IGNORED

Compulab Airtop-G - new interesting, fast industrial server

compulab-airtop-2.jpg

configure.jpg

This is a new industrial server by Compulab - maker of excellent products like Fit-PC and Fitlet.

It can be configure with Xeon E3-1285 or i7-5775C; with GeForce GTX 750 Ti, GeForce GTX 950 or Quadro M4000. It's small (25.5 x 10 x 30 cm), no fan and all aluminium.

In a configuration for a fast HQPlayer server it costs $1661:

- i7 5775C

- 2 x 8 GB

- GeForce GTX 950

- no HD

- no OS

Compulab Airtop - Airtop-G – Airtop for gaming

Compulab Airtop - Specifications

Compulab Airtop - Airtop-G

This is a new industrial server by Compulab - maker of excellent products like Fit-PC and Fitlet.

It can be configure with Xeon E3-1285 or i7-5775C; with GeForce GTX 750 Ti, GeForce GTX 950 or Quadro M4000. It's small (25.5 x 10 x 30 cm), no fan and all aluminium.

In a configuration for a fast HQPlayer server it costs $1661:

- i7 5775C

- 2 x 8 GB

- GeForce GTX 950

- no HD

- no OS

Nice(no fan), but the performance(no Skylake) seems to be not better than the best Intel NUC:

Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK Features and Configurations

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

So how does it fare upsampling to DSD512 compared to a 6700 or 6700k?

Ideally, one would need to use an actual PC with HQPlayer to compare, taking in consideration also PC setup and how resources are allocated.

However, in PassMark benchmark a 6700 scores 9,973; a 6700K, 10,990; a 5775C, 11,109.

PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

You can compare CPUs here too, just insert 6700k and 5775C in "CPU Product Benchmarks":

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/39

Ideally, one would need to use an actual PC with HQPlayer to compare, taking in consideration also PC setup and how resources are allocated.

However, in PassMark benchmark a 6700 scores 9,973; a 6700K, 10,990; a 5775C, 11,109.

PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

You can compare CPUs here too, just insert 6700k and 5775C in "CPU Product Benchmarks":

CPU Benchmarks - Compare Products on AnandTech

Thanks. It really waits for a real-world trial then. On that scale, my 6-core Mac Pro has a benchmark of 12,563 but it won't upsample in HQP to DSD512 on the non-2s polysinc filters without stuttering. But of course I can't fit a helpful graphics card for CUDA offload.

Yes, it looks like a really "cool" device.

But we already know that this one, with a small, quiet form factor and 6700K works upsampling to DSD 512- because members here are using them for the purpose.

https://www.falcon-nw.com/desktops/tiki/design/detail

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hi Guys - I just received a PM from Compulab asking if I want to review the Airtop-G.

It looks like a really good HQPlayer machine and should have CUDA offloading.

Anyone see a reason why I should or shouldn't get one in for review?

I think you should definitely get one in for review. I'm very curious about how well it does upsampling to DSD512.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Hi Guys - I just received a PM from Compulab asking if I want to review the Airtop-G.

On the Sound Galleries project team we have extensively tested 4970K, 5775C and the 6700K. The bench mark scores of these three processors are very close, but the sound quality of the playback of HQ Player doing PCM to DSD 256 and above is just not comparible, the 6700K Skylake is way ahead. The 4970K sonics were also significantly better than the 5775C.

Our sonically rejected 5775C is now doing sterling service running Solidworks 3-D CAD and has done a great job on the SGM chassis drawings

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

On the Sound Galleries project team we have extensively tested 4970K, 5775C and the 6700K. The bench mark scores of these three processors are very close, but the sound quality of the playback of HQ Player doing PCM to DSD 256 and above is just not comparible, the 6700K Skylake is way ahead. The 4970K sonics were also significantly better than the 5775C.

Our sonically rejected 5775C is now doing sterling service running Solidworks 3-D CAD and has done a great job on the SGM chassis drawings

Hi,

I believe you, but you have done those tests on a commercially available motherboard whereas Compulab designs its own system. Given its track record, I wouldn't be surprised if its Airtop has SR/EMI much lower than other assembled PC systems - SG aside.

Fortunately the Compulab Airtop-G costs less than the sales tax / VAT on the SGM server :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

There is no reason why it shouldn't be reviewed. In fact, it would be of great help. There are a lot of folks struggling to build or buy a PC that is capable of HQPlayer up-sampling to DSD512 with the toughest filters/modulators. Also its a fanless design and looks great - two important factors for many of us to put a PC in the audio room.

Ah, but until you tell us which other component's review will be delayed because you take this on, it's too easy a question. For example if you had asked "would you rather I delay my review of the T+A DAC DSD in order to review the Airtop-G?" you mighht be getting a buch of very different answers. :)

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Ah, but until you tell us which other component's review will be delayed because you take this on, it's too easy a question. For example if you had asked "would you rather I delay my review of the T+A DAC DSD in order to review the Airtop-G?" you mighht be getting a buch of very different answers. :)

You are too logical :~)

There's no free lunch, and depending on the review circumstances, something else could be delayed.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Kind of a niche group audience if you are focused on HQPlayer. I think a review of the Rednet 3 with Dante virtual sound card sounds more likely to cover new useful territory

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Hi,

I believe you, but you have done those tests on a commercially available motherboard whereas Compulab designs its own system. Given its track record, I wouldn't be surprised if its Airtop has SR/EMI much lower than other assembled PC systems - SG aside.

bibo,

why do Compulab not offer the 6700K Skylake?

Matt

There is no reason why it shouldn't be reviewed. In fact, it would be of great help. There are a lot of folks struggling to build or buy a PC that is capable of HQPlayer up-sampling to DSD512 with the toughest filters/modulators. Also its a fanless design and looks great - two important factors for many of us to put a PC in the audio room.

Dev,

with a single review you have no comparison to a computer with a 6700K Skylake. Maybe another computer/chip offers better SQ in the same price range.

Matt

Well, I am not Compulab. I suppose that in their design they cannot accommodate a cpu with a 91W TDP...

the 5775C leaves the 6700K and 4790K in the relative dust doing on board 3-D graphics

If I were building a low heat workstation for 3-D graphics, the 5775C would be my choice. The 5775C is easier to passively cool than a 6700K. Our CPU cooler block supplier in Germany is very critical about the 6700K's poor heat dissipation characteristics, and told us that the 6700K was a bad CPU choice for a passively cooled PC.

However even with a powerful graphics card installed, The 5775C is still an attractive choice due to its L4 cache

we were hoping that L4 on the 5775C would help HQ Player processing, but we could not hear any sonic improvement

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Nice package. But for audio purposes, I'm personally only interested in PCs with linear power supplies. Not many of those around that would be able to operate at HQP's most demanding settings though. But they do exist.

Any SMPS, whether in the audio PC or in another component, screws the sound up in my experience.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Nice package. But for audio purposes, I'm personally only interested in PCs with linear power supplies. Not many of those around that would be able to operate at HQP's most demanding settings though. But they do exist.

Any SMPS, whether in the audio PC or in another component, screws the sound up in my experience.

Mani.

I am interested to know which off the shelf linear power supply are you using for your DSD512 up-sampling PC ? I was under the impression that for doing DSD512, i7 6700 (k) can consume quiet a lot of power. Jussi recommends Seasonic 400 watts fanless smps at minimum. Moreover, when I used a hdplex linear power supply (in a dual Jplay setup), I found it restricted dynamics - I didn’t even notice until I swapped out the hdplex for a Seasonic and this was only up-sampling to DSD128.