IGNORED

Can MIDI information be transferred between different DAW's and different sets of plug-ins?

Hi! Can MIDI information be transferred between different DAW's and different sets of plug-ins?

I will be collaborating on a project with a friend soon and we would like to be able to work fluidly over Skype or in the same room at times. He as a Mac, I have a PC; he has Logic, I have Cubase; he has built in plug-ins, I have EastWest Symphonic Orchestra. We have different set-ups for different reasons, but is there an effective way that we can be working on the same thing at the same time? Basically, if I had a virtual trumpet track with MIDI info on it, would I be able to export that and send it to him so he could load that MIDI info onto a virtual trumpet track of his own? Not so much concerned with the difference in sound quality between the plug-ins, but about the connectivity of the MIDI info. I'm new to ALL this, so thanks in advance!

If you were both using Cubase then there are certainly ways to properly collaborate in real-time on projects using 'VST Connect'. Not so sure that the possibilities are the same when different DAWs are used.

MIDI information can be freely exported and imported between DAWs, as can audio parts, so the short answer is yes for the basic music info and audio parts.

The most basic method is to export the midi files and share them to each other.

PS: this isn't the best place to ask about audio production, the gearslutz website is full of helpful pros.

;-)

Hi! Can MIDI information be transferred between different DAW's and different sets of plug-ins?

I will be collaborating on a project with a friend soon and we would like to be able to work fluidly over Skype or in the same room at times. He as a Mac, I have a PC; he has Logic, I have Cubase; he has built in plug-ins, I have EastWest Symphonic Orchestra. We have different set-ups for different reasons, but is there an effective way that we can be working on the same thing at the same time? Basically, if I had a virtual trumpet track with MIDI info on it, would I be able to export that and send it to him so he could load that MIDI info onto a virtual trumpet track of his own? Not so much concerned with the difference in sound quality between the plug-ins, but about the connectivity of the MIDI info. I'm new to ALL this, so thanks in advance!

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen