IGNORED

Motherboards that allow external clock sources?

Keith_W

Hi all, I am looking for a mini-ITX motherboard which allows external clock input. The reason I ask is because I am planning to buy an atomic clock for my DAC. I will have a spare clock output which I will be able to set at any frequency I like, so I thought I would use it to clock the motherboard. Is anyone aware of a Mobo that has a feature like this?

Most motherboards have at least a handful of clocks (crystal or other type) driving dozens of PLLs. If your DAC is asynchronous, I see little point in trying to improve the clocks on the MB. A more accurate clock won't reduce the electrical interference it produces.

Hi all, I am looking for a mini-ITX motherboard which allows external clock input. The reason I ask is because I am planning to buy an atomic clock for my DAC. I will have a spare clock output which I will be able to set at any frequency I like, so I thought I would use it to clock the motherboard. Is anyone aware of a Mobo that has a feature like this?

Hi Keith - Interesting idea. I've never seen a motherboard with a clock input. However, I've used many PCI/ PCIe cards that have clock input.

If you're using an asynchronous USB input on your DAC, then the PC is already using the DAC as the master clock with respect to audio.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Most motherboards have at least a handful of clocks (crystal or other type) driving dozens of PLLs. If your DAC is asynchronous, I see little point in trying to improve the clocks on the MB. A more accurate clock won't reduce the electrical interference it produces.

Yes, that is a good point. A killer point, actually. More or less means my idea won't work.

Hi Keith - Interesting idea. I've never seen a motherboard with a clock input. However, I've used many PCI/ PCIe cards that have clock input.

If you're using an asynchronous USB input on your DAC, then the PC is already using the DAC as the master clock with respect to audio.

True, but unlike 99% of people here, I am not using a USB interface. I am using AES67/Ravenna.

I am curious about the clock you are using, what one is it?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

With respect to audio? I am not sure I get what you mean here, but the DAC clock does not get used in USB transmission at all as I understand it. The data is either pushed to the DAC, or in the case of the Async, pulled by the DAC, also called Bus Mastering.

The USB bus has its own clock, and its performance has been shown anecdotally to effect asynchronous performance via products such as the Uptone Audio Regen. Just say'n...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz