IGNORED

Everything Matters

Although SACDs pressed at the pressing plant in California (I can't remember the name) had a problem with spindle cracks, that plant shut down or quit pressing SACDs...

I found the name of the pressing plant, it was called Crest National. See: Crest National Issues Statement on SACDs With Cracks. The article lists the 7 SACDs titles that were affected. Lucky me, I don't have any of those discs.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Teresa

I also had problems with the Hybrid SACD "Norah Jones-Come Away With Me" from a plant in the USA. Both copies developed a little split from the outer rim at about the same place.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I took a poor quality photo of the faulty Elton John CD, with a bright LED light shining on it from the printing side.

t4tnS3.jpg

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Teresa

I also had problems with the Hybrid SACD "Norah Jones-Come Away With Me" from a plant in the USA. Both copies developed a little split from the outer rim at about the same place.

Regards

Alex

Alex, I just did a google search for "crest spindle cracks" and the thread at SH Forums Norah Jones and *Blue Train* SACD owners: Do your discs have spindle cracks? (Crest) was the first hit. So yes "Norah Jones-Come Away With Me" was manufactured by Crest National.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

(...) I believe that the problematic mid-1980's pressed CDs that were subject to CD-rot were from the Nimbus CD pressing plant in the UK (they pressed for many UK labels) these are subject to bronzing, and the Polygram Germany CDs you mentioned which are subject to pinholes (...)

I am so glad I sold my huge CDs collection...)

In the last week or so I have found a couple of CDs that I wish I had backed up to computer.

After all the bandwidth we've wasted on this forum debating your theories on the best way to rip CDs...

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Oh boy! the cables are touching each other in that picture...

remove all the greatness recorded in that music...

so much money wasted for an error like that :-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28853[/ATTACH]

So, photo from that day's amplifier terminals end :

review_131018_marantz_10player.jpg

-review_131018_marantz_16terminal.jpg

He was bi-wiring and bi-amping. Of touching, what of speaker cables such as :

UltraBiAmp-B.jpg

Perhaps he's most careful when testing for a screw :

« Q : I hear that you work overtime quite a bit.

A : Yes, sometimes, I have to conduct listening tests to determine a single screw that will be used in a chassis.

Q : A single screw ‽

A : Yes, a single screw. And before I even listen to anything, I have to set up the speakers and amplifiers, warm them up, and so on. When I need to change my monitoring equipment, it involves moving about a ton of equipment. Sometimes, I have to change the listening environment also. It also takes time to prepare mentally.

The reason I work so much overtime is that it's quieter during the night or on weekends and holidays when no one is around, and the power is cleaner too. When I have to listen to a screw, it is quite a consuming task, so it's usually done late at night or on weekends.

It's actually quite risky to start a listening test from 5 PM, towards the end of the workday. Everyone doesn't leave at the same time, so the sound changes every 5 to 10 minutes as equipment is turned off. So, it's quite risky to attempt a proper listening test around this time. »

47.jpg

2L.jpg?1410876725

63.jpg

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

After all the bandwidth we've wasted on this forum debating your theories on the best way to rip CDs...

You really can't help yourself with the snide comments can you ?

Only my most played CDs have been ripped to internal storage due to the expense of large capacity SSDs.

Despite what you and your know-it-all buddies may wish to believe, a flac copy on an external HDD is a poor substitute for a well recorded and mastered CD ! Several members have also remarked recently about the differences between much older and freshly ripped CDs, as computers and their Operating Systems and hardware have improved in recent years.

I went to the trouble of posting that photo for the benefit of others so that they can check their most treasured CDs, and hopefully back them up before they are lost forever. I don't think that others I have lost previously due to this problem were all from W.Germany either.

Only my most played CDs have been ripped to internal storage due to the expense of large capacity SSDs.

Despite what you and your know-it-all buddies may wish to believe, a flac copy on an external HDD is a poor substitute for a well recorded and mastered CD ! Several members have also remarked recently about the differences between much older and freshly ripped CDs, as computers and their Operating Systems and hardware have improved in recent years.

