IGNORED

My Dac is somewhat frozen !

Well let me lay this out : my Chord Mojo along with a hard drive and expensive cables were put in the freezer by my wife !

Let me explain : We were out of town and the place we stayed at had bugs . I was bit a lot and my wife feared we had bed bugs . I believe it was spiders .

She read that to get rid of bed bugs you need extreme heat or freeze them .

She told me she was putting all the clothes in the big freezer we have but she also put my backpack briefcase in there for the last 24 hours .

When I found out I panicked and took my briefcase out .

Everything was a little wet and quite cold . I'm letting things dry . My dac was in a enclosed case and still had some moisture on it .

What are my chances of this equipment surviving ?

Wow! I was beginning to think that was the best act of revenge ever!

My guess is you will be fine after a good dry out. Hopefully most of the moisture stayed on it and didn't get in.

No it really happened . She thought I took everything out of the backpack .

I don't think you will have a problem. Just in case, you could put it in a bag of dry rice. Has worked to dry out laptops and other electronics in the past. The rice absorbs moisture. So a couple days should do it.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I've heard that audio gear can sound cold and clinical after being frozen. On the other hand - if one wants fuller, warmer sound it should be placed in a microwave oven for some time before (or during..I don't remember details) listening.. lol.

Seriously, I'd have a heart attack if something like that happened to me. Give it as much time to dry out as you can. BTW what's so scary about spiders that made you freeze all your stuff.? They kill flies after all. On the fly some say ;)

I've heard that audio gear can sound cold and clinical after being frozen. On the other hand - if one wants fuller, warmer sound it should be placed in a microwave oven for some time before (or during..I don't remember details) listening.. lol.

Seriously, I'd have a heart attack if something like that happened to me. Give it as much time to dry out as you can. BTW what's so scary about spiders that made you freeze all your stuff.? They kill flies after all. On the fly some say ;)

Well we have no idea what was biting . Could be bed bugs or spiders .

We didn't want to take a chance .

You should see my bites . Just awful . 15 -20 bites

I don't think you will have a problem. Just in case, you could put it in a bag of dry rice. Has worked to dry out laptops and other electronics in the past. The rice absorbs moisture. So a couple days should do it.

+1

Very good advice. We used uncooked rice to dry out the daughter's phone after she dropped it into the toilet.

And yes, we threw out the rice afterwards. :)

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Audiophools pay good money to have gear "cryo-treated" at far lower temperatures, and apparently that does no harm. A little condensation is unlikely to cause any damage. It's not like electronic components are water soluble.

No, not water soluble ... but even a small amount of water can cause tracks to corrode on the delicate circuitry! But if properly dried I agree there should be no harm.

Cryo-Treatment is much different than a domestic freezer... like making ice cream with liquid nitrogen gives a different effect to freezing it!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

No, not water soluble ... but even a small amount of water can cause tracks to corrode on the delicate circuitry! But if properly dried I agree there should be no harm.

The moisture we're talking about here is condensation from the air, so it's rather clean water. An isolated incident will not cause any appreciable amount of corrosion.

What he should have done when he realised the DAC was frozen is seal it tightly in a plastic bag while still in the freezer, then let it warm up. That would have kept condensation to a minimum.

Cryo-Treatment is much different than a domestic freezer... like making ice cream with liquid nitrogen gives a different effect to freezing it!

The ice cream comes out differently due to the nitrogen bubbles, not because it's a different kind of cold.

Sorry but the point was that water and electronics have a reason they don't mix rather than "because components aren't water soluble.

The ice cream comes out differently due to the nitrogen bubbles, not because it's a different kind of cold.

Nitrogen bubbles? Are you thinking of the bends?

Anyway you're wrong... the ice cream is different because the freezing is done much quicker so large ice crystals don't form. It's not a "different kind" of cold, but it is reducing the temperature much quicker. Same as the difference between putting a flower in liquid nitrogen and putting it in a domestic freezer.

PS. I'm not arguing over if cryogenic treatment for electronic components makes any (audible) difference...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.