IGNORED

Ethernet vs usb

Will wait for more here to share their listening experience regarding ethernet vs usb.

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

Reviews cost money.

Sorry, but that is a false myth.

I've been in the high-end industry for over 20 years. During my years as co-founder of Hovland Company, we had our amps and preamps reviewed dozens of times, with 10+ cover-photo features around the world (including the cover of Stereophile and major German and Asian magazines). And as UpTone we have had web and print reviews.

Never once have I ever had to pay for a review, nor have I ever been asked to do so.

The most we have ever done is to provide a modest industry accommodation discount on purchase of the product--after the review was published and the reviewer decided they wanted to keep the product for their reference system (an obvious benefit to us as it results in ongoing mentions-- but never coerced in any way).

The other myth deserves to be dispelled is the notion that most manufacturers set their products' retail prices at 6-to-10 times their bill of materials cost. Even for brands that include room for dealer/overseas distributor margins, this is total BS.

Just FYI. :)

I've been in the high-end industry for over 20 years. During my years as co-founder of Hovland Company, we had our amps and preamps reviewed dozens of times, with 10+ cover-photo features around the world (including the cover of Stereophile and major German and Asian magazines). And as UpTone we have had web and print reviews.

Never once have I ever had to pay for a review, nor have I ever been asked to do so.

The most we have ever done is to provide a modest industry accommodation discount on purchase of the product--after the review was published and the reviewer decided they wanted to keep the product for their reference system (an obvious benefit to us as it results in ongoing mentions-- but never coerced in any way).

The other myth deserves to be dispelled is the notion that most manufacturers set their products' retail prices at 6-to-10 times their bill of materials cost. Even for brands that include room for dealer/overseas distributor margins, this is total BS.

Superdad,

Thanks for chiming in with your insights into the business side of this industry.

That being the case, more companies should be putting their products out to the audio press for confirmation of the efficacy of their design philosophy via the most practical way - the listening test.

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Hi,

Thanks for chiming in.

I am no manufacturer, however, for personal experience I can say that reviews on Stereophile and SixMoon cost money directly or indirectly.

It is also true that independent reviews I made for Nexthardware.com did not cost any money to manufacturer (except shipping) nor I ever asked for any discount.

Hi,

Thanks for chiming in.

I am no manufacturer, however, for personal experience I can say that reviews on Stereophile and SixMoon cost money directly or indirectly.

It is also true that independent reviews I made for Nexthardware.com did not cost any money to manufacturer (except shipping) nor I ever asked for any discount.

bibo01,

So, you do independent reviews.

Any chance of getting a loaner unit from MA for review?

Jon

...and measurements.

I don't know if Mivera is willing to send me a unit.

Appropriate infrastructure needs to be in place too, both for measuring and listening tests.

Most audio reviews don't need much by way of measurements to convey the listening result, which to common audiophiles like myself, matters a whole lot more than the actual measurements.

Reviews over here at CA don't put out much of measurement results and not many readers expect them too.

Jon

Most audio reviews don't need much by way of measurements to convey the listening result, which to common audiophiles like myself, matters a whole lot more than the actual measurements.

Reviews over here at CA don't put out much of measurement results and not many readers expect them too.

I beg to differ.

Web reviews are often - in my view - not "real reviews" but simply opinions in uncontrolled conditions.

In terms of test trying a product, Mivera Audio owner asked me to publish this on his behalf:

We have made a decision that rather than wasting money on biased reviews that can't be trusted, we will offer a demo program. Think of it similar to the booking process of a hotel. You reserve the unit for personal audition in your home for the period of 1 week. You will pay a deposit of what the unit is worth, and DHL will express ship to your door, and pickup at the end of the 1 week demo period. Then once the unit arrives back and is confirmed undamaged, the deposit is either refunded, or applied towards ordering the product. In this case the shipping cost of the new unit will be free.

All you pay is our low shipping costs which are only $50 each way in North America, and $100 each way for the rest of the world.

We will be setting up this program within the next couple months as our products are released.

I beg to differ.

Web reviews are often - in my view - not "real reviews" but simply opinions in uncontrolled conditions.

I beg to differ too.

I find web reviews like those by Chris here at CA, Darko at Digital Audio Review and M. Lavorgna at Audiostream to be real and very useful.

And the majority of other readers would agree to this. I think you may be quite alone in your opinion.

It's ok. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

".....rather than wasting money on biased reviews that can't be trusted....."

Again, we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Jon

Mmm, 'confusing' at best. The Mivera Audio device that is supposed to interact with the proposed "Ravenna interface box", the Superstream Transport/Server, has a particularly 'bad' statement regarding its AirPlay support:

"Most people know what airplay is by now. This allows wireless streaming from any Apple device in resolutions up to 24/192 PCM to the Superstream."

- source:

Mivera Audio

Considering official Apple AirPlay only network streams ALAC encoded data at a fixed resolution of 16/44.1, this would have to be some feat!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

6Moons, sure. What does it cost, except for round-trip postage, to have a review in Stereophile?

Hi Kal,

Thanks for chiming in.

I guess it would be the same for Stereophile's sister site at Audiostream.

Jon

Jon

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Jon

Which is better, Ethernet or USB?

Matt

If I knew.......

Jon

No, what I'm saying is that network file streaming provides an oportunity to eliminate the need for an external connection between the audio file player and DAC (ie no need at all for the likes of USB audio, network audio via Ravenna, etc).

What you do is you build the network audio file player/renderer/streamer into the DAC........The PS Audio DirectStream DAC has a direct/internal I2S connection to its network audio file player module, the PS Audio Bridge II.

Are there any downsides to DLNA compared to ethernet or usb?

If this is the ideal solution, should it then not be the only solution?

Jon

DLNA is a protocol that is implemented with tcp/ip logic and the latter ususally runs on ethernet. There are other portocols, such as Roon RAAT, that will offer similiar functionality as DLNA. The goal appears to be to lower the computer generated noise in the device connected to the DAC. This is where the ethernet connection comes in if a device such as the microRendu is used to bridge ethernet to a USB input DAC. There are other hardware bridges but the microRendu is the only one I have used.

DLNA is a protocol that is implemented with tcp/ip logic and the latter ususally runs on ethernet. There are other portocols, such as Roon RAAT, that will offer similiar functionality as DLNA. The goal appears to be to lower the computer generated noise in the device connected to the DAC. This is where the ethernet connection comes in if a device such as the microRendu is used to bridge ethernet to a USB input DAC. There are other hardware bridges but the microRendu is the only one I have used.

Thanks for the heads up.

So having a bridge between ethernet and usb is better than going direct to the dac's ethernet or usb input. Any downsides at all?

Jon