IGNORED

Marantz A + B speakers

musicbuff

I have a Marantz PM11S3 integrated amp which has the capability of playing:

A speakers

B speakers

A and B speakers

I have a pair of Monitor Audio RX-6 and Gold 300 speakers, both 8 Ohms. I'm thinking of using bi-wire speaker cables on the Gold 300's. Each cable has 4 banana plugs at the speaker end (Hi-left, right & Lo-left right) with 2 banana plugs at amp end for left, right A speaker terminals.

If I use regular speaker cable on the RX-6's (using the gold shorting bar) and connect them to the B speaker terminals on the amp will it be safe to play all 4 speakers at the same time - (A AND B)?

The reason I'm asking is I'd like to use all 4 speakers when watching movies with the Direct Mode feature of the Marantz. Would it be safer to connect only the Gold 300's to the Marantz and the RX-6's to the AVR as surround speakers? The last thing I want to do is blow something. Thanks for the input.

Based on the information shown in the attached table, which was taken from the PM-11S3 owners manual, it looks like you should be able to use both sets of speakers at the same time. If you are still uncertain, you should probably contact your dealer or Marantz support.

pm-11s3-speaker-connections.jpg

On the Marantz's back panel the "P. Direct In" is connected to my AVR's "BD/DVD audio in" by an RCA cable. When I want to use speakers connected to the Marantz as front speakers for the AVR I push the "P. Direct In" button on the Marantz's front panel. This allows the speakers to the Marantz to become the front speakers for the AVR's surround sound system. In retrospect that would throw the movie soundstage off using 4 instead of 2 speakers as the fronts for a movie. Guess I'll just choose "A speakers" when movie watching. But I wonder what kind of sound stage using all 4 speakers would produce for music listening. Wide? Weird?

I have a Marantz PM11S3 integrated amp which has the capability of playing:

A speakers

B speakers

A and B speakers

I have a pair of Monitor Audio RX-6 and Gold 300 speakers, both 8 Ohms. I'm thinking of using bi-wire speaker cables on the Gold 300's. Each cable has 4 banana plugs at the speaker end (Hi-left, right & Lo-left right) with 2 banana plugs at amp end for left, right A speaker terminals.

If I use regular speaker cable on the RX-6's (using the gold shorting bar) and connect them to the B speaker terminals on the amp will it be safe to play all 4 speakers at the same time - (A AND B)?

The reason I'm asking is I'd like to use all 4 speakers when watching movies with the Direct Mode feature of the Marantz. Would it be safer to connect only the Gold 300's to the Marantz and the RX-6's to the AVR as surround speakers? The last thing I want to do is blow something. Thanks for the input.

The biwire speaker cables have nothing to do with this issue. Just treat it like a regular speaker cable. The real issue is the amp. I really don't see a benefit for using both pairs of speakers with your amp, especially if you are watching movies. At higher volumes, you'll most certainty be straining the amp. If your amp power ratings are at least 4 ohms, and preferably 2 ohms (with actual figures for watts), its probably not the right amp to do what with. It will probably sound much better with just 1 pair of speakers driven properly.

Using the speakers as surrounds will only make sense if they are actually positioned behind you and both pairs of speakers are run through the same processing. The 300's will be reproducing all of the soundtrack in stereo, while the AVR will be processing the signal just for the rear channels. If you want surround, the most sensible fix would be to use the AVR for both pairs. The 300's in the front set to a phantom center channel, and the 6's for surround.

Sure, using P. Direct In means your PM-11S1 is turned into a stereo-power-amp for your AVR's Pre Out signals :

i.jpg

Of loudspeakers, too many (and incorrectly placed/matched/unused) in a listening-room are detrimental to achieving quality sound ?

Recalling this as a visual example for members for comment :

4-ch_DSC_0374_r.jpg

Incidentally, on page 6 (pdf page 8) of ITU's Multichannel stereophonic sound system with and without accompanying picture provides a speakers placement recommendation for Two-channel stereo plus 2 surround

On the Marantz's back panel the "P. Direct In" is connected to my AVR's "BD/DVD audio in" by an RCA cable. When I want to use speakers connected to the Marantz as front speakers for the AVR I push the "P. Direct In" button on the Marantz's front panel. This allows the speakers to the Marantz to become the front speakers for the AVR's surround sound system. In retrospect that would throw the movie soundstage off using 4 instead of 2 speakers as the fronts for a movie. Guess I'll just choose "A speakers" when movie watching. But I wonder what kind of sound stage using all 4 speakers would produce for music listening. Wide? Weird?

Although both your sets are by Monitor Audio, if they're used at-the-same-time, there'd be some audio-smearing due to them being different models.

I have a pair of Monitor Audio RX-6 and Gold 300 speakers, both 8 Ohms.

RX6 listed as Nominal Impedance 6 Ohms ; Gold 300, 8 Ohms

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

From lfs's post looks like the Marantz can run A&B speakers if all speakers are 8 Ohms, but only AorB speakers if the speakers are 4 Ohms. The RX-6's need 60 - 150 watts while the Gold 300's need 100 - 200. At 8 Ohms I guess the Marantz would be a bit stressed trying to run both pairs. From Marantz's own website:

"Rated at 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms, the PM-11S3 features an extremely robust power supply and comparably rugged power amplifier output stages that together provide incredible low impedance drive capability, with a power output of 200 watts per channel into 4 ohms, easily able to drive virtually any audiophile loudspeaker with stability and utmost fidelity."

I'm thinking the best solution would be to follow 17629v2's recommendation and connect only the 300's to the Marantz (then I can enjoy pure 2 channel stereo) and connect the RX-6's to the AVR as surrounds.

From lfs's post looks like the Marantz can run A&B speakers if all speakers are 8 Ohms, but only AorB speakers if the speakers are 4 Ohms. The RX-6's need 60 - 150 watts while the Gold 300's need 100 - 200. At 8 Ohms I guess the Marantz would be a bit stressed trying to run both pairs. From Marantz's own website:

"Rated at 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms, the PM-11S3 features an extremely robust power supply and comparably rugged power amplifier output stages that together provide incredible low impedance drive capability, with a power output of 200 watts per channel into 4 ohms, easily able to drive virtually any audiophile loudspeaker with stability and utmost fidelity."

I'm thinking the best solution would be to follow 17629v2's recommendation and connect only the 300's to the Marantz (then I can enjoy pure 2 channel stereo) and connect the RX-6's to the AVR as surrounds.

Just to clarify, I said to use both pairs with your AV receiver if you want surround. If not, it will probably sound messed up because the fronts will be getting the entire soundtrack in stereo and the rears will be getting just the surround info. You'll end up having surround info coming out of your front speakers because the 11S3 can't separate and direct what goes where like an HT preamp can.

Another thing I should have mentioned in my last post, is regarding both pairs of speakers are rated for 8 ohms. That doesn't tell the whole story. The 8 ohm rating is just an average. Ohm's (resistance) varies depending on frequency. You can have one 8 ohm speaker that dips down to 2 ohms, and another that dips down to 4 ohms. Something like that can be a very big difference. The less resistance, the harder the amp has to work. Under ideal circumstances, your 100 watts at 8 ohms should be 200 at 4 ohms and 400 watts at 2 ohms. Very few amps have the ability to keep doubling the power as resistance halves. So that's why you need to be careful. Its much more dangerous to under power a pair of speakers than it is to overpower them. You have some nice equipment, I wouldn't take any chances with it.