IGNORED

Trolls

I'm curious why this was posted in the "Music in General" forum instead of somewhere like the "General" forum where it would likely be far more applicable?

That would be my bad, I thought I posted it into the General forum, but obviously, I slipped up. If Chris want's to move it to a more appropriate forum, I have no problems with that.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

This is not necessarily true. For example, Ben Franklin authored Poor Richard's Almanack under the pseudonym "Richard Saunders".

Nice catch! It seems like Ben might have been acting like a troll as the early editions of Poor Richard's Almanack predicted and falsely reported the deaths of three astrologers — much to their dismay. Apparently, over time, he softened the tone to just making fun.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Nice catch! It seems like Ben might have been acting like a troll as the early editions of Poor Richard's Almanack predicted and falsely reported the deaths of three astrologers — much to their dismay. Apparently, over time, he softened the tone to just making fun.

This was also from a time when you might very likely have to face those who you've attacked. As we used to say in the hood,

Don't let your mouth write a check that your butt can't cash. ;)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

As well as the Framer's of the Constitution in the Federalist Papers as well as Jefferson as well as Adams and on and on

Are you talking about the Stamp Act? That definitely put a chill on people publishing loud opinions, because the Stamp Tax was at least a minor barrier to anonymous publications in pre-revolutionary America. And through out our entire history, there have been loads of "banned" books and publications, most of while enjoyed increased sales due to their notoriety.

The Internet has opened the floodgates to anonymous people, though only rarely is anyone capable of actually hiding their identity from a determined effort to find them. We also have groups of writers posing as a single person for continuity. People are becoming less and less responsible for what they say or write these days.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

This was also from a time when you might very likely have to face those who you've attacked. As we used to say in the hood,

Don't let your mouth write a check that your butt can't cash. ;)

Sal, from the picture in your avatar, I for one, would be letting your mouth write a lot of checks... ;-) Sorry, bad motorcycle joke.

On a more serious side, just how important do you think the web's anonymity is in enabling behaviour that people would never try face-to-face?

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Are you talking about the Stamp Act? That definitely put a chill on people publishing loud opinions, because the Stamