IGNORED

Sonic Orbiter - Rogue Amoeba / Airfoil

vortecjr

DESCRIPTION

Rogue Amoeba makes an application named Airfoil that allows one to stream any audio on your computer to an Airplay device. Sonicorbiter is not an Airplay device, but incorporates an open source application called Shairport that is also compatible with Airfoil.

PREREQUISITES

1. From the GUI go to Apps / Software Manager and install the Shairport application.

2. Go to Apps / App Switcher and select Shairport as the output mode.

3. Download and install a trial version of Airfoil from the companies webpage: https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

4. Configure Airfoil - In this example I have set Airfoil to use my System Output as the source. I have also set my microRendu as the output device. The output device is selected by clicking on the Note icon next to the device you want to activate.

Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 5.36.56 PM.png

PROS and CONS

1. As you can see above Airfoil has filters you can apply to the audio stream. When you apply a filter the audio's volume seems to increase which can cause clipping. To reduce the chances of clipping you can lower the output volume in the main setup screen.

2. The stream can be used with videos, but there is a 1-2 second delay in the audio and as such the video and audio will be out of sync.

Enjoy!