IGNORED

help with new imac and usb to spdif converter.

Hi all

have been using a hiface 1 usb to spdif converter on my PC for years. Just bought an imac and cannot for the life of me get it working. can anyone advise?

If a new converter is needed, recommendations would be welcome. Am ties to using the Spdif cable as it is routed through ducting in the room. However, if a different approach is required, the i am happy to take it out. BTW, my dac only has spdif input

help....

I assume the new iMac uses OSX 10.11 (El Capitan)? If this is correct, then (afaik) there is no driver available for the M2Tech HiFace.

If you get a new converter, I would recommend something which uses the native USB Audio Class 2.0.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Most SPDIF converters should be PNP with OSX.

So, if your new iMac cannot ‘see’ the Hiface1, you need a new converter.

Check this out:

Gustard U12 Xmos USB to SPDIF Converter DAC 0 1ppm Support 384kHz DSD64 DSD128 | eBay

CA thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/gustard-u12-22517/

Works with Yosemite. Please confirm PNP compatibility with El Capitan = email vendor before putting money down.

I assume the new iMac uses OSX 10.11 (El Capitan)? If this is correct, then (afaik) there is no driver available for the M2Tech HiFace.

If you get a new converter, I would recommend something which uses the native USB Audio Class 2.0.

Why the f*** did Apple drop support for USB Class Audio 1.0 in El Capitan? And totally unceremoniously, at that, with no warning? It's not as if the driver is taking up valuable disk space. Downright rude to a not inconsiderable number of customers who depend on it.

- JediJoker

Why the f*** did Apple drop support for USB Class Audio 1.0 in El Capitan? And totally unceremoniously, at that, with no warning? It's not as if the driver is taking up valuable disk space. Downright rude to a not inconsiderable number of customers who depend on it.

Sorry ... thats not the case. Apple continue to support USB Class Audio 1.0 devices.

M2Tech HiFace (and their other products from that era) used a bespoke driver. M2Tech (for whatever reason) have been unable to provide drives compatible with the latest Apple OS.

So you can blame Apple for "breaking" the driver, but its up to M2Tech to ensure they keep their drivers up to date for the current operating system.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Not only some USB Class 1.0 Audio devices. Some USB 2.0 devices also have issues with new Macs running EC. Depends on specific device/drivers. This is why it is wise to read up on the ‘support threads’ in CA whenever there is a major OSX update.

As Audio_Elf said, makers of older devices may update their drivers to run with EC. USB1.0/older 2.0 devices that work with EC do exist.

BTW, using the latest versions of VMFusion/Parallels to install Windows10 on a Mac to address USB1.0 issues has also become an iffy bet. Don’t think W10 does USB1.0 support as well.

Not sure if the latest virtual machine software still support W98 and W2000 installations... which are no longer being supported by MS anyway, so well, there are risks elsewhere.

Guess the world has moved on somewhat. It is the the 21st Century.