IGNORED

Good (SATA) cable versus no cable?

Not sure if I am in the right sub forum here. I very recently bought myself an audio grade SATA cable and found it to create quite a stropng effect on audio quality. The increase of definition and clarity is quite obvious (even without the effects of so called burn- in).

Now I just learned that there are SSDs that have a PCI-Express interface with much higher transfer rates than SATA 600. I did not know that those exist, also my current Asus Mainboard does not yet support them.

So my question is: By my own amateurish logic "no cable at all" should always be superior to even the best cable. Therefore better SQ to be expected with those PCIe SSDs - the only factor I can think of the other way round is that a PCIe SSD cannot be powered separately (or only in a complicated way) and therefore has no access to clean power from battery or a linear PSU.

Thanks

Bernhard

(the only factor I can think of the other way round is that a PCIe SSD cannot be powered separately or only in a complicated way) and therefore has no access to clean power from battery or a linear PSU.

Bernhard

I.M.E. that is a very important factor.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Bernhard

I.M.E. that is a very important factor.

Regards

Alex

Thanks Alex. I have read around in several forums and threads, and I had the feeling that a battery driven PS like the Bakoon BPS-02 would have been a good unit for me. Unfortunately it seems that it is discontinued. I would like to start by externally powering the SSDs (OS and music). Are you aware of a not to esoterically priced solution that delivery the cleanest possible power for an SSD?

Thank you.

Bernhard

Thanks Alex. I have read around in several forums and threads, and I had the feeling that a battery driven PS like the Bakoon BPS-02 would have been a good unit for me. Unfortunately it seems that it is discontinued. I would like to start by externally powering the SSDs (OS and music). Are you aware of a not to esoterically priced solution that delivery the cleanest possible power for an SSD?

Thank you.

Bernhard

Being a DIY person I am unable to recommend any suitable commercial PSUs.

However, something like the attached can be used to power an internal SSD directly from the internal 12V rail when it is adjusted to give a +5V output. A 4 pin molex to SATA power cable can be cut in half to connect it in.

It's not the ultimate, but a couple of other members have reported improved results when using this voltage regulator module.

It is however cheap to try, and then see if you wish to pursue this area further.

Regards

Alex

Ultra LOW Noise 40ÎœV Adjustable Voltage Regulator Module 1 25 20V 1 5 AMP | eBay

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Thank you.

Bernhard

UpTone Audio JS-2 is perfection.

Are you aware of a not to esoterically priced solution that delivery the cleanest possible power for an SSD?

Hailey

I doubt that this meets Bernhard's criteria. Although it is possibly the best PSU available for use with a Mac Mini, it would most likely be difficult to connect it to another type of PC. (He is using an Asus Motherboard) A Paul Hynes PSU may also be able to be used, but it is not inexpensive either.

Regards

Alex

Hmm, I must say my knowledge of electronics is close to zero, I know how to build a PC to my wishes from standard components, but I never have learned to solder (maybe I should!), let alone more complicated things.

As I said, I would like to first power my 2 SSDs. The UpTone JS-2 has 2 outs with selectable Voltage. Could I simply power the 2 SSDs from those outputs? In this case my computer being a PC (not a Mac) should not happen, a SATA SSD is a SATA SSD. The upcoming JS-1 - as far as I have understood - only has one output - does that mean only one SSD could be connected? In this case I'd need 2 of them, which would match the price of the JS-2.

Hmm, I must say my knowledge of electronics is close to zero, I know how to build a PC to my wishes from standard components, but I never have learned to solder (maybe I should!), let alone more complicated things.

As I said, I would like to first power my 2 SSDs. The UpTone JS-2 has 2 outs with selectable Voltage. Could I simply power the 2 SSDs from those outputs? In this case my computer being a PC (not a Mac) should not happen, a SATA SSD is a SATA SSD. The upcoming JS-1 - as far as I have understood - only has one output - does that mean only one SSD could be connected? In this case I'd need 2 of them, which would match the price of the JS-2.

If you had access to a Digital meter to measure and adjust the voltage output of the module I suggested before plugging it in to an SSD, you wouldn't need to solder. You would only need to strip the ends of the cut in half cable, and screw them in. You would of course need adequate room to mount the voltage regulator, perhaps on the bottom of the case.

JyFvvX.jpg

Thank you, before I spend lots of money for a commercial HiFi (linear) PSU, I'll look into this. I copied your answers with the pic.

Incidentally, a reasonably experienced DIY person could take a pre assembled module such as this and put it into a suitable case along with a transformer, mains socket and on/off switch, to provide a versatile low noise PSU for other uses including powering a USB Regen etc.