IGNORED

Sonore USB Adapter - discontinued

I wouldn't overthink this. I'm using a short USB cable so are a good portion of my customers.

I really like the new Sonore/Cardas USB adapter! Thank you for this little gem. A great stocking stuffer, ha ha...

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

I really like the new Sonore/Cardas USB adapter! Thank you for this little gem. A great stocking stuffer, ha ha...

I'm planning to try various short link cables from Curious , Triode Wire labs mR Dongle etc & would like to know if you had any other after market cable before trying the Sonore/Cardas USB adapter?

I'll also try Sonore/Cardas USB adapter if i get a chance.

I'm planning to try various short link cables from Curious , Triode Wire labs mR Dongle etc & would like to know if you had any other after market cable before trying the Sonore/Cardas USB adapter?

I'll also try Sonore/Cardas USB adapter if i get a chance.

Sorry to get off topic, but yes I have the Curious Link.

I haven't done a careful comparison yet as it's still burning in, but my initial impression is the Sonore is more balanced between low, mid, and high. Maybe even slightly more open on the highs. To my ears/system the Curious is slightly V shaped. But again, no critical comparison yet, and very much in the category of subtle-difference-only-mattering-to-audiophiles/phools like myself.

Price is a factor, too. I think the Sonore is a reasonable value in audio terms.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

I haven't done a careful comparison yet as it's still burning in, but my initial impression is the Sonore is more balanced between low, mid, and high. Maybe even slightly more open on the highs. To my ears/system the Curious is slightly V shaped. But again, no critical comparison yet, and very much in the category of subtle-difference-only-mattering-to-audiophiles/phools like myself.

Price is a factor, too. I think the Sonore is a reasonable value in audio terms.

I guess I'll have to try one myself. Thanks for the impressions.

I'd be interested in hearing results of a more critical comparison. The Curious Link rolled off the highs relative to my Audience USB, so I sold it. If you find the Sonore more extended in the highs, then I may want to purchase one to audition myself.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 4 weeks later...

Not much chatter about this Sonore (Cardas) adapter. Decided to go ahead and order today to give it a try.

I am using the cheapy stock hard usb adapter now, which I prefer to my Curious Link when used with my microRendu. This is odd because in all other applications, the Curious Link beat the hard adapter without any problems.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Not much chatter about this Sonore (Cardas) adapter. Decided to go ahead and order today to give it a try.

I am using the cheapy stock hard usb adapter now, which I prefer to my Curious Link when used with my microRendu. This is odd because in all other applications, the Curious Link beat the hard adapter without any problems.

I bought the Cardas Adapter to compare it with Hard Adapter, AQ Carbon and Triode Wire Labs Dongle.

Here is system setup in dedicated theater room with acoustic treatments

I used mR in both Roon and HQPlayer mode to evaluate the cables.

Synology NAS->Router->Netgear Switch->Supra Cat 8Cable->mRendu->Oppo HA-1->Salk Soundscape 8's

When I got mR a month ago I connected with hard adapter and I was simply impressed by mR performance. Lots of details, clarity and bass was a bit fuller but I was looking for more.

I replaced hard adapter with AQ Carbon (1.5m) and the top end even improved more but had a more sizzle to it and the bottom end was a bit less fuller than hard adapter.

Then I replaced Sonore Adapter and it further improved the clarity and mid bass and bass stayed the same as AQ but I can live with that.

I then tried Triode Wire Labs Dongle (9") that sound terrific. The top was much smoother and bass was perfect to my liking not too heavy and not too light.

If I did not hear TWL I would have happily lived with Cardas Adapter but that's also system dependent. Oppo HA-1 is little edgy in my system so TWL is a good fit but if I had a warm DAC I would prefer Cardas Adapter. Also Cardas is much cheaper than TWL so it’s a no brainier if it works in your system.

I would rank them in order of preference

TWL

Cardas

Hard Adapter

AQ Carbon

Thanks for the feedback audiocrazy.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to comparing the Sonore/Cardas hard adapter to the generic stock hard adapter that comes with the microRendu, and a Curious Link. Normally, the Curious is my "go to" usb cable, as it beat out many contenders (Light Harmonic 10G, TotalDac D1 (just barely), etc., etc.).

For some odd reason, I found the stock hard usb adapter to be better than the Curious Link when placed between my MicroRendu and Berkeley Alpha. Comparing the Curious to the stock hard adapter, the Curious seemed to remove just a little bit of 'air' and energy if that makes sense. On the other hand, the stock adapter introduced just a smidgen of hardness, that I've learned to live with. Removing 'air' and energy are not sonic traits I would normally assign to the Curious as it does not do that in any other position (before/after a MacBook Pro, or Intona or Regen or Remedy or Berkeley). The Curious was much better than the stock adapter in all other positions. Go figure....

As background, I am already very happy with the sound of my system so I am not looking to tweak the sound signature.

Switching out the Sonore hard adapter for the stock hard adapter is a definite further improvement. More details, clarity... begrudgingly I will use the tired, worn out cliché- veils have been removed and I already thought my system was very transparent. As a bonus, I'm not hearing the smidgen of hardness that I get when using the stock adapter.

Well worth the money. Caveat, I have not tried the Sonore adapter in any other position. These are simply my findings using it between my microRendu and my Berkeley Alpha.

I finally got around to comparing the Sonore/Cardas hard adapter to the generic stock hard adapter that comes with the microRendu, and a Curious Link. Normally, the Curious is my "go to" usb cable, as it beat out many contenders (Light Harmonic 10G, TotalDac D1 (just barely), etc., etc.).

