IGNORED

problems with XLD on Mac

I'm new to the Mac, and I'm trying to rip some audio CDs using XLD. It starts up and rips one track, and then gives an error, saying it can't read any of the other tracks. OS X can't see the audio disc any more either, as though the drive has ejected itself. This is an LG external USB drive. The drive door won't open, either, as if it's stuck in some usage state.

I tried ripping some of the same CDs, with the same drive, via iTunes, and it works fine.

Any idea what could be wrong and what to look for?

I'm new to the Mac, and I'm trying to rip some audio CDs using XLD. It starts up and rips one track, and then gives an error, saying it can't read any of the other tracks. OS X can't see the audio disc any more either, as though the drive has ejected itself. This is an LG external USB drive. The drive door won't open, either, as if it's stuck in some usage state.

I tried ripping some of the same CDs, with the same drive, via iTunes, and it works fine.

Do you have sufficient free space in the directory which was selected for resulted files? I use XLD for long time, the only case I have error message is when there no space left in destination directory. However, I do not rip CDs with it, only transfer files from one format to another.
Do you have sufficient free space in the directory which was selected for resulted files? I use XLD for long time, the only case I have error message is when there no space left in destination directory. However, I do not rip CDs with it, only transfer files from one format to another.

Yes, there is space.

Anyway, ripping to the same drive with iTunes works fine on all tracks, while ripping with XLD stops after one track (on a couple different CDs I tried).

Also when XLD crashes it leaves the drive in a bad state (not recognized by the OS) so this seems to indicate an optical drive I/O problem.

Mike

That's weird. Trying reinstalling XLD. I use it for ripping w/my macbook for years, always the best. All the tracks need to be checked for them all to be ripped, but that is the default setting.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

Try another drive for start. Maybe something else than LG.

The LG is the only drive I have... it would be nice to solve this in software rather than purchase another drive, but in case I do need to purchase another drive, do you have a recommendation of brand? Anything particularly good and compatible with Macs?

Sony-Optiarc based drives are good for Mac. Liteons are good too (especially reading) but failed to write DL DVDs second layer - with windows all was correct as I can remember.

Actually I don't know any other newcomers with fancy names to ODD scene, I use professionally custom build VPD Optiarc drives with external 5,25" cases, with M-Disc support. Works very well with any Mac I have, with XLD too.

Optiarc DVD Burner - 5280S-CB-ROBOT

Sorry, english is not my native language.

Fools and fanatics are always certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.

You never mentioned if you are with 10.12 (Sierra Beta)... because my XLD don't work now, but was ok with 10.11.6. Just in case :-)

you can try deleting your XLD preferences, maybe they are corrupted...

home folder, library, preferences: jp.tmkk.XLD.plist

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

Wow that is strange! I have used XLD on at least a dozen different macs running half a dozen different OS and have never had a problem.

What version of Mac OS X are you using? My first guess is that it sounds like a hardware connection problem between the drive and the computer...possibly defective drive, defective USB port, or defective/incompatible bridge chip converter)...but then it is strange that you have no problems with iTunes.

If you are using an older version of Mac OS X, you should be able to use Disc Utility to remount the CD after it gets lost at least.

If you do want to try another drive, as far as I can tell, there are only two CD/DVD ODD manufactures left - LG and LiteOn (that is to say, any other brand ODD will simply be a LG or LiteOn drive with their own name plastered on). Between those two, definitely go with LiteOn! Also, a half hight drive should have higher rip speeds compared with a slim style drive.

Wow that is strange! I have used XLD on at least a dozen different macs running half a dozen different OS and have never had a problem.

What version of Mac OS X are you using? My first guess is that it sounds like a hardware connection problem between the drive and the computer...possibly defective drive, defective USB port, or defective/incompatible bridge chip converter)...but then it is strange that you have no problems with iTunes.

If you are using an older version of Mac OS X, you should be able to use Disc Utility to remount the CD after it gets lost at least.

If you do want to try another drive, as far as I can tell, there are only two CD/DVD ODD manufactures left - LG and LiteOn (that is to say, any other brand ODD will simply be a LG or LiteOn drive with their own name plastered on). Between those two, definitely go with LiteOn! Also, a half hight drive should have higher rip speeds compared with a slim style drive.

I borrowed a slim style LG DVD-R/W (actually says "Mac compatible" on the package) and it works fine with XLD. My other drive was old and may have been malfunctioning or incompatible with Mac. I think I'll look to buy a modern LiteOn if I can find one that explicitly says "Mac compatible".

I'm using El Capitan on a mid-2015 MacBook Pro.

OK, if you have tired another LG drive and that works, it does sound like there may be something up with your original drive! If you want to tinker a bit more though, there are a few things you can try.

1) Delete your XLD preferences and reinstall XLD as others have suggested. If that doesn't help anything try

2) Make sure that "Start ripping automatically" option is NOT enabled. There was a known bug with XLD on some LG drives when this option was enabled. If that doesn't apply try

3) Download the previous version of XLD (20151128) and see if that works. The current version of XLD (20151214) includes a fix for the problem mention above....maybe the fix made things worse for some LG drives?

