IGNORED

Ethernet vs usb

For Stereophile, full page ads used to run between $4,000-$6000. A lot depended upon insertion frequency (every month or less frequently) and if color or b/w.

Money went really fast that way...

Just curious - are these rates the norm for the magazine industry in general or do these apply to most audio magazines or only to Stereophile in particular?

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

Just curious - are these rates the norm for the magazine industry in general or do these apply to most audio magazines or only to Stereophile in particular?

Magazine advertising rates vary widely. It is all about paid and total circulation. Stereophile circulation numbers are about 85K last I checked. Want a full page ad in Wired magazine? Those probably run about $35-45K. Time Magazine? Double that at least.

Magazine advertising rates vary widely. It is all about paid and total circulation. Stereophile circulation numbers are about 85K last I checked. Want a full page ad in Wired magazine? Those probably run about $35-45K. Time Magazine? Double that at least.

Thanks for the info.

Are the rates for TAS in the same range as for Stereophile or are the circulation numbers very different?

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Thanks for the info.

Are the rates for TAS in the same range as for Stereophile or are the circulation numbers very different?

This is really off-topic.

But last I saw TAS circ numbers were less than half those of Stereophile--but their ad rates were about 2/3rds the price. It's been a long time since I've seen an official rate card from either. These days I don't pay for any advertising at all. Unless you count the $3K/year I pay Chris for the privilege of having a sponsored forum section where we are free to discuss and promote our products. Though you will note that my forum posts could hardly be considered heavy-handed promotion--I'm a shy marketeer. ;)

After we get the forthcoming products launched I probably will try to mock up something in the way of a web ad. I like supporting CA, but to be clear, I neither expect nor receive any favors in return. The whole pay-to-play notion that sometimes is assumed is a myth in the audio realm. Most mags and web sites are invested in maintaining credibility with their readership, and playing funny games with manufacturers would be damaging and would not stay secret for long.

This is really off-topic.

But last I saw TAS circ numbers were less than half those of Stereophile--but their ad rates were about 2/3rds the price. It's been a long time since I've seen an official rate card from either. These days I don't pay for any advertising at all. Unless you count the $3K/year I pay Chris for the privilege of having a sponsored forum section where we are free to discuss and promote our products. Though you will note that my forum posts could hardly be considered heavy-handed promotion--I'm a shy marketeer. ;)

After we get the forthcoming products launched I probably will try to mock up something in the way of a web ad. I like supporting CA, but to be clear, I neither expect nor receive any favors in return. The whole pay-to-play notion that sometimes is assumed is a myth in the audio realm. Most mags and web sites are invested in maintaining credibility with their readership, and playing funny games with manufacturers would be damaging and would not stay secret for long.

Thanks for the heads up.

It is interesting to veer off-topic once in a while. :)

Jon

The caveat "low-noise server with a decent clock" is a very tall order if you are looking for something really decent.

The TEAC NT503 is relatively inexpensive and has a decent clock and ALSO has input for an external clock if you decide to upgrade the clock down the road. I don't think it can beat. Also has true usb isolation and supports DLNA, streaming, and other network methods as well as digital and usb flash inputs....a very well thought out device which should satisfy....

The TEAC NT503 is relatively inexpensive and has a decent clock and ALSO has input for an external clock if you decide to upgrade the clock down the road. I don't think it can beat. Also has true usb isolation and supports DLNA, streaming, and other network methods as well as digital and usb flash inputs....a very well thought out device which should satisfy....

or not...

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

.....depending on the system into which it is inserted.

Everything is system-dependent, as always. :)

Jon

• 3 months later...
Hi everyone,

What are your thoughts on the following statement regarding ethernet vs usb?

Reference-grade Roon with the Antipodes DX Gen 2 | DAR__KO

"According (to) our man in New Zealand the argument against Ethernet (and for USB) runs like this: compared to Ethernet, USB has the potential to carry more noise from the server to the DAC but generates less of its own noise inside the DAC (think: receiver chips). Ethernet remains a good strategy with a noisy server. However, it can be bested by USB when a low noise server with a decent clock is present."

good point

Hi everyone,

What are your thoughts on the following statement regarding ethernet vs usb?

