IGNORED

Is there any windows DSD player that...

what i want is a fast good sounding player that supports native dsd....right now the only windows players i know of that support DSD are

Jriver (sounds ok but too bloated)

HQPlayer (sounds good but don't like interface)

resonic (nice interface, VERY FAST, sounds great, but doesn't support Native DSD (DOP only)

Audiogate (fast, sounds great, but requires KORG DAC for native dsd)

Foobar (sounds ok, requires plugins to support native dsd, but doesn't sound as good as hqplayer or audiogate)

jplay (i have used older command line non-gui, but haven't tried since..it sounded great, but lacking gui and DOP only).

Is it my imagination or without tweeking it seems like jriver is not optimized to play native dsd and even once you tweek it so that DSD plays it doesn't seem to sound as good as other players....is this my imagination?

Is there a good fast player that will support native dsd without having to tweek that sounds good and has a nice interface with album art? There are many players where you can just point at the directory and everything works, but don't support native dsd.

I know the mac users love audiovarna, and maybe that is the route i should take, but the thought of having to learn a mac doesn't excite me....I am getting older and lazier and just want to point to a directory and let the program do the rest.

And for the foobar lovers..i have setup that before about a year ago and it wasn't difficult, but not sure i want to go that route again, because i swear that all the other players seem to sound better...may just be my imagination but i swear that hqplayer, audiogate, resonic, jplay, seem to sound better for some reason.

Is it my imagination or without tweeking it seems like jriver is not optimized to play native dsd and even once you tweek it so that DSD plays it doesn't seem to sound as good as other players....is this my imagination?
I do not understand this. What tweaking are you referring to? You either output native DSD or you don't. IMHO, the only tweaks are those that reprocess DSD (upsampling, downsampling, DSP, transcoding, etc.) in the hope that they will sound better but, then, it ain't native DSD anymore.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I do not understand this. What tweaking are you referring to? You either output native DSD or you don't. IMHO, the only tweaks are those that reprocess DSD (upsampling, downsampling, DSP, transcoding, etc.) in the hope that they will sound better but, then, it ain't native DSD anymore.

Last version of Jriver i tried it didn't support dsd without several configuration changes....it will support it, but not out of the box, but maybe they corrected that with newer versions?

I may go that route again if there aren't any other windows players that will support native dsd...but am hoping there is something faster and not as bloated that sounds good and has a good interface and doesn't require adding plugins...preferably something you can just tell it the directory and you are done.

Last version of Jriver i tried it didn't support dsd without several configuration changes....it will support it, but not out of the box, but maybe they corrected that with newer versions?

I may go that route again if there aren't any other windows players that will support native dsd...but am hoping there is something faster and not as bloated that sounds good and has a good interface and doesn't require adding plugins...preferably something you can just tell it the directory and you are done.

JRMC supports DSD out of the box with both DoP and direct transmission. The receiving DAC and whatever driver you are using defines what formats you can use.

I can see your argument about it being too bloated - so don't run on Windows. Run the Linux version instead, which is very lean indeed.

-Paul

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

JRMC supports DSD out of the box with both DoP and direct transmission. The receiving DAC and whatever driver you are using defines what formats you can use.

I can see your argument about it being too bloated - so don't run on Windows. Run the Linux version instead, which is very lean indeed.

-Paul

-Paul

Where can I find that? I don't see it on JRMC's web site, and its not in any of the repositories that I checked.

Jriver (sounds ok but too bloated)

HQPlayer (sounds good but don't like interface)

resonic (nice interface, VERY FAST, sounds great, but doesn't support Native DSD (DOP only)

Audiogate (fast, sounds great, but requires KORG DAC for native dsd)

Foobar (sounds ok, requires plugins to support native dsd, but doesn't sound as good as hqplayer or audiogate)

jplay (i have used older command line non-gui, but haven't tried since..it sounded great, but lacking gui and DOP only).

Don't know what you are really after. But another option is Roon, with or without HQPlayer as playback engine.

Another (non-official) alternative is HQPlayer Embedded + MinimServer + BubbleUPnP App

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Where can I find that? I don't see it on JRMC's web site, and its not in any of the repositories that I checked.

it's available from J. River on Interact. if you upgrade to a "Master License" - $59 I think - then you have the right to run Windows, MacOS, Linux, and ARM I think. JRMC is *very* configurable.

Try this link to Interact - if it does not work for you, there is a link on the Downloads page.

JRiver Media Center 22 for Linux

Yours,

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

JRiver v22 has improved sound quality and plays DSD seamlessly.

The new SoX interface handles sample rate conversion much better IMO.

Running JRiver in "Audio Only" mode shuts down image and video services.

