IGNORED

JRiver 22

Norton

Been playing with JRMC 22 on both Linux and Windows this w/e. Quite an improvement SQ-wise over what I remember going back to 15. From trying the various settings, it seems to be the new load files to memory option that's working the magic in my system at least (not sure what the previous play from memory option actually did). SoX seems a decent step up from previous upsampling/transcoding options too. I notice native DSD is now an option when transcoding - while this works fine, I can't see a similar option just to replay .dff/ .dsf files in native DSD.

Also getting nice results in a 2 machine DLNA setup, which surprises me as something of a network sceptic. However in the DLNA server DSP options, I can only get PCM upsampling to work, neither of the DoP options seem to do anything.

Generally though I'm impressed at the improvements.

Been playing with JRMC 22 on both Linux and Windows this w/e. Quite an improvement SQ-wise over what I remember going back to 15. From trying the various settings, it seems to be the new load files to memory option that's working the magic in my system at least (not sure what the previous play from memory option actually did).
Yes, it is an advance but it chokes on really hi-rez files.

SoX seems a decent step up from previous upsampling/transcoding options too.
Agreed.

I notice native DSD is now an option when transcoding - while this works fine, I can't see a similar option just to replay .dff/ .dsf files in native DSD.
Not sure what you are referring to. .dff/.dsf files alway play in "native DSD" unless you transcode or apply DSP.

Generally though I'm impressed at the improvements.
Yes.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Not sure what you are referring to. .dff/.dsf files alway play in "native DSD" unless you transcode or apply DSP.

If you transcode PCM to DSD you get the option of outputting either as DOP or Native/raw DSD. If you simply want to replay a .dsf file as is, there seems to be no option other than to output as DoP. Unlike HQP which has SDM pack as user-set parameter.

If you transcode PCM to DSD you get the option of outputting either as DOP or Native/raw DSD. If you simply want to replay a .dsf file as is, there seems to be no option other than to output as DoP. Unlike HQP which has SDM pack as user-set parameter.

Nope. I output native DSD stereo and multichannel via USB. Done so for years with jrmc and HQPlayer.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Jriver has supported native DSD file playback for several versions, just don't select the DoP option with DSD playback enabled.

OK I think I get it. Simply Selecting my DAC's ASIO driver as output device and Bitstreaming>DSD gives native DSD rather than DoP?

OK I think I get it. Simply Selecting my DAC's ASIO driver as output device and Bitstreaming>DSD gives native DSD rather than DoP?

I believe that should do it. As long as DSD is enabled and DoP isn't you should get native DSD, given that the related sampling frequency is set to be output without downconversion.

Could someone comment on 21 vs 22 sound differences?

I didn't buy 21 but vs. 20 v22 on Mac is really an improvement, more smooth, more natural. I'd say it's a middle ground between A+ analytical abilities and Amarra's organic smoothness.

Still prefer A+ overall though

I didn't buy 21 but vs. 20 v22 on Mac is really an improvement, more smooth, more natural. I'd say it's a middle ground between A+ analytical abilities and Amarra's organic smoothness.

Still prefer A+ overall though

Thx for the comment. 21 vs 22 somebody.?
Thx for the comment. 21 vs 22 somebody.?

I've used MC mostly as a catalog and search app going back many versions. The sound up to 21 was pleasant but rather generalized. With 22 I noticed a distinct upgrade in focus and depth of soundstage, on both W10 and Mac. I felt it was quite an improvement. The play-from-memory feature is good, as is the SoX upsampling option. I prefer Audirvana but absent that I'd be pretty happy with MC 22. If it's a question of spending money on an upgrade, I think it's worth $30, or whatever they charge. Hope that helps!

Seems ironic to be seriously (apparently) discussing alleged improvements in sound with different J River versions. I'm sure Jim would be the first to tell one and all how impossible that is. :)

I agree with zackthedog. I attribute the improvements to SoX and memory play. More refined sound and better definition.

Perhaps Jim is just modest or tries to not make too many claims about subjective advances in his own products?

I have used JRiver since about version 11 and found the SQ to have made steady advances. With a resolving system some of the changes have been pretty obvious.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Seems ironic to be seriously (apparently) discussing alleged improvements in sound with different J River versions. I'm sure Jim would be the first to tell one and all how impossible that is. :)

I'm not going to start this discussion, as it won't go anywhere. i personally don't hear difference between alac and AIFF for example, but I have the impression at least of hearing some (minor) differences between players and versions. And at least Damien for A+ sometimes states that the SQ has been improved.

YMMV.

Thx guys! Somebody else's got opinion on JR 21 vs 22.?

Noticeable difference in v22 over v21.

Doesn't take much to hear it.

Install the demo and hear it for yourself.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Nikhil - I'm curious whether you use SOX upsampling, or if the significant improvement you hear is in v22 without SOX enabled. TIA

Bill,

To be honest I have not listened to hear differences with SoX. I have it enabled.

But in my setup, upsampling or not I found v22 to sound much better than v20/21

Before replying to your post, I disabled/enabled SoX and could not hear a difference.

This is while playing Peter Gabriel's "So" in PCM 16/44.1

Perhaps a critical listening session with a wide variety of music will tell more.

Regards.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Bill,

To be honest I have not listened to hear differences with SoX. I have it enabled.

But in my setup, upsampling or not I found v22 to sound much better than v20/21

Before replying to your post, I disabled/enabled SoX and could not hear a difference.

This is while playing Peter Gabriel's "So" in PCM 16/44.1

Perhaps a critical listening session with a wide variety of music will tell more.

Regards.

Thx

Nikhil !

Modest? From what I have seen it is more the opposite.

I agree with zackthedog. I attribute the improvements to SoX and memory play. More refined sound and better definition.

Perhaps Jim is just modest or tries to not make too many claims about subjective advances in his own products?

I have used JRiver since about version 11 and found the SQ to have made steady advances. With a resolving system some of the changes have been pretty obvious.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Modest? From what I have seen it is more the opposite.

+1 ... but it looks like they finally listened to feedback on filters and dither/noise shaping.

JRiver has closed the gap quite a bit with the top players with v22.

If you are not upsamping or downsampling, SoX is not involved even if you have it selected.

Thanks for pointing that out Kal.

I just checked and I do have upsampling enabled to 352.8 KHz

I have just repaid for Jr MC for my Mac mini

It is nothing short of a headache

SQ for my iTunes library is superb

But- the dreaded flywheel comes on frequently when trying to do anything but listen to music and I have to force quit

I am trying to explore the other features of JRMC but I can't and asking for advice is nothing short of frustrating-for example Last.fm kept popping up and I asked how to get rid of it I couldn't find my post for a long time

Any suggestions or should I just keep plugging on and restarting JRMC every time the flywheel appears