If none of these work, it does sound like your best option is just replace your older drive. I wouldn't worry too much about the drive advertising that it is "Mac Compatible" since all external ODD should be fine on a MAC. Other advice is make sure to find a drive with its own power supply (ie one that plugs into the wall), since Macs tend to have underpowered USB slots that may not be able to power all drives that are not self powered. I would also recommend avoiding Apple's external SuperDrive, since those are made with cheap LG slot loading drives.

For a real work horse your best bet is getting something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Lite--Internal-Optical-Drives-IHAS324-17/dp/B00N9JEZCI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1472657906&sr=8-2&keywords=liteon+dvd+drive

And then putting the drive into an external enclosure with USB output. Depending on how many discs you have to rip, that maybe be more work then you want to get into though.

Good luck!

OK, if you have tired another LG drive and that works, it does sound like there may be something up with your original drive! If you want to tinker a bit more though, there are a few things you can try.

.....snip....

For a real work horse your best bet is getting something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Lite--Internal-Optical-Drives-IHAS324-17/dp/B00N9JEZCI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1472657906&sr=8-2&keywords=liteon+dvd+drive

And then putting the drive into an external enclosure with USB output. Depending on how many discs you have to rip, that maybe be more work then you want to get into though.

Good luck!

Thanks for the information. I'm getting along fine with the slim style LG I borrowed, so I probably don't need a work horse. It will take me a while to rip my entire CD collection, but I've got time. I've already ripped enough music to keep me busy listening for many evenings. I chose my favorite music first.

• 1 year later...

Hi

I have problem with transcoding Wav (+.cue) to FLAC file (to separate songs). Usually no problems with Wav format, only problem with: Audio Codec : WavPack,  rip type : image + .cue,  Recording format : 32/96

(I think “32” is problem for XLD?)

Hope you'll l be able to give me some advice

regards

Some photos of the problem.

1.       when I import .cue file to XLD

2.       separated songs appear in XLD menu

3.       but when I select transcode (to FLAC) I get massage “Error:  Selected output format  

does not support input format”  

I have some other files exactly like this (32/96) and same problems, so probably the files are not corrupted.

[MUNCHED]-XLD1.jpg

[MUNCHED]-XLD2.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

New to the forum, and just getting my feet wet with a quest for better tracks, better equipment, etc.

I've been looking at different software for ripping, deciding between apps for MAC and Windows. XLD seem to be a real winner, good balance between "tweakability" and ease of use. My issue is that when I try to rip CD's to FLAC, it shows up as an unrecognized file on my MAC. It shows as that strange "exec" file in green writing against a black thumbnail. Try opening it, and my machine simply will not. I tried downloading flac 1-2-3, but not sure if that was even necessary - or even something that would correspond to MAC. Plus, I was thinking that the FLAC driver would automatically be part of the XLD download? 

It will rip to ALAC and WAV and anything else with no problem, but would really like to be able to compare with FLAC. Ironically, was most drawn to XLD due to the variation of compression in FLAC mode. 

Could it be my version of OS, or is there something else I'm missing/not getting? 

Thank you all ahead of time!

11 minutes ago, Riccitone said:

Hi everyone,

New to the forum, and just getting my feet wet with a quest for better tracks, better equipment, etc.

I've been looking at different software for ripping, deciding between apps for MAC and Windows. XLD seem to be a real winner, good balance between "tweakability" and ease of use. My issue is that when I try to rip CD's to FLAC, it shows up as an unrecognized file on my MAC. It shows as that strange "exec" file in green writing against a black thumbnail. Try opening it, and my machine simply will not. I tried downloading flac 1-2-3, but not sure if that was even necessary - or even something that would correspond to MAC. Plus, I was thinking that the FLAC driver would automatically be part of the XLD download? 

It will rip to ALAC and WAV and anything else with no problem, but would really like to be able to compare with FLAC. Ironically, was most drawn to XLD due to the variation of compression in FLAC mode. 

Could it be my version of OS, or is there something else I'm missing/not getting? 

Thank you all ahead of time!

Do you have the OggFlac box checked on the FLAC Options page?

If so, uncheck it.

1299816807_ScreenShot2018-08-21at9_00_36AM.thumb.png.e52fa76fbcf54c44279a63278e7e0d97.png

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

check also by just do a ''command i'' on a flac file and see what app your mac open it there...

me i choose Amadeus Pro, you can select whatever application you want for opening a flac file,

then after click change all button.

Snapz001.jpg

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

3 minutes ago, Riccitone said:

Hey guys,

Thanks! Helped me understand things further...

I'm in a precarious world between MAC and Windows, but now realize that the rip is still maintained when played on any software that supports FLAC and doesn't need iTunes (I'm such a newbie). 

Grateful! 

Glad you figured it out. Enjoy the music!

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

On 8/28/2016 at 11:03 AM, mike1127 said:

Yes, there is space.

Anyway, ripping to the same drive with iTunes works fine on all tracks, while ripping with XLD stops after one track (on a couple different CDs I tried).

Also when XLD crashes it leaves the drive in a bad state (not recognized by the OS) so this seems to indicate an optical drive I/O problem.

Mike

Do you know the old medical joke: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." (patient raises his arm above his head). Doc: "Then don't do that!"

Does this suggest a solution to you? :)

George