IGNORED

SD card transports

I'm not a particular fan of networked solutions, the idea of a local SD card transport that works just like a cd transport but with the advantage of multi album capacity, hires capability and above all SQ vs. a spinning disc really appeals. I tend to listen to complete CD sized folders one a time, rather than surfing individual tracks, so navigating say 10-20 folders via a built in screen and remote is no particular hardship, if I get SQ benefits in return.

I appreciate I'm probably in a very small minority in this but I wondered if anyone had experience of this approach to CA?

I'm aware of a part- DIY solution, the sdtrans386 and also a seemingly amazingly heavy and I imagine fabulously expensive projected product from Lessloss ( which seems to have been projected for quite a long time now...) but haven't heard of anything else. I'm also aware of some professional products which offer replay from a SD card, but I'm looking for a dedicated audiophile product, with suitable attention to pcb, power supplies, clocks, DAC interfaces etc

I specify SD card as I've read past posts suggesting the SQ is much better than say a USB thumb drive (I used to own a Bryston BDP). Grateful for any comments on the truth of this too, or even on what might be involved in building such a device.

I do have a Sdtrans 384 and it is my best sounding source (second best is my CD transport). Yes it is DIY but not very challenging but it requires a very good powersupply. Navigation is extremely rudimentary but maybe such minimalist design is partly responsible for its sound quality. I found some ebay suppliers of SD transports but no idea how they sound. Almost all DAPs use SD cards to store music and I do have an Astell&Kern AK 120 which has digital out via toslink but its sound quality is quite inferior to the SDtrans and I think it is not only a SPDIF vs toslink issue.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

I've abandoned SSD drives in Synology NAS for locally attached SD card library to PC, currently using a 512GB Sandisk Pro Extreme in a Lexmark USB3 card reader. The high speed SD card basically does a more convincing job of providing the micro details that create the illusion of a live performance than a local or network attached SSD drive. However I do use a network attached renderer (microRendu) as I have never had good results with same file server feeding asynch USB to DAC directly. This works well for streaming with Foobar2000 or if I run Minimserver locally on the PC and control remotely with Kinsky.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I'm not a particular fan of networked solutions, the idea of a local SD card transport that works just like a cd transport but with the advantage of multi album capacity, hires capability and above all SQ vs. a spinning disc really appeals.

I looked into getting the sdtrans, as another audiophile told me it was the best digital source he's ever heard.

However, I balked at the rudimentary navigation. And the fact that my CD rips don't sound anywhere near CD playback (even on a modest Cambridge player used as a transport).

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21