I went to the trouble of posting that photo for the benefit of others so that they can check their most treasured CDs, and hopefully back them up before they are lost forever. I don't think that others I have lost previously due to this problem were all from W.Germany either.

I usually try to ignore your posts but it was so ironic that the advice you are always dispensing about how CDs must be ripped has bitten you in the ass big time.

I usually try to ignore your posts but it was so ironic that the advice you are always dispensing about CDs must be ripped has bitten you in the ass big time.

That's absolute BS! You have followed me around like a bad smell for years , and just can't help yourself with the personal attacks.

Like many other members, I have CDs from the initial batch of CD releases and earlier years, that haven't been played for many years, and are unlikely to be played again.

Despite what you and your know-it-all buddies may wish to believe, a flac copy on an external HDD is a poor substitute for a well recorded and mastered CD !
The only case when I was able to realize preference of CD over properly made file copy was when I was comparing the sound from my Jadis CD player to the sound of the copy replayed from Mac book air through the same amp/speakers.
The only case when I was able to realize preference of CD over properly made file copy was when I was comparing the sound from my Jadis CD player to the sound of the copy replayed from Mac book air through the same amp/speakers.

I didn't say that direct CD play was better. I obtain far greater SQ from properly extracted tracks to a PC than most affordable CD players. What I am saying is that most people aren't able to extract, save AND export the highest possible SQ from well recorded CDs due to the high level of internally generated RF/EMI as well as interaction through the PSU area .

And how do you know that those well mastered CD's were not stored on a crusty old external HD before they were burnt to that shiny piece of plastic?

We've all no doubt already heard your theories of a matching CRC Checksum file sounding different because it was copied from point A to point B so how do you know your shiny CD is really what the artist intended you to hear? Surely the Mastering studio doesn't keep all their files on a local SSD powered by a LPS ;)

I didn't say that direct CD play was better. I obtain far greater SQ from properly extracted tracks to a PC than most affordable CD players. What I am saying is that most people aren't able to extract, save AND export the highest possible SQ from well recorded CDs due to the high level of internally generated RF/EMI as well as interaction through the PSU area .

People are not perfect, you know. Be kind.

Surely the Mastering studio doesn't keep all their files on a local SSD powered by a LPS

I note that you still haven't answered my reply to your previous post (13) about LPS.

Cat got your tongue ?

Do you have a reading comprehension problem, or don't you know what a Linear PSU is ?

We've all no doubt already heard your theories of a matching CRC Checksum file sounding different because it was copied from point A to point B so how do you know your shiny CD is really what the artist intended you to hear? Surely the Mastering studio doesn't keep all their files on a local SSD powered by a LPS ;)

But don't forgot that the data going onto the CD was probably uploaded to the CD pressing facility using an audiophile-certified version of ftp.

People are not perfect, you know. Be kind.

People may not be perfect but getting a perfect rip of most CDs is pretty easy. Getting the metadata right is another story...

Non-perfection is a great gift. It makes us happy and agreeable with the things which are beyond our control.

I agree. This is why I stopped worrying about phenomena that can only be explained by science that hasn't been discovered yet.

I note that you still haven't answered my reply to your previous post (13) about LPS.

Cat got your tongue ?

Do you have a reading comprehension problem, or don't you know what a Linear PSU is ?

74871a142ba49bb14b761f3551e80d25.jpg

Cat got your tongue ?

LOL...O'SandyK, don't change a thing, your theories offer so much entertainment that your not even aware of it. It's OK, it really is :)

There is no need to go hunting/searching for someone who does all three things I mentioned because someone doing even one of them is all the madness I need to see. And in that case, there's no need to look any further than you as the perfect example ;)

Maybe someday you will grasp the concept of data transmission and duplication and look back at your theories today and smile but I won't be holding my breath on that one.

But don't forgot that the data going onto the CD was probably uploaded to the CD pressing facility using an audiophile-certified version of ftp.

Indeed... I do wonder though if the ISP routers/switches in between point A & B are using the proper audiophile firmware version for their hardware so no bits are lost or added in transit :)

In SandyK's world, there are such a things as 0.25,0.50 & 0.75 values in the normal 1' & 0's scale the rest of the binary world follows :)