IGNORED

A good subwoofer cable recommendation needed

IQ_AV

What makes some cables' bass 'fat' and others' 'lean' for example then.?

Imagination, most likely.

Drugs help.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

What makes some cables' bass 'fat' and others' 'lean' for example then.?

Generally conductor, insulator and construction method. Of course some are what they are. In terms of a system, its what suits your system synergy and what you spend. I would not get hung up on the make up of cables but listen to them in your system.

Generally cheaper cables are fatter or less detailed in the bass. I've found better cables may initially appear to be lean but on closer listening have discovered a more detailed, dynamic bass which then results in an easier/open sound and the bass does not overwhelm. I use the live double bass as my reference point. In a good jazz band with such an instrument the bass is often quite subtle and inclusive and definitely not fatter or boomy.

Robert

Generally conductor, insulator and construction method. Of course some are what they are. In terms of a system, its what suits your system synergy and what you spend. I would not get hung up on the make up of cables but listen to them in your system.

Robert

I completly agree. It's quite easy for me to connect any given cable geometry (gauge, solid core..) and material (copper, silver, carbon..) with a sound typical for the particular group. I admit I've never been interested in insulation material though.

As for bass in general I like low end extension (my 40 sq.m, very irregularly shaped room fantastically prevents booming) but its most important factors for me too are speed, dynamics and timbral/textural detail.

@ 'WTF stupidity' plissken

What is it like.?

To be ..you...?

Actually your and others 'experience' are exactly what I am counting on. If you can't trust your ears why should others or myself?

You have an odd way showing it.

Originally Posted by 17629v2 viewpost-right.png

Any well made interconnect should work fine. No reason to spend a lot of money. In order to hear differences between sub cables, you need super revealing equipment.

"A vivid imagination works also."

I have no idea how you can come up with saying that I can't trust my own ears? Also, I never asked you, or anyone else, to trust my ears, either.

Any well made interconnect should work fine. No reason to spend a lot of money. In order to hear differences between sub cables, you need super revealing equipment.

"A vivid imagination works also."

I have no idea how you can come up with saying that I can't trust my own ears? Also, I never asked you, or anyone else, to trust my ears, either.

al·so

ˈôlsō/Submit

adverb

in addition; too.

"a brilliant linguist, he was also interested in botany"

synonyms: too, as well, besides, in addition, additionally, furthermore, further, moreover, into the bargain, on top (of that), what's more, to boot, equally; More

And I was just correcting your misunderstanding where you thought "Anything to get the experienced listener out of the equation" when it's exactly the opposite.

The right to remain unconvinced is a basic right of any human being :)

I completly agree. It's quite easy for me to connect any given cable geometry (gauge, solid core..) and material (copper, silver, carbon..) with a sound typical for the particular group. I admit I've never been interested in insulation material though.

As for bass in general I like low end extension (my 40 sq.m, very irregularly shaped room fantastically prevents booming) but its most important factors for me too are speed, dynamics and timbral/textural detail.

Anything to get the experience out of the equation. What type of testing or evaluation have you done, that I could repeat, to prove your statement correct?

If you don't mind I will remain unconvinced :)

Then it should either show measurement wise or disappear when sighted evaluations are nixed from the equation.

How about some real engineering. Let's do some homework on the subject.

Top Ten Signs an Audio Cable Vendor is Selling You Snake Oil | Audioholics

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

These guys are just like you Sal. They talk but they don't say anything. "I'm not telling you to not buy expensive cables. Just make sure you buy a well engineered cable." Great. That clears things up. Also, can you point out the top ten signs a vendor is trying to sell you snake oil? And while you're at it, they didn't give 1 example of a cable that is snake oil, and compare it to what they are trying to sell you. Not one.

Sal, we all know that you can squeeze the crap out of a buffalo nickle. Treat yourself to a nice pair of AQ cables with the DBS system. You only live once.

These guys are just like you Sal. They talk but they don't say anything. "I'm not telling you to not buy expensive cables. Just make sure you buy a well engineered cable." Great. That clears things up. Also, can you point out the top ten signs a vendor is trying to sell you snake oil? And while you're at it, they didn't give 1 example of a cable that is snake oil, and compare it to what they are trying to sell you. Not one.

Sal, we all know that you can squeeze the crap out of a buffalo nickle. Treat yourself to a nice pair of AQ cables with the DBS system. You only live once.

If you don't understand what they're saying your as dense as a box of rocks.

Waste you're money on jewelry that adds nothing to your SQ, and may very well be degrading it, if you like.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

If you don't understand what they're saying your as dense as a box of rocks.

Waste you're money on jewelry that adds nothing to your SQ, and may very well be degrading it, if you like.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Maybe, but the bigger fool is one who worries more about what other people have, than taking care of their own business. If you put as much effort your system as you do complaining about what other people have, some day you might be able to engage in a discussion with us as equals. As it stands, you have a long way to go before you can make responsible recommendations. I'll even go so far as to recommend you get some help with your system, because after reading some of your posts, you're in desperate need.

Maybe, but the bigger fool is one who worries more about what other people have, than taking care of their own business. If you put as much effort your system as you do complaining about what other people have, some day you might be able to engage in a discussion with us as equals. As it stands, you have a long way to go before you can make responsible recommendations. I'll even go so far as to recommend you get some help with your system, because after reading some of your posts, you're in desperate need.

BruuuHaHaHaHaHa

I wonder what you imagine the cable is doing in the bass. I know, I know you hear it and nothing else can trump that personal experience.

It is possible to alter the bass in a recording and measure it easily, but the difference is one you will never hear. If you increase the size of change in the bass eventually it will be large enough a human can hear it. So if you are hearing a bass response change it is large enough to measure.

So when you hear a cable make a bass change and one is not measured, chances are it was your hearing combined with something else that changed.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Anything to get the experience out of the equation. What type of testing or evaluation have you done, that I could repeat, to prove your statement correct?

"And I was just correcting your misunderstanding where you thought "Anything to get the experienced listener out of the equation" when it's exactly the opposite."

I never said that, so how can you correct it?

Too funny.

I want to point out the patently absurd:

Yep, that's a good one. Did you see this. LOL

My God, It's Full Of -------

2001.gif

I would say something visually pleasing with the right gauge for length and power. I also found good mechanical termination between the cable and the type of connectors you have is important.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX