IGNORED

Input needed: Bluetooth speaker or something else?

Our formal living room doubles as our library. There are no electronics of any kind in it and the Mrs has zero desire to add them. When she's not home I often sit in this room whether reading or just relaxing. The silence sometimes gets to me and I'd like to add some music. While I could use headphones, I choose not to use them in this case. Since I need this solution to be either hidden or portable would you suggest a portable bluetooth/airplay speaker? Do any of them actually sound good? Would something like a boombox or wave radio be a better sounding solution? Keep in mind that it must be able to be put away when not in use. The room is appx 14x18 but it's an open floor plan (multi-level home) that opens into our kitchen and dining room as well. I do not need to rock the house but would like the ability to hear music throughout the area. Just for reference any old school boombox would get more than loud enough to do the job.

How about a Naim MuSo or MuSo Qb?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Audioengine has a very great Bluetooth speaker that would fit your needs. Seems portable enough. It's basically two of their small powered desktop speakers put together end to end.

Powerful sound would fill your space, plus it looks good.

This was on my short list when I was looking and if I wanted a Bluetooth-only solution I would have jumped on it. As it was, I decided the additional wifi component on the Flex was important to me. The OP might also want to look at Sonos.

Thanks all for your input and keep it coming. I've used Sonos in the past and think it's great but it requires something more than my iphone to serve it. So far the Audioengine seems to fill my wants nicely and it's decently priced too. I also like the headphone jack input so that I can adapt future technology or use an AE to add Airplay.

Thanks all for your input and keep it coming. I've used Sonos in the past and think it's great but it requires something more than my iphone to serve it. So far the Audioengine seems to fill my wants nicely and it's decently priced too. I also like the headphone jack input so that I can adapt future technology or use an AE to add Airplay.

actually, i think sonos is a good solution -- how recent was your experience? why do you think you need more than an iphone?

here's what i'm thinking: buy a sonos bridge ($49, now discontinued) or boost ($99) and connect via ethernet to your network. buy a play:3 or play:5 and control it via your iphone (streaming services, internet radio, and/or music residing on your phone or network) using the sonos app. you can move the play:3 and play:5 around easily -- they're around bose radio size.

note: it looks like based on the latest software that a bridge or boost may not be needed . . . .

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Thanks for educating me on the Sonos advancements. A buddy of mine bought it years ago back when you had to buy the really expensive remote control. I knew they added the ability to replace the remote with a cell app but I had no idea that it was compatible with streaming nor that you could do away with the bridge and even the "server" running 24 hours a day in your house. Whether I end up using one of their speakers or not I may revisit their technology for my main rig.

I've been impressed by the Monitor Audio Airstream S200 my son bought 2 years ago. It does airplay as well as bluetooth. I think there is now a cheaper version which has dropped the airplay. .

The only slightly peculiar point to mention is that the volume control (other than the one on your iPhone) are physical buttons, no software remote control.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Computer Audiophile mobile app