IGNORED

Apple W1 Chip

Airplay works over wifi, so not likely (not energy efficient enough)

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

According to a press release: "For iOS10 users, the Apple W1 chip provides an easy one-step Bluetooth connection and the added ability to toggle seamlessly between iCloud-registered devices."

IntroducingÂ*BeatsX: New Premium Wireless,Â*BluetoothÂ*EarphonesÂ*fromÂ*Beats by Dr. Dre | Business Wire

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I find it interesting that Apple launched ALAC more than 12 years ago and has done absolutely nothing with it once it was added as an option in iTunes for ripping CDs.

I think ALAC is used for Airplay streaming. I do wish there was a lossless option for a wireless headphone connection.

My guess is it's still lossy because Apple says, "AirPods provide rich, high-quality AAC audio." It would be strange to have a lossless chip but only lossy headphones.

While the earphones (AirPods) are perhaps lossy, their more expensive headphones probably won't be. Schiller did say Beats will release a new line of wireless headphones shortly.

I couldn't care less about Beats though, but I am still waiting for their lossless music streaming to kick off (one day) :-( lol

While the earphones (AirPods) are perhaps lossy, their more expensive headphones probably won't be. Schiller did say Beats will release a new line of wireless headphones shortly.

I couldn't care less about Beats though, but I am still waiting for their lossless music streaming to kick off (one day) :-( lol

The W1 is Bluetooth, so no lossless. Although there is technically a lossless Bluetooth spec, it's never been used.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The W1 is Bluetooth, so no lossless. Although there is technically a lossless Bluetooth spec, it's never been used.

Apple Macs support Bluetooth Aptx (lossless?) don't they? I know iOS devices never have and this new W1 isn't Aptx but I wouldn't be surprised if W1 is Apple's version of lossless Bluetooth, although the AirPods might not be. Maybe the Beats?

Just guessing on my part. We'll need to wait for more info though.

Apple Macs support Bluetooth Aptx (lossless?) don't they? I know iOS devices never have and this new W1 isn't Aptx but I wouldn't be surprised if W1 is Apple's version of lossless Bluetooth, although the AirPods might not be. Maybe the Beats?

Just guessing on my part. We'll need to wait for more info though.

Macs only support aptX if you install the Bluetooth developer tools. No lossless either way.

Can't wait for real info to be released about the W1 chip.

Macs only support aptX if you install the Bluetooth developer tools. No lossless either way.

Can't wait for real info to be released about the W1 chip.

Fair point. You should have attended Chris, so you could ask the Apple Engineers these questions during the hands-on part of the event! ;-)

Hopefully one of the press in attendance is asking these kinds of questions, as well as naughty questions like 'are they interesting in lossless music streaming' lol

I looked at the new Beats Solo3 Wireless page and there is zero info there too about the frequency response/range of the headphones, to give clues about the new DAC and W1 chip.

Yes a very good opportunity. The AudioQuest DragonFly Red and Black work perfect.

Yes, but they still require use of the Lightning to USB adapter. Not a big deal, and I suppose that having a dongle-DAC with just a Lightning cable tail would narrow the target user base too much. Still, I bet we will see all manner of tiny-DAC adapters for the new phones--mostly from non-audio-focused companies.

Yes, but they still require use of the Lightning to USB adapter. Not a big deal, and I suppose that having a dongle-DAC with just a Lightning cable tail would narrow the target user base too much. Still, I bet we will see all manner of tiny-DAC adapters for the new phones--mostly from non-audio-focused companies.

What would stop Audioquest from making a Lightening Dragonfly? Maybe a Lightening Bug?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

What would stop Audioquest from making a Lightening Dragonfly? Maybe a Lightening Bug?

Of course. Probably nothing stopping them at all. Terrific (and obvious) name suggestion!

I admit that I don't know the details of the difference in interface (from a USB DAC-maker's viewpoint) between an iDevice with a Lightning>USB adapter (which then has the phone/pad become a full USB HOST) versus direct connection to the Lightning interface.

Despite just looking like cable adapters, Apple's various Lightning (and Thunderbolt) adapters have circuitry and protocols to them.

I bet you're right and we'll see many new DAC adapters. Who knows, maybe people will come to like external DACs (or even realize they exist).