View > Audio Only Mode

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

"I may go that route again if there aren't any other windows players that will support native dsd...but am hoping there is something faster and not as bloated that sounds good and has a good interface and doesn't require adding plugins...preferably something you can just tell it the directory and you are done."

Try Teac HR Audio Player. Its free, simple and does native dsd.

+1 Roon, add HQPlayer to taste.

roon requires subscription right?

i don't want to be tied to any monthly costs...i wouldnt mind paying say $200 for good software program...just don't want to deal with monthly subscriptions.

i upgraded my jriver, so i will give that a shot in the audio only mode...i also see that resonic is working on supporting native dsd...jplay customer support confirmed they still only support DOP and with no mention of progress to support native dsd.

JRiver v22 has improved sound quality and plays DSD seamlessly.

The new SoX interface handles sample rate conversion much better IMO.

Running JRiver in "Audio Only" mode shuts down image and video services.

View > Audio Only Mode

dont want conversion, looking for native dsd support...but i will try jriver22 in the next week...just upgraded...i also like that they have a portable install so i can configure on one machine and copy the one dir to another computer...

it's available from J. River on Interact. if you upgrade to a "Master License" - $59 I think - then you have the right to run Windows, MacOS, Linux, and ARM I think. JRMC is *very* configurable.

Try this link to Interact - if it does not work for you, there is a link on the Downloads page.

JRiver Media Center 22 for Linux

Yours,

-Paul

thanks paul, if i switch from windows, i prob would go the mac/audiovarna route first...i wish jriver would make a "lite version" for just music and with a lot less bells and whistles...i will probably stick with audiogate or resonic and play with the bloated jriver for now and keep my fingers crossed for resonic update for native dsd, hqplayer w/better gui, or some other flavor down the road..i guess i am content with my choices for now..just hoping to hear of something new.

"I may go that route again if there aren't any other windows players that will support native dsd...but am hoping there is something faster and not as bloated that sounds good and has a good interface and doesn't require adding plugins...preferably something you can just tell it the directory and you are done."

Try Teac HR Audio Player. Its free, simple and does native dsd.

yea tried that one awhile ago..it is same ans pioneer and a few others are using that rebranded player...it is also available in the original mfr but i forget the name..i found it while search native dsd player and see several use the same program...doesn't sound as good as other programs to me.

dont want conversion, looking for native dsd support...but i will try jriver22 in the next week...just upgraded...i also like that they have a portable install so i can configure on one machine and copy the one dir to another computer...

JRiver supports native DSD seamlessly. Besides playback I've come around to appreciate JRiver Library Management. However, for playback sound with v22 they have closed the gap with the top players.

It is close to trouble free once you figure it out.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

JRiver supports native DSD seamlessly. Besides playback I've come around to appreciate JRiver Library Management. However, for playback sound with v22 they have closed the gap with the top players.

It is close to trouble free once you figure it out.

can you share your step-by-step configuration for jriver 22 (that or is there a config file you can share?). the only thing i really remember is from a few years ago or so was that i had to tell it somewhere to use native dsd and there were a few settings that were not very intuitive...also the configuration you are talking about where is it for "audio only" which improves the audio?

I just upgraded to jriver22 and installed a portable version...ready for configuration.

yea tried that one awhile ago..it is same ans pioneer and a few others are using that rebranded player...it is also available in the original mfr but i forget the name..i found it while search native dsd player and see several use the same program...doesn't sound as good as other programs to me.

If there's a reason avoid a product, that's it. I would say pick the player that sounds the best, and if you have to use plugins or special configuration, then just deal with it. If you know that there's a better sounding option out there and you didn't go for it, you'll be sorry.

can you share your step-by-step configuration for jriver 22 (that or is there a config file you can share?). the only thing i really remember is from a few years ago or so was that i had to tell it somewhere to use native dsd and there were a few settings that were not very intuitive...also the configuration you are talking about where is it for "audio only" which improves the audio?

I just upgraded to jriver22 and installed a portable version...ready for configuration.

All the necessary config (after installing any necessary drivers) is done on two audio setup screens.

The audio-only option is on the "View" dropdown menu.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

can you share your step-by-step configuration for jriver 22 (that or is there a config file you can share?).

Use "Bit Streaming" to bypass the JRiver audio engine.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD

Note: JRiver probably takes care of it but ensure you have a low pass filter in place.

roon requires subscription right?

i don't want to be tied to any monthly costs...i wouldnt mind paying say $200 for good software program...just don't want to deal with monthly subscriptions.

i upgraded my jriver, so i will give that a shot in the audio only mode...i also see that resonic is working on supporting native dsd...jplay customer support confirmed they still only support DOP and with no mention of progress to support native dsd.

No, Roon is either $149 a year or like $400 for lifetime. After 3 years, it automatically becomes lifetime.

Tidal is a monthly music service and can be integrated into Roon.