IGNORED

Looking for a PCIe audio card to transfer digital to digital

Josea

Hello everybody,

I'm unsuccessfully looking for an hi-end audio card with only stereo digital I/O (coaxial RCA and optical Toslink) to transfer DAT tape recordings to PC for software editing.

But, please, let me first to tell you a bit of history...

I started around 18 years ago with a Digital Only CardD from Digital Audio Labs. This card worked fine for many years in an old PC (if I remeber well, this was an ISA card!). But that card stopped working 4 years ago. Then, I replaced it by an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (at the time, I couldn't afford a Card Deluxe from Digital Audio Labs, and this was also beyond of my little needs: just stereo digital transferring from DAT to PC). The Audiophile 2496 is a PCI card, it's still working, but this one keeps me attached to the old PC (a Pentium 3 with Windows XP).

Now, I want to build a new PC, and that means to go into a PCI-express world. Well... I'm unable to find any PCIe audio card (hi-end grade) having at least (or only) both coaxial and optical I/O. There is any?

Thanks for reading and help.

Why use a sound card at all? It looks like you have very few options. An good alternative might be to get a motherboard that has an S/PDIF out, and send it to something like a Behringer DEQ2496. You'll probably get better results doing it this way.

Adam

PC: Hot rodded CAPS v4 Pipeline: Teradak ATX linear PSU, Jcat Femto USB card, UpTone Audio JS-2 + 2x LPS-1.2 combo, Jcat SSD battery PSU, Jcat SATA cable, TotalDAC D1 USB cable, SOtM sMS-200, W4S Recovery USB, Jcat USB Isolator, Win 2012, AO v2.10

Digital: Lampizator Pacific DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Cables: AudioQuest WEL Signature IC / Shunyata Anaconda Z-Tron SC

Have you looked at RME?

RME: HDSPe MADI

Hello Nikhil,

I didn't know about that card. Thanks for the tip, but it isn't exactly what I'm looking for. I've been checking the specs and this is a multichannel card with MADI BNC I/O, when what I need are S/PDIF (based on AES/EBU) RCA and Toslink I/O.

I don't know if both standards are compatible, but, above all, is its price: around 1.300 €, and for what I need to do, it would be like buying a Rolls Royce to go to the corner store.

Have a look at Lynx Studio too. Lynx E22

E22

Hello Gonzbull,

This one is closer to what I want, but the problem is its price (seems this card is for professional use). It's well above of my budget for an audio card. The earlier ones I've had were well below that figure.

Why use a PCIe sound card? An USB Adapter with SPDIF I/O like Roland UA-55, Tascam UA-7000 or Mutec MC1.2 would also do the job.

Plus 1 to this suggestion. Probably cost around $200 or a bit more for one that does this.

One thing to watch out for is most will have an RCA SPDIF input and output. They will also have what looks like an optical toslink input and output. However most of these are ADAT and don't recognize consumer toslink though the same port and cable is used. I seem to remember some will do both, but you can't assume that will be the case if Toslink is important to you.

Also here is one that should work, there are others too:

https://www.amazon.com/Syba-Surround-CM8828-Chipset-SD-PEX63081/dp/B00FWFNY92

While I haven't done so, I assume these surround sound cards will do stereo as well. Again I haven't done so which means I can't confirm that capability.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Hello Gonzbull,

This one is closer to what I want, but the problem is its price (seems this card is for professional use). It's well above of my budget for an audio card. The earlier ones I've had were well below that figure.

Hi Josea, I guess when you mentioned "hi-end" in your search criteria I assumed you knew the price bracket you're in.

I'd follow the advice of others here and go for a motherboard that includes digital i/o. Other companies to check out are Terratec and Soundblaster.

http://www.terratec.com/details.php?artnr=12002#.V83mHDRXfCQ

http://m.creative.com/au/p/sound-blaster/1137/sound-blaster-zxr

Have you looked at RME?

RME: HDSPe MADI

For this purpose, I would rather take the HDSPe AIO (AllInOne). It is cheaper and has all the typical stereo connections, including analog...

Note! Check the accessories part at the bottom of the page, breakout cables needed!

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Hello Nikhil,

I didn't know about that card. Thanks for the tip, but it isn't exactly what I'm looking for. I've been checking the specs and this is a multichannel card with MADI BNC I/O, when what I need are S/PDIF (based on AES/EBU) RCA and Toslink I/O.

I don't know if both standards are compatible, but, above all, is its price: around 1.300 €, and for what I need to do, it would be like buying a Rolls Royce to go to the corner store.

Josea,

Your requirement of having both SPDIF and optical in a PCi configuration is likely to push you toward the pro cards as I don't believe any of the consumer grade cards offer the features. Adam's recommendation of the ESI @Juli XTe is probably the best value offer you can get.

REgards.

Win10 Transport + Fidelizer 8.7 + JRMC 28 & HQPlayer | Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock USB |  Job INT | Green Mountain Audio Eos HX

Thanks for all the tips and replies.

Well, when there were the old PC's slots (ISA, PCI) I think there were more options than now. Maybe because stereo sound (2 channels) is overpassed now. So you have to go to very specialized hardware, like the professional gear.

I don't think that to have digital stereo audio input and output from a computer mean to invest a great amount of money. For the two old cards I owned, I didn't have to spend more than € 200, and its performance has been flawless.

At the moment I'm thinking as the best option to buy a motherboard that still have a PCI slot and get an old audio card (the M-Audio Delta DiO 24/96 is perfect for me).