IGNORED

Brand New CD - Every Song Rips as Inaccurate - What To Do?

This is a first for me. I just purchased a cd from Amazon. I've tried ripping it three times with DB Poweramp and each time, every song rips as "inaccurate". I can see no issue with the disc, it looks pristine. Can I return it to Amazon based on this? If I can't rip it accurately, it's worthless to me.

JC

I've had this issue with the Mac version of dbPoweramp a few times. Attempting a rip next on my Windows PC resulted in a perfect rip. Which version are you using?

Also, if no one else has ripped this disc using dbPoweramp, then there is no data in their database. Several times I've been the first to rip a brand new disc. In that case, a secure rip must be performed. Is this brand new CD a new release?

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I've had this issue with the Mac version of dbPoweramp a few times. Attempting a rip next on my Windows PC resulted in a perfect rip. Which version are you using?

Also, if no one else has ripped this disc using dbPoweramp, then there is no data in their database. Several times I've been the first to rip a brand new disc. In that case, a secure rip must be performed. Is this brand new CD a new release?

I'm using the Windows PC version. This CD is six months old, and does show up in the database. Out of forty discs ripped in this session, the only one with a problem.

JC

I'm using the Windows PC version. This CD is six months old, and does show up in the database. Out of forty discs ripped in this session, the only one with a problem.

The Windows version is extremely reliable. It could be a problem with the disc. Or you just may have to check your drive's settings in dbPoweramp. Try some of the calibration steps.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

The Windows version is extremely reliable. It could be a problem with the disc. Or you just may have to check your drive's settings in dbPoweramp. Try some of the calibration steps.

Have you tried E.A.C. too ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

iTunes will do no better than dbPoweramp, but you'll have no report telling you if the rip was exact. Better to invest the energy on getting a proper rip with dbPoweramp or EAC.

I had a similar case in the past, an solved it by changing the drive.

I appreciate the recommendation, but I am using an expensive, very highly rated external drive. It has ripped over 2000 cd's including 40 in the past 2 days without a hitch other than this one. It seems extremely unlikely it could be the drive.

JC

I don't have EAC.

JC

It's Freeware and could easily be tried to see if it makes any difference.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

This is a first for me. I just purchased a cd from Amazon. I've tried ripping it three times with DB Poweramp and each time, every song rips as "inaccurate". I can see no issue with the disc, it looks pristine. Can I return it to Amazon based on this? If I can't rip it accurately, it's worthless to me.

JC

A few responses:

1. If your CD is even a slightly different release than the ones in the database, it will result in an "inaccurate" rip, even if the rip is accurate. This can happen even when it is the "same" CD, but manufactured in a different plant. Try one song doing a "secure" rip (not using the accurate rip database) and see what happens. If it rips okay, then then the issue is your CD vs the database and the CD and the rips are probably fine.

2. The above doesn't work, try cleaning the CD with a soft cloth or even with distilled water. Sometimes a small amount of dirt or dust can cause a rip to come out "inaccurate".

3. If you haven't done it already, make sure your CD ripping device is properly calibrated and offset in dbpoweramp. If it isn't rips will come out "inaccurate".

4. How does it sound? Does it sound fine? Then why worry about it? It's just audiophile nervosa getting the best of you.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

A few responses:

1. If your CD is even a slightly different release than the ones in the database, it will result in an "inaccurate" rip, even if the rip is accurate. This can happen even when it is the "same" CD, but manufactured in a different plant. Try one song doing a "secure" rip (not using the accurate rip database) and see what happens. If it rips okay, then then the issue is your CD vs the database and the CD and the rips are probably fine.

2. The above doesn't work, try cleaning the CD with a soft cloth or even with distilled water. Sometimes a small amount of dirt or dust can cause a rip to come out "inaccurate".

3. If you haven't done it already, make sure your CD ripping device is properly calibrated and offset in dbpoweramp. If it isn't rips will come out "inaccurate".

4. How does it sound? Does it sound fine? Then why worry about it? It's just audiophile nervosa getting the best of you.

+1

if dbpoweramp doesn't try to rerip and all the songs are inaccurate then either its a slightly different release or its having problems with calibration of the drive.

I've had bad discs and when they occur at least some songs will rip as accurate.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

JC

How about something simple... Just a bad CD. This has happened to me before, returned it to Amazon and the replacement had no issues.
I appreciate the recommendation, but I am using an expensive, very highly rated external drive. It has ripped over 2000 cd's including 40 in the past 2 days without a hitch other than this one. It seems extremely unlikely it could be the drive.

JC

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out the drive. Ripping CD's beats the crap out of the transport. Especially if you use an app like dbpoweramp set for high quality.

As for returning the CD, look on Amazon and file an A-Z claim. Its easy.

A few responses:

I just listened to it, and it sounds perfectly fine. I simply didn't try this earlier because in a number of rare, previous instances where a song or two from a cd were inaccurate they either sounded terrible, or were completely unlistenable noise. I did not realize that something that ripped inaccurately could, in fact, sound fine. Thanks for letting me know.

JC