IGNORED

Computer Audio Novice

It's been a month since my first post here in the quest for a better music solution. Since that initial post I've solved two of my immediate problems.

Problem (1) Configure an easy to play computer-based audio system that my wife can use.

Solution: Added a Pluglink-based CAT5 hardwire from my office Macmini to an Airport Express located adjacent to my home stereo system. The system delivers iTunes-based music over the Pluglink and is controlled by my wife's iPad Mini running Remote over WiFi. It fills the space to her satisfaction and is "Good Enough."

Problem (2) Clean up the sound in my iPhone-based system.

Solution: Principally solved by addition of an AudioQuest Dragonfly Red while wearing either Sennheiser 280 280 Pros or Etymotic ER4s. Playing either Onkyo or the iPhone Music app, the music is much better than without the Dragonfly. Definitely recommended. Note, however, that this combination is definitely a battery hog! Anyone running this combination will need to add the Apple Camera Adapter with Lightning power adapter if they want to avoid draining the battery. 6+ hours of continuous play leaves me with about 30% of my battery left on my iPhone 6.

Problem (3) is to setup a better sounding home office system and remains to be solved.

Since purchasing the Dragonfly, I've used it on my laptop and found that it does deliver a far more open sound that on the iPhone. Adding JRiver Media Center to the solution improves the experience even further. Ultimately, however, I believe I'm headed towards a speaker-based system as I currently spend about 6-hours a day at work in headphones cancelling out the office Muzak. At this point the laptop (MacBook Pro) now outputs JRiver controlled music through the Dragonfly and to circa 1990s Altec Lansing computer speakers (Model ADA 215). As a result, there's lots of room for improvement. I do have a set of Warfdale speakers that haven't been powered in 10 years, and which were built in the late 60. As suggested, it's probably not worth considering reanimating them.

So the question is, what's a recommendation for a "reasonable" upgrade of the laptop-based system that delivers better sound than presently, while not breaking the bank?

Thanks again for the recommendations of everyone in the community that have helped me get this far.

Art

• 2 weeks later...

So... Thinking on replacing my current desktop speakers (crica 1990s Altair Lansing generic). Audioengine A2+ and A5+ have been mentioned warmly across the CA domain, as well as other speakers at multiple price points higher.

What's the consensus regarding their (Audioengine A2+ and A5+) use on the desktop? The expected audio train is a 2010 Mac Book Pro (1TB SSD drive, 16GB RAM), one of the Mac compatible music servers, AudioQuest DragonFly Red DAC, and direct to speakers.

I'm still satisfied with the AudioQuest DragonFly Red DAC and have been "demoing" JRiver Media Center, Audirvana, and Pure Music. All are good and have their Pros and Cons. Unfortunately, JRiver has proven to be unstable on my rather generic system, whereas both Pure Music and Audirvana work very nicely with excellent sound indeed! I'll push Pure Music with headphones all day tomorrow for the rest of the comparison. Files are either AIFF or iTunes download AAC at 256kbps.

Thanks!