Reference-grade Roon with the Antipodes DX Gen 2 | DAR__KO

"According (to) our man in New Zealand the argument against Ethernet (and for USB) runs like this: compared to Ethernet, USB has the potential to carry more noise from the server to the DAC but generates less of its own noise inside the DAC (think: receiver chips). Ethernet remains a good strategy with a noisy server. However, it can be bested by USB when a low noise server with a decent clock is present."

My take is it depends. The argument in favor of USB assumes the interface is inside the DAC, and it cannot be extrapolated as Ethernet is always worse than USB. There are devices out there, eg microRendu, sms-100, LANRover, etc for which these arguments do not apply.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

My take is it depends. The argument in favor of USB assumes the interface is inside the DAC, and it cannot be extrapolated as Ethernet is always worse than USB. There are devices out there, eg microRendu, sms-100, LANRover, etc for which these arguments do not apply.

Currently, I am playing music files from a thumbdrive with the AQ Jitterbug in series via the usb-A port of my Esoteric N-05 dac and it sounds way better than via the usb-B port from the PC and way better too than cd's spinning in my previous Esoteric K-01 player.

I am still unable to hook up the N-05 via ethernet as my router is too far away but I have been told that going via ethernet over Powerline may turn out to be very good despite the usual reservations about powerline noise. I am now only using ethernet over Powerline for the iPad remote app.

My thinking is that with the thumbdrive direct via usb-A sounding so good, it is quite unlikely to be bettered by ethernet over Powerline for audio.

Jon

Have you try to compare thumbdrive to Esoteric N-05 dac vs Esoteric K-01 as CD transport only to Esoteric N-05 dac?

I don't have Esoteric dac, but I'm just curious since I usually prefer the sound of cd transport rather than anything via usb to my dac.

Currently, I am playing music files from a thumbdrive with the AQ Jitterbug in series via the usb-A port of my Esoteric N-05 dac and it sounds way better than via the usb-B port from the PC and way better too than cd's spinning in my previous Esoteric K-01 player.

I am still unable to hook up the N-05 via ethernet as my router is too far away but I have been told that going via ethernet over Powerline may turn out to be very good despite the usual reservations about powerline noise. I am now only using ethernet over Powerline for the iPad remote app.

My thinking is that with the thumbdrive direct via usb-A sounding so good, it is quite unlikely to be bettered by ethernet over Powerline for audio.

Have you try to compare thumbdrive to Esoteric N-05 dac vs Esoteric K-01 as CD transport only to Esoteric N-05 dac? I don't have Esoteric dac, but I'm just curious since I usually prefer the sound of cd transport rather than anything via usb to my dac.

Unfortunately, I could not make this comparison as I had to give up the K-01 upon delivery of the N-05.

But I have tried thumbdrive/AQ Jitterbug via the Marantz NA8005 which acted as a usb-spdif converter channelling the signal back to the dac section of the K-01 via coax and the SQ from the thumbdrive was better than cd's spinning in the K-01's transport.

As the dac section of the N-05 is superior to that of the K-01, it would follow that a thumbdrive via the N-05 would sound better than cd's spinning in the K-01.

Jon

• 1 month later...

For those who may be interested, this server by Innuous, delivers better sound from usb than ethernet :-

http://www.innuos.com/uploads/cms/Reviews/HiFi%20/20160912110244_HiFi_plus_sept-2016_issue.pdf

Jon

In a later article the same reviewer preferred the ethernet connection with the Lindemann Musicbook:25 DSD DAC:

Innuos Zen MkII | The Ear

Thanks for the link. The Zen reviewed by Ear is a different model from Innuous while the Zenith reviewed in HiFi+ is their flagship.

Still, it clearly shows the importance of implementation in a particular product, rather than one connection being absolutely superior to the other.

Jon

Exactly that!

USB is bliss here (not that it was exactly straight forward getting it that way).

Still, it clearly shows the importance of implementation in a particular product, rather than one connection being absolutely superior to the other.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen