IGNORED

My new AVI system!

Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I have posted on CA. This reflects, in part, the great advice I had a year or two back from all of you (particularly Chris) when I took the plunge into computer audio. I now don't have that many questions - everything is running relatively smoothly and I am enjoying the music.

I use a Macbook for my music and feed an Apple TV which I use as my main music server with various configurations using an Airport Express, etc. However, the main reason for this post is to describe my latest system which I feed that digital signal into.

It is manufactured by AVI in England, the same company that created (and continues to create) a stir with the ADM9.1 product. My new system is known as the Neutron Five 2.1 system and is built around AVI's existing N5 speakers. The clever bit is the "2.1" bit. This is a single unit which looks like (and indeed incorporates) a very nice subwoofer. However, it also includes a Wolfson digital receiver and DAC, a pre-amp and three 100W power amps which drive the two speakers and sub. Everything is remote controlled - you just turn it on and away you go!

So what does it sound like? I gave it a fair test over the weekend whilst doing some room re-arrangement. I was using my ipod touch to control the ATV feeding a signal in via the AE and operation was simplicity itself. My initial impressions were that it produced a very smooth, detailed and neutral sound and particularly seemed to excel at low to medium volumes where all the detail was preserved. The fact you can remote control the sub and tweak it's settings meant it was easy to adjust the sub for different types of music, etc. Don't get me wrong about the volume levels though - I wound it up with some Johnny Winter earlier and it certainly goes loud and powerful.

A very interesting product, in fact groundbreaking I would say. If anyone is looking for a compact, neat, fine-sounding system to compliment a digital source for relatively little outlay I would say this is certainly one to consider.

I am happy to post a photo if I can if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Phil

Mr C,

To bad he left indeed. I know Ashley quite well now and although he has strong opinions on hi fi and other subjects, almost all of what he has told me has turned out being true or having merit. Not wanting to open up a can of worms but take compression for example, one of Ashley's pet topics. I was wary at first, but am now happily compressing some material to 256 because I am darned if I can tell the difference from lossless.

Do try and audition some ADM9.1's because they are awesome, particularly in the value for money stakes (as is the new system).

I should just say I am not in any way connected with AVI - I am just a huge fan of their products and am happy to spread the word!

Photos please ! The cool thing about the Neutron 2.1 is it has way more digital inputs and a USB input aswell. The thing I find slightly annoying about my ADM9.1s are I run out of digital inputs x2 (Digital TV, PS3, AEX) and there is only Optical (although you can specify Coax when you order). Also all the wires head to one speaker and a power point per speaker makes cord managment difficult. Wheres on the Neutron everything goes to the Sub and then wire to the rest. Can definitly see the Neutrons in my lounge with the TV/PS3 and the ADM9.1 in a dedicated audio room.

PS3 60bg (160GB installed + Native music Browser)-AVI ADM9.1-Klipsch SW12 Subwoofer-Belkin Power Board- Custom power cables-Supra Sub Cable- No Name Toslink Cable - PROUD NZer

Tonto,

I am going to cheat here a bit and direct you to another forum for my photos and details of this very versatile and fine-sounding system - see http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4552

...and of course, details can be found on the AVI website http://www.avihifi.co.uk/neutron.html

Let me know if these links don't work or you need any further info from me. Like you, I also have the ADM9.1's and am looking at a way to try and fit both systems into my modest abode!

Phil