As the topic; specifically based on the headphone socket (or lack of).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I find the exclusion of the analog headphone jack annoying, but iPhone and iTunes lost me long ago when it comes to serious music listening. I can imagine using crappy Bluetooth headphones for when I'm on the go and the dongle for when I'm flying. I use the PONO in the car anyway. I'm curious to hear other thoughts and see if I'm not thinking of certain use cases.

Speaking of a negative use case, I just saw this:

It's exactly those wireless ear buds, however, that Jobs might have taken issue with. "Steve Jobs once argued with me about doing wireless earbuds," The Verge's Walt Mossberg recalled. "'You want yet another thing to charge?' he said."

Mossberg added that Apple's new wireless headphones, or "AirPods," which run $159, will indeed be annoying to charge. "Five hours of battery life between charges on the new AirPods won't likely get you through a cross country flight ..."

Not really an Android 'fan' either (as a reluctant nanny device user - warranty running out in order to root it can never come too soon), but gets my vote as the most appropriate choice.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Mossberg added that Apple's new wireless headphones, or "AirPods," which run $159, will indeed be annoying to charge. "Five hours of battery life between charges on the new AirPods won't likely get you through a cross country flight ..."

You definitely don't want to use those on a cross country flight. Noise canceling, or at least closed over the ear headphones, are called for.

The cords are really one of the most annoying things about the ear buds - they tangle so easily. For a lot of use cases the wireless version will just be more practical.

I don't see the loss of the jack as a big deal. Keep the dongle attached to your favorite wired earphones, and the lightning will be easier to attach and detach than the headphone jack ever was. Or keep your favorite USB DAC/headphones connected to the camera connector 3, and you can charge the phone while listening whenever convenient.

That said, I don't want another phone with this large thin form factor and rounded edges. After a year with my iPhone 6, I am still constantly dropping it, and I accidentally turn off the screen when I try to adjust volume since the button has been moved to the side. Most annoying iOS device I've ever used.

I bought an iPhone 6S before the rumored iPhone 7 came out to keep the headphone jack. Not ready to start dealing with new purchases in order to access the new technologies, I'll take a wait and see position for now. I still don't see the point to dropping the headphone jack. A lot of this seems like change for the sake of change, something to grab the headlines. But that's just me...

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

My answer is a simple "No". Ardent Apple fanatic, but that does not mean I have to buy the latest gadget when it comes out. I am using headphones a lot with my iPhone (Grado GR10), but I just wait and see. Dragonfly looks interesting, but a bit cumbersome to carry around at this point in time.

I guess over time a smart solution for the "non headphone jack" will come out; until then I am happy with my iPhone 6.

It's not a deal breaker for me even though I am not looking to upgrade from the 6S I am using now. When at gym or exercising (running, walking) I would love to get rid of the stupid wire that connects my phone to my earbuds so I'll just get some wireless when it's time for me to upgrade my phone. With Bluetooth 5 coming we'll see a much better experience utilizing wireless headphones anyway. Apple is just looking ahead.

David

Tough call, I've been through every iteration of the iPhone, but my issue is...when driving I use the headphone jack to Aux port for music and the Lightning port for charging at the same time, so at this point not sure how to deal with this. Also when flying abroad on long flights I might use headphones while also using a battery charger at the same time.

I believe this is not only change for sake of change because Apple has proven they 'can' do it, but also gets people to buy more accessories like the Airbuds, and then different charging options etc etc...I can't tell you how many lightning cables I've gone through because they either just stop working or fray at the ends. Can't say I've ever had a mini USB cable stop working on other devices though.

The jack is not a gamechanger for me because I use a dragonfly anyhow. With that said, no I will not buy the 7 simply because the announced changes offer zero value to me. If it was offered in a larger screen with a mini pencil, I'd be standing in line. Yes I have a 6S+ and I still think the screen is too small. It's really more of the aspect ratio than physical size, what I mean by that is that I have to use it turned sideways for most of my tasks.

I used to buy every new iPhone that came out but now there are no carrier price subsidies and the phone price has gotten much higher .

I will wait for the next product cycle or the one after that . Just too expensive for a smartphone .

My attitude is precisely why Apple sales have been weakening .

My choice isn't available, but it would be: "I use an external DAC, but I'm not on this upgrade cycle. I'll most likely buy another iPhone when the 7s is released a year or so from now."

I'm really happy with my current setup. The DragonFly Black makes more of a difference in SQ than I'd imagined when I purchased it based on Chris's review.

I don't expect much audio improvement (via headphones) from the 6s to the 7, so my main expectation for the future is that the quality of the camera will continue to improve. I think the quality of the photos I take with the iPhone 6 is already quite good, and I'm hopeful that my the time the 7s rolls around, the dual-camera system used in the 7 Plus will be included in the "small" 7s.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I guess I should have prefixed the poll with "If you were in the market for a new phone..."

I'm unlikely to buy one either ... but I think for my needs the dongle would be sufficient.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Curious -- is the sound quality of wireless headphones supposed to be the same as wired? Assuming the connection is working fine?

(And as to the poll -- I note that Apple is selling $9 adapters to plug old headphone jacks into the lightening port of the iPhone 7. Assuming the adapter works, it's a pretty small price relative to the phone.)

I'm not interested in the phone, but curious if using the dongle means you can't charge at the same time? Like if I am sitting at my desk and want to listen through headphones, would I need to run down the charge?

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

Tough call, I've been through every iteration of the iPhone, but my issue is...when driving I use the headphone jack to Aux port for music and the Lightning port for charging at the same time, so at this point not sure how to deal with this. Also when flying abroad on long flights I might use headphones while also using a battery charger at the same time.

You get one of the new camera adapters that has a Lightning plug on one side and a USB jack and Lightning jack on the other side. The USB goes to a portable DAC such as the Dragonfly and thence to the aux port, and the Lightning to your power supply (cigarette lighter USB adapter or whatever). I'd be surprised if some other solutions don't also come on the market soon, such as a dongle with a headphone jack and a Lightning jack, or a headphone jack and a USB plug.

I already use the lightening receptacle on my iPhone 5 to listen to music in my car. With the exception of a brief comparative exercise with a Pono, I've never used my iPhone with headphones.

Music Server(s): Aurender N100H, Digital to Analog Converter(s): Audio Research DAC 8, Digital to Digital Converter: Bryston BUC-1, Preamplifier: Ayre K-5xeMP, Amplifier(s): Ayre V-5xe, Loudspeakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Interconnects: Kimber PBJ, Cardas Clear, Bryston AES/EBU, Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber PR8, Miscellaneous: Oppo BDP 95 disk player, CJ Walker turntable Jelco SA-750D tone arm, Ortofon 2M black cartridge, Magnum Dynalab tuner, Dream System: I've got it!, Headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Grado PS500e, Headphone Amplifier(s):Graham Slee Novo