IGNORED

My first NAS, going deep! QNAP TVS471 for Roon Server. Got a question or three!

Installed ASUS RT-AC68U router, QNAP TVS471 (120gb SSD, 3- 4TB hds) ran cables and mRendu shipped today, going to an Auralic dac and on to a Pass 250.8. My intention is to use the NAS for Roon Server (SSD) music storage and back up. Have not signed up with Roon yet. I use a mac so I will rip my cds aiff with XLD to the NAS. I am reading much to get up to speed with this particular NAS.

Question: do/should I create a user folder and create a music folder within this on drive 2 volume 1 for example (2 and 3 are raid 1) and rip all my music to this folder?

Question: do you rip in XLD one cd at time or in batches?

Thanks all

Hi,

you can do a 14day trial with roon first.

Then you can create a folder "RoonServer" on your quick SSD and a folder "music" on the Raid.

Here is how to install the roon Server (core) on your NAS

Roon Server running on Synology & QNAP NAS (x64) - cr hobby room

After that you can access the Files from roon App on Phone, Pad, Mac... and choose mRendu as endpoint for roon

do not know much about mac ripping, i take dbpoweramp on a pc. There is a mac version too.

roon ROCK on a NUC Dawsoncanyon

ELAC DDP-2 as roon endpoint and Preamp (also for analog devices, TV, Omtec turntable amp for my Thorens TD2001)

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

RME ADI 2 DAC Fs DAC/Pre with ADAM Artist5 at PC setup

Grado GH-1 Headphone

eintom, thanks for your reply.

I got a 60 day Roon trial with the mRendu so I'm off and running.

I added Tidal as well. I will either use XLD or dbpoweramp for mac later today and start ripping

to the nas. I started with a new ASUS router and ended with fiber optic thru TPlink gigabit converters

to the mRendu/Auralic Vega. Wasn't the most intuitive install but its up and sounds pretty good.

Peace

Hi,

you can do a 14day trial with roon first.

Then you can create a folder "RoonServer" on your quick SSD and a folder "music" on the Raid.

Here is how to install the roon Server (core) on your NAS

Roon Server running on Synology & QNAP NAS (x64) - cr hobby room

After that you can access the Files from roon App on Phone, Pad, Mac... and choose mRendu as endpoint for roon

do not know much about mac ripping, i take dbpoweramp on a pc. There is a mac version too.

glad that it works

i have a vega too, brilliant choice ;-)

peace!

roon ROCK on a NUC Dawsoncanyon

ELAC DDP-2 as roon endpoint and Preamp (also for analog devices, TV, Omtec turntable amp for my Thorens TD2001)

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

RME ADI 2 DAC Fs DAC/Pre with ADAM Artist5 at PC setup

Grado GH-1 Headphone

Besides the NAS and Raid setup, you might want to consider a true backup system. Typically, this implies keeping a copy of your music files offsite (e.g. work, neighbors house, bank, etc.). This approach is to guard against theft (i.e. someone steals your NAS, your files are gone, gone, gone) or disaster such as fire.

In my case, I have a portable USB drive connected to my NAS. A backup program on the NAS runs once a week to the USB drive. I keep a second copy of the USB drive at work and then swap out the USB drives every month or so. So in worse case, I lose a month's worth of files.

Additionally, when I rip a CD or download music, the files get written to yet another external USB drive before copying the files to my NAS. So, I have four copies of my music files. With storage being relative cheap these days, why not?

I don't run a Raid system. I would rather spend the money of the external drives. If my NAS crashes, then I can restore it. Sure, it might take a few days but I still have my files. I view Raid systems for cases where instant recovery is required, which in my case it is not.

Just my 2 cents.

Eric,

I did add another 4TB drive to my 4 bay NAS for the purpose of backing up my music, photos and the such. My collection is quite small at the moment (200 cds or so). It will grow fast with Roon/Tidal I suspect. I do have an external Lacie I can use till the library grows. My iMac hd crashed and was not recoverable so I'm glad all our photos were on the Lacie. Good idea to have a drive stored off site. Thanks

Eric,

I did add another 4TB drive to my 4 bay NAS for the purpose of backing up my music, photos and the such. My collection is quite small at the moment (200 cds or so). It will grow fast with Roon/Tidal I suspect. I do have an external Lacie I can use till the library grows. My iMac hd crashed and was not recoverable so I'm glad all our photos were on the Lacie. Good idea to have a drive stored off site. Thanks

I use a 2TB version of these as backup. For less than $100 each, fairly cheap protection:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Passport-Ultra-Portable-External/dp/B00W8XXYSM

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking about a system like this myself. Can you give me an update on how this is working for you? How is the responsiveness? Does ROON update its' library reliably off new music added to the NAS? Any delays or drop outs? How is the ease of use, set up? Thanks.

Hey dec, so far its been stellar. Computer audio is new to me so there was quite a learning curve in setting up a new router, NAS with drives, microRendu and configuring it all. Is it worth it? Hell yeah! As quick as I ripped each of my cds they appeared on my NAS and were available for listening. I love exploring music I haven't gotten around to or missed along the way. Van Morrison Astral Weeks is playing right now. Oh yeah the sound is excellent. Just got my order in for an Uptone Ultracap LS1 an hour ago to power the Rendu and when I can I plan to add Pass Labs XP20 pre to my system. That aught to keep me busy (and licking my wounds) for a while. There were a few hiccups initially with some cover art not showing up or searches not producing results but it seems to be smooth sailing now. Gonna go get acquainted with Dave Matthews for a bit! Peace