IGNORED

My Audiophile Friends Think I am Crazy because...

Paul R

My Audiophile Friends Think I am Crazy Because...  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gentlemen and Ladies - the answer to your problems is to buy a good old Jeep. You will find you make friends *everywhere* with the Jeep.

Everywhere except Solihull perhaps...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I believe both of these are well established facts:

• I think MultiChannel sound and Video is where the future lies
  • Boutique audiophile makers are not reliable

I would question the judgement of anyone who didn't believe these facts.

I would question the judgement of anyone who believed these facts!

• Integrating video with audio systems is where the future lies; but many people are better served with a good 2 channel AV system than trying to fit multi-channel into their room. Companies such as NAD and Bryston (by adding HDMI inputs / outputs to their digital products) and Arcam (by creating a 2 channel version of their AV amps) realise this.
  • If you choose the right audiophile maker then they are very reliable. Many have been around for decades and companies such as Bryston who offer 20 year warranty and Naim who will service products from their very beginning offer consistency and long term support.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Tehee, well, you need all of those friends to roll you back over! :) It's a jeep thing, (they) wouldn't understand...

Gentlemen and Ladies - the answer to your problems is to buy a good old Jeep. You will find you make friends *everywhere* with the Jeep.

Best of all, no Bose!

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

• If you choose the right audiophile maker then they are very reliable. Many have been around for decades and companies such as Bryston who offer 20 year warranty and Naim who will service products from their very beginning offer consistency and long term support.

I guess he was thinking more of companies like Synergistic Research.

Tehee, well, you need all of those friends to roll you back over! :) It's a jeep thing, (they) wouldn't understand...

LOL! Ain't it the truth? I was going to pick up a lovely, loaded 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, but found out we fit better in a Grand Cherokee. (grin) Also discovered I am a little bit cheap, instead of the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk I had my eye on, I picked up a Laredo E 4x4 fairly nicely loaded to replace the sorely missed 2012 Liberty. (And kept about $20K in my pocket.)

That Liberty was nearly a perfect fit for us. Meghan has too much trouble getting in a Wrangler. (*sigh*)

Don't you wish Audiophile gear let you pick and choose what is really important, like Jeeps? And came with lifetime warranties too...

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

None of mine are in the list but here's a few. My audiophile friends think I'm nuts because...

1) I sometimes prefer headphones to speakers

2) I prefer solid state

3) I don't need a baffle step correction circuit to enjoy a good single driver

4) I believe the DAC is the most important component in a digital system

5) I run subwoofers in a 2 channel system

6) I don't care for "British" speakers

7) I would choose Fostex DIY anyday over KEF

8) I think a good Class D amp can and sometimes does sound preferable to Class AB

9) I prefer a ethernet cable to wifi

10) I just don't get the appeal of FM Radio

Oh and my winter toy is a Jeep Liberty btw

None of mine are in the list but here's a few. My audiophile friends think I'm nuts because...

2) I prefer solid state

3) I don't need a baffle step correction circuit to enjoy a good single driver

8) I think a good Class D amp can and sometimes does sound preferable to Class AB

I do like British Speakers, well - for the most part. The Liberty was darn near a perfect little Jeep I thought. The Cherokee replacement is just too much like a car to be the perfect replacement. Refined enough to drive up to the symphony in too. :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Yes nuts...

2) I prefer solid state

Not nuts...

It depends what you mean ... Not nuts if you mean the DAC (as a component) is the most important part before the analogue output. However within the component, the DAC chip is least important ... more important than choice of DAC chip is the power supply and analogue components. You're nuts however if you think the DAC (as a component) is the most important part of the who reproduction chain, the speakers and amplifier are equally important (speakers perhaps more so).

It depends on the speakers...

You're nuts! Though I don't care for "American" speakers either so perhaps I'm nuts!

Reasonable. I don't think we should ever dismiss a component due to either technology or something within that component. Judge it as a whole as often things are more than a sum of their parts.

Depends on your reasoning...

As opposed to...?

Yes nuts ... cars are tools not toys!

Eloise

---

DAC: I am strictly talking about the digital front end. I mean the whole DAC component and not the chip. Regardless of the transport (CD, Mac, PC, Streamer device, etc) the DAC has the largest impact on the sound. Some of my friends believe that within reason a DAC is a DAC. With that said, I also believe the DAC (component) influences the output more than a preamp does. I would equate the DAC to a phono cartridge.

FM radio: I don't get the appeal of FM as a source. I would prefer vinyl, CD or Tidal. I see no reason to spend good money on a better tuner when I'm still stuck listening to commercials and horrible song selections. This is probably influenced by the fact that I grew up in the middle of nowhere in the 1980s so I missed the whole FM rock movement.

Ethernet: In numerous instances I hear the ethernet cable as smoother sounding than wifi. While many folks claim wifi is better because of isolation and yet others claim that there is no difference because it's all 1s & 0s. I've tried several different routers in several homes and every time I prefer the cable run over wifi when streaming from NAS to CAPS.

"cars are tools not toys!" - I think we just have different definitions. Anything unnecessary is a toy to me. I have a daily driver that could get through snow just fine but instead I chose to buy an older Jeep just for fun. My entire audio system is a toy to me as well. I can certainly hear music on many other devices in our home.

No one I know in "real life" is an audiophile.

I don't tell my friends how much my audiophile stuff costs because they'd start to doubt my sanity-or worse.

You have a pair of Devore G9's. If your friends don't have something similar after hearing your system, who's really the crazy one?

DAC: I am strictly talking about the digital front end. I mean the whole DAC component and not the chip. Regardless of the transport (CD, Mac, PC, Streamer device, etc) the DAC has the largest impact on the sound. Some of my friends believe that within reason a DAC is a DAC. With that said, I also believe the DAC (component) influences the output more than a preamp does. I would equate the DAC to a phono cartridge.

Then I agree... you're not mad.

FM radio: I don't get the appeal of FM as a source. I would prefer vinyl, CD or Tidal. I see no reason to spend good money on a better tuner when I'm still stuck listening to commercials and horrible song selections. This is probably influenced by the fact that I grew up in the middle of nowhere in the 1980s so I missed the whole FM rock movement.

Commercials drive me up the wall ... fortunately we have the BBC which brings such joys as the Proms season each year (60-odd concerts mostly classical but some crossover; over 2 months all broadcast live) and 6Music at the more aventgard end of the musical spectrum. (Though these days I tend to listen via Internet)

Eloise

Eloise

---