IGNORED

Article: The Music In Me: The Song of the Century

If the Confederate Union flag or any of its offspring may be a trigger for racist or regionalist or xenophobic behaviour then you should remove it.

Just like you should remove the guns...

You can't expect every man or woman to behave himself.

That's what laws and rules of social conduct are for.

Before that you had the wild west.

I don't know much about US history but even from my European perspective I understand the importance of symbols.

But events took place that led you to a union and the symbols should reflect this, not the past or some idyllic future that never was...

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

It's quite simple. It reminds people of the divided nature of race relations in this country. We should be striving to put all the hate behind us, and pull together as one people to solve the very real problems that face our society today. As an example, if political correctness forces people to not display the Confederate battle flag, and has several states having to redesign their state flags to remove the Confederate motif from it, then a song reminding people of the heinous practice of lynching should be likewise frowned upon. Remember, from the South's perspective, the War Between the States was fought for the concept of State's Rights, not slavery. That's what the Confederate battle flag means to them - not a reminder of Jim Crow.

But it doesn't make it great (or even particularly good) music, and that's my my only objection to the song being hailed has great art (which is what this thread is about). As a political/social/moral message, to me it's neither here nor there. I think dragging-up old hates is somebody's political agenda, and in this case I'd let sleeping dogs lie. IOW, I'm critiquing the song, not it's moral message or it's use as a political tool for change. By the same token, I consider myself a loyal American, yet I hate our National Anthem. To me it's embarrassingly bad music with clumsy lyrics which are difficult to sing. This especially annoys me when I think of all the much better pieces of music that were considered and rejected: Columbia, Gem of the Ocean, America the Beautiful, Stars and Stripes Forever, and several more...

Well, that's another discussion, and I'll not get into it, here, but at the risk of mixing my metaphors, That can of worms is a two edged sword. :)

i don't live in the United States, I live in Canada but, I think that I speak for lots of Black guys. We are reminded of the divided nature of society just about every time that we step on to the street. Trying to burry it by not playing carts in music or surfacing certain topics in conversation is quite frankly, pointless. Better to spend energy changing the conditions that give rise to the situation.

Music Server(s): Aurender N100H, Digital to Analog Converter(s): Audio Research DAC 8, Digital to Digital Converter: Bryston BUC-1, Preamplifier: Ayre K-5xeMP, Amplifier(s): Ayre V-5xe, Loudspeakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Interconnects: Kimber PBJ, Cardas Clear, Bryston AES/EBU, Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber PR8, Miscellaneous: Oppo BDP 95 disk player, CJ Walker turntable Jelco SA-750D tone arm, Ortofon 2M black cartridge, Magnum Dynalab tuner, Dream System: I've got it!, Headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Grado PS500e, Headphone Amplifier(s):Graham Slee Novo

i don't live in the United States, I live in Canada but, I think that I speak for lots of Black guys. We are reminded of the divided nature of society just about every time that we step on to the street. Trying to burry it by not playing carts in music or surfacing certain topics in conversation is quite frankly, pointless. Better to spend energy changing the conditions that give rise to the situation.

+1!

Remember, My criticisms are about the song AS MUSIC, and not it's "message". When it comes to messages in art, I like to quote Louis B. Mayer, head of MGM studios during Hollywood's "golden era": "We make movies, not propaganda. If you want to send a message use a telegram!"

George

+1!

Remember, My criticisms are about the song AS MUSIC, and not it's "message". When it comes to messages in art, I like to quote Louis B. Mayer, head of MGM studios during Hollywood's "golden era": "We make movies, not propaganda. If you want to send a message use a telegram!"

Because one doesn't intend to make propaganda does not mean that one is not doing so. Nina Simone's politics grate with some because they do not accept the status quo. On the other hand, MGM's films under Mayer largely accepted the normalcy of the twisted human relations that it portrayed. In the view of many, Mayer was indeed a propagandist and his films were , without question, used to press certain views of certain people. The relationships between blacks and whites, Chinese and whites, men and women portrayed in MGM films of the time might, to some, represent with accuracy relationships at the time. To many, MGM's output sent some very clear messages. Simone, her precursors and successors also had a message and it was a rejection of the "Gone With The Wind" imagery of people of colour in early 20c American mass culture.

Its precicely because they rejected being assailed by the prevailing ideology and its propaganda that, during the period, scores of American artists (Simone included) fled the United States to live in more liberal societies such as France.

Having said all of that, if you don't like Simone as music, that is entirely your choice. I don't like most Rap or Hip Hop nor do I like Brahms or Schumann Lieder (unless it's without voices).

Music Server(s): Aurender N100H, Digital to Analog Converter(s): Audio Research DAC 8, Digital to Digital Converter: Bryston BUC-1, Preamplifier: Ayre K-5xeMP, Amplifier(s): Ayre V-5xe, Loudspeakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Interconnects: Kimber PBJ, Cardas Clear, Bryston AES/EBU, Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber PR8, Miscellaneous: Oppo BDP 95 disk player, CJ Walker turntable Jelco SA-750D tone arm, Ortofon 2M black cartridge, Magnum Dynalab tuner, Dream System: I've got it!, Headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Grado PS500e, Headphone Amplifier(s):Graham Slee Novo

Rage Against The Machine is one of the most political bands and one of the most talented groups of musicians around. I love their music and the messages. However, I don't necessarily agree with the messages, I still like it that they are fighting for something in their music.

Needless to say, I like music with messages. It gets my brain going.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Rage Against The Machine is one of the most political bands and one of the most talented groups of musicians around. I love their music and the messages. However, I don't necessarily agree with the messages, I still like it that they are fighting for something in their music.

Needless to say, I like music with messages. It gets my brain going.

I too like Rage Against The Machine.

What an exageration of the "Hollywood Progressive" card. Since when have "films about space ships, dinosaurs" not won academy awards? They win lots. The list isn't even short.

You're being too literal. I'm talking about major academy awards. not the technical stuff. Best Picture? Best Actor?, Best Writer, Best Director? "Films about space ships and dinosaurs" don't win that stuff. Of if they do, it's not very often.

George