IGNORED

Advice on Network Radio (inc BBC streams)

I'm am a near complete novice in this area so please forgive very basic questions.

What is best PC or Linux application to both play and record radio streams?

At the moment I have JRiver, anything better/preferable?

Also can someone recommend the best BBC stream urls, esp Radio3 and 320 Kbps?

At the moment I can get some 128 streams to work, but the 320 stream doesn't seem to work, in JRiver at least. Bearing in mind they are a public service broadcaster, the BBC seem remarkably coy about publishing URLs. As I vaguely recall there was some issue about this a year or two back?

Some good proms concerts coming up that I'd like to record in best quality.

Thanks

Indeed, it has been about 18 months since the BBC changed their internet radio broadcasts to using HLS AAC. This does allow them to provide several streams of varying bitrates, the highest of which is ~320 kbps AAC, for all of their national radio stations (so not just Radio3). However, not only does the receiving device need to support HLS AAC streams, the higher bitrate streams are only available to receivers on UK IPs. Also, even the lower bitrate streams can sometimes be blocked to non-UK receivers depending on the content's copyright conditions (eg some live sports broadcasts).

The BBC do still provide a fallback 128 kbps mp3 stream for their radio stations. They did also keep the old 320 kbps mp3 Radio3 stream going for a few months after the change to HLS AAC, but that service has now long gone.

So, assuming you are on a UK based IP and can run a receiver that supports HLS AAC, you should be able to get the 320 kbps BBC radio streams. The most up to date source of UK & Irish internet radio stream info I know is on the radiofeeds.co.uk site - see the 'UK Other Formats (inc HLS)' section for links to the BBC HLS AAC streams:

UK and Irish Radio Stations broadcasting on the Internet

The BBC HLS AAC links should work with VLC player, which also has a basic, but slightly tricky to configure recording facility. However, as you are using JRiver, you could use the its UPnP renderer streaming capabilities to stream from the excellent free MinimServer UPnP media server. MinimServer's optional transcoder extension, MinimStreamer, provides a facilty to transcode internet radio streams, including BBC HLS ones. MinimStreamer also has a stream recording function, which includes timed recording:

MinimServer

MinimStreamer

We will win because our NHS is the beating heart of this country. It is the best of this country. It is unconquerable. It is powered by love.

-- Boris Johnson

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

+1 to MinimServer + MinimStreamer.

The UK IP though might be tricky unless you have a smart router that lets you configure VPN for the entire network.

Easier workaround is to use Chrome browser and Chrome extensions to get a UK IP and also record or download the streams.

If you have a Chromecast then you can cast to your receiver/amp from the browser too.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Many thanks. I'm in UK so no problem in that respect. I found my way to VLC player and was happily streaming and recording last night's Mozart's Requiem.

For VLC recording I opted to transcode to FLAC. However, neither JRiver nor WTFplay recognised the recorded file as something playable, replay only worked with VLC itself, so not sure what happened there. I will investigate Minimserver/Streamer.

Many thanks. I'm in UK so no problem in that respect. I found my way to VLC player and was happily streaming and recording last night's Mozart's Requiem.

For VLC recording I opted to transcode to FLAC. However, neither JRiver nor WTFplay recognised the recorded file as something playable, replay only worked with VLC itself, so not sure what happened there. I will investigate Minimserver/Streamer.

I used to record BBC stuff, first with a cassette and tuner and then with a windows laptop running Adobe Audition.

There is lots of software available for recording but Audition met all my requirements at the time.

Nowadays I use either a Humax Freesat or Freeview box to record all sorts of programs, both have good sound quality and can supply an external DAC.

The BBC iPlayer Radio app allows access to the previous 30 days content on all stations (currently listening to Paul Jones from last Monday streaming via a Moto G 'phone and Audio Chromecast).

Last but not least, a Raspberry pi3 with LMS and a suitable output also provides all the BBC Radio Goodness.

Why not redo the transcode using foobar200

atb

Ronnie