IGNORED

Questions on a new old Bel Canto DAC2 ??

Elberoth, sorry to post so much, but found something interesting. I think your first answer may be right;

http://stereotimes.com/CD040907.shtml

"the DAC2 didn't seem to get along with the Lambda. Every now and then the signal light on the DAC would go from green to red, with a corresponding dead silence. During a lengthy telephonic correspondence with Bel Canto about this problem, I eventually put an oscilloscope on the S/PDIF output of the Lambda and discovered an intermittent instability in its clock, to which the receiver chip of the DAC1 had not been sensitive, but which caused the receiver chip of the DAC2 to shut down."

It's possible the same thing is happening with the CD player but on a much slighter level. Maybe it will be corrected with a different CD changer.

No, this is either on or off. What was happening, was the FIFO buffer which is the part of the ASRC design was not big enough to accomodate (big) clock variance on the Lambda transport quoted.

If you don't get dropouts then your transport is working just fine.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Crap. That would have been an easy fix. I don't know then. The cables aren't audioquest, but they're insulated and look like they wouldn't cause this. Maybe it's the speakers; 50 Hz–23 kHz (± 3 dB). I just spent a couple hours listening and I'm realizing it could be the distortion from the lower bass fuzzing up through the lower midrange. Hard to tell with different recordings. Could be partly the room too- very small with hard surfaces.

No, this is either on or off. What was happening, was the FIFO buffer which is the part of the ASRC design was not big enough to accomodate (big) clock variance on the Lambda transport quoted.

Guys, also keep in mind that the 6moons reviews may not be the most .....impartial. That's all I'm putting out there and I know I'm not the only one who says that. Some of their reviewers are awesome and some maybe not so much. Like any review, you really need to know their system and what they listen to and for in order to judge even a good starting point for things. JMHO

Just got an old Bel Canto DAC2 off Ebay and am loving it. My CDs sound like different CDs altogether. But, the mid and upper base and some of the mid tones (am I defining this right?) at times sound muffled or fuzzy. Or "off". Especially it seems when the music is complicated, layered and fast.

That's a great DAC for the $. i had one for quite a few years. I would suggest upgrading the power cord at some point. For me it made quite an improvement. I ended up with a Siltech SPX that i still have - it's plugged into my LPS for my server, and i doubt it's making 1 bit of difference. I could sell it for a decent price if your interested.

ROON Rock NUC, ALLO usb bridge, Exogal Comet, LTA MZ2, Quick Silver Mid Monos, Audio Note AN/E.

That's a great DAC for the $. i had one for quite a few years. I would suggest upgrading the power cord at some point. For me it made quite an improvement. I ended up with a Siltech SPX that i still have - it's plugged into my LPS for my server, and i doubt it's making 1 bit of difference. I could sell it for a decent price if your interested.

Thanks, I'm loving it : D

Thank you, that's very kind. But I think I'll wait, I only paid $300 for the DAC, I think that P Cord would be overkill.

BUT... Have noticed it's sounding a bit better. I think I may have gotten a 15 YO unit that was barely used! Either that or it needs another break in after 10 years or so in someone's closet. ??

Elberoth, it's starting to sound better all on it's own! Yesterday was better than several days ago and today is even better. It's had 20+ more hours in the past few days. More definition and separation in the upper base and lower midranges. I have to really listen to hear any mushiness. It looks like I got a barely used 15 YO DAC or maybe it needed to break in again after being in someone's closet for years. Nice! The only other remote possibility is dirty power, which I occasionally have in the winter (brown-outs), but I haven't seen any signs of that.

Thanks for your help in trying to figure this out : )

I think you might be surprised. Give these guys a try. Not affiliated in anyway, but I used their IC's for quite a few years. 30 day money back. I'm sure there are other sub $80 PC's that would also be an improvement.

Digital Power Cord

Guys, we all know that a good power cord will make a difference, but the OP isn't in the market for that yet. He needs to focus on what he's comfortable with and that's getting his source up and running for his DAC. Honestly, what the true return getting a power cord for an older DAC like this? At that point he probably would have been better off getting a newer DAC on the used market and going from there. He's in need of a new CD drive to run through his DAC. Putting that extra 80 or whatever into the drive will probably give him better sound than modifying the older DAC, don't you think?

He's really new and learning. We also don't know how any power cord will react with his specific DAC. Digital is totally different than amps in that they may sound different with a great power cord, but it may not make a positive difference etc... I know this post will come off as negative, but that's not my intent at all. Just saying that he needs to stay within himself and grow with this. No need for him to rush anything. Component upgrades will make a larger difference most of the time. I have a very good system that I've grown over the last 40 plus years and I am just now getting into power cords and the like. Yes, I've always spent a lot on the right cables for me, but the cords haven't made nearly the difference for my system as a full component upgrade has. Also, there are some incredible new cords coming to market by a few of the manufacturers that I've auditioned in prototype state that will crush many of the most expensive ones on the market and they will be very very affordable for most. That's one reason I'm holding off for right now as there are nearly as many new advances in the power market as there are going on in digital right now. Very exciting time to be in audio. Hopefully you all take this post in the way I mean it. Don't want to offend of come off as a jerk. Just trying to respect what the OP has said in the thread. Thanks.Pete