For some odd reason, I found the stock hard usb adapter to be better than the Curious Link when placed between my MicroRendu and Berkeley Alpha. Comparing the Curious to the stock hard adapter, the Curious seemed to remove some 'air' and energy if that makes sense. That is not a sonic trait I would normally assign to the Curious as it does not do that in any other position (before/after a MacBook Pro, or Intona or Regen or Remedy or Berkeley). The Curious was much better than the stock adapter in all other positions. Go figure....

As background, I am already very happy with the sound of my system so I am not looking to tweak the sound signature.

Switching out the Sonore hard adapter for the stock hard adapter is a definite further improvement. More details, clarity... basically I will use the tired, worn out cliché- veils have been removed and I already thought my system was very transparent. Well worth the money. Caveat, I have not tried the Sonore adapter in any other position. These are simply my findings using it between my microRendu and my Berkeley Alpha.

I don't see the Sonore/Cardas on the Sonore site, how much is it ?

rogerdn

I don't see the Sonore/Cardas on the Sonore site, how much is it ?

$75. See Jesus' first post in this thread, look at his signature and click on 'accessories'.

For some odd reason, I found the stock hard usb adapter to be better than the Curious Link when placed between my MicroRendu and Berkeley Alpha. Comparing the Curious to the stock hard adapter, the Curious seemed to remove just a little bit of 'air' and energy if that makes sense. On the other hand, the stock adapter introduced just a smidgen of hardness, that I've learned to live with. Removing 'air' and energy are not sonic traits I would normally assign to the Curious as it does not do that in any other position (before/after a MacBook Pro, or Intona or Regen or Remedy or Berkeley). The Curious was much better than the stock adapter in all other positions. Go figure....

Switching out the Sonore hard adapter for the stock hard adapter is a definite further improvement. More details, clarity... begrudgingly I will use the tired, worn out cliché- veils have been removed and I already thought my system was very transparent. As a bonus, I'm not hearing the smidgen of hardness that I get when using the stock adapter.

Well worth the money. Caveat, I have not tried the Sonore adapter in any other position. These are simply my findings using it between my microRendu and my Berkeley Alpha.

Thanks for the feedback Blake.

Yes, Blake, sounds like exactly what I need. As I've reported more than a few times, when using the microRendu I just can't live without the hard adapter's sense of air, liveliness and dynamics, but it comes at the price of a little brittleness or maybe more like upper midrange hardness. If the Sonore/Cardas adapter addresses the latter while keeping the former, I'm VERY interested. Thanks for the feedback.

• 1 month later...

I can't seem to find a posting regarding a comparison between different USB cables or between USB cables and the Sonore USB jumper used with microRendu. Pointing me in the right direction, would be appreciated.

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos PhoenixNet Switch>Muon Pro ethernet cable>Muon Pro>Grimm Mu2>AudioQuest Dragon XLR>NAD M23> Falcon 2024 Limited Edition LS35a & REL T7Xi sub. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite SX powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner W/Ground Master City.

Hi V,

I am sure you'll get a fair few posts. For me I used:

1. A standard USB cable;

2. The supplied adapter;

3. A £40 HiFi USB cable;

4. Totaldac D1 USB cable; and

5. USB B female to USB A male adapter.

They all sound different in small ways, with the exception of (4) which was warmer, but perhaps masked a level of detail. I have ended up using (5), which cost me £1.15! It is on the end of a looooong USB chain.

System sounds really very good.

M

I can't seem to find a posting regarding a comparison between different USB cables or between USB cables and the Sonore USB jumper used with microRendu. Pointing me in the right direction, would be appreciated.

There you go:

P.S.-take it with Xmas spirit

In the beginning God made 'the light.'

Shortly thereafter God made three big mistakes.

The first mistake was called MAN, the second mistake was called WO-MAN, and the third mistake was the invention of THE POODLE.

Hi V,

I am sure you'll get a fair few posts. For me I used:

1. A standard USB cable;

2. The supplied adapter;

3. A £40 HiFi USB cable;

4. Totaldac D1 USB cable; and

5. USB B female to USB A male adapter.

They all sound different in small ways, with the exception of (4) which was warmer, but perhaps masked a level of detail. I have ended up using (5), which cost me £1.15! It is on the end of a looooong USB chain.

System sounds really very good.

M

Was your # 5 similar to the short Sonore USB adapter style with your microRendu hanging off the back off your DAC?

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos PhoenixNet Switch>Muon Pro ethernet cable>Muon Pro>Grimm Mu2>AudioQuest Dragon XLR>NAD M23> Falcon 2024 Limited Edition LS35a & REL T7Xi sub. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite SX powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner W/Ground Master City.

Yes, just with a female input on the non-DAC side, rather than use a gender bender to use the supplied Sonore hard adapter.

My mR >>> DAC chain is:

>>>>mR > USB2RJ45 > AQ Cinnamon > RJ452USB > VBus2 > AQ JB > Hard Adapter > Audio Breeze DU-U8 (AES) > Mutec3+USB (AES) > Bel Canto 3.5vb DAC

I added this lot to try and solve an issue, which was resolved by putting a Line Isolator between my DAC and pre-amp. Do I need this lot? Maybe. I need to strip right the way back to just the mR and the isolator and add things back into the chain.

.....as it currently sounds great I am giving myself a break!

M

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can anyone show a picture of twisted 90 usb adapter, i cant find any photos on internet. Twisted to which way? I dont have enough space behind my dac, so want to buy one. Thanks

dCS Network Bridge | Audio Note DAC2 Signature | Audio Note M5 Preamp | Audio Note Empress Silver Monoblocks | Audio Note AN-E/Spe HE Speakers

Can anyone show a picture of twisted 90 usb adapter, i cant find any photos on internet. Twisted to which way? I dont have enough space behind my dac, so want to buy one. Thanks

It's right on their site

Sonore - Home