IGNORED

Laptop for music production?

The most powerful one you can afford! i7 CPU minimum, 8Gb RAM minimum.

USB and Thunderbolt seem to be the two prevailing multichannel audio interfaces. Most Thunderbolt devices are Mac only but this should be set to change quite soon with Windows compatibility.

AOIP, such as Focusrite Rednet works via LAN port so would also be a flexible method.

I'm not sure if I can post this here but I want to seek advice for a laptop that is best for music production. I checked some list but I want to know some other suggestions or thoughts if you have any.

Many Thanks! :)

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

I'm not sure if I can post this here but I want to seek advice for a laptop that is best for music production. I checked some list but I want to know some other suggestions or thoughts if you have any.

Many Thanks! :)

The most powerful one you can afford! i7 CPU minimum, 8Gb RAM minimum.

Since you didn't list a price point, I would have a go at either a Dell Precision or Toshiba Tecra:

Business Laptop & 2-in-1 PCs​ | Dell UK

Toshiba

... as both are business-class machines and as such, may be fully customised to your requirements.

When I purchased my current laptop (Toshiba Tecra W50-A) in late 2014, it was readily available. Sadly, it doesn't seem so now. The A-50-C class machines are quite nice, however.

No idea what your budget is, or what type of programs you are going to run, but you may want to have a look at Ubuntu Studio. It utilizes far less resources than Windows. Best of all, its free and you can burn the iso file to a dvd and run it live. That way, you won't have to commit to installing it on your hard drive until you're tried it first.

Depends upon what you are trying to accomplish. With large music files or lots of channels recorded at once the bigger, faster and more memory the better. Definitely want a SSD at some point for best performance.

On the other hand what level of music production are we talking about? I have a decade old Dell laptop with 4 gig memory and 5400 rpm HD that will work for at least up to 8 channels of music at 96 khz. I am only doing recording without processing happening concurrently to the recording. Do the processing later, and while it is a touch slower than my newer laptop there are no problems and it isn't slow enough it becomes unusable. One could get fine results with it if needed. The faster machine doesn't record or process any better. It simply is faster processing. I don't do audio processing while recording. If you plan on that then you do need a better machine.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

You're asking the wrong question (IMO).

You should work out what software you want to run, and what recording capabilities you need, then ask what laptop you need to run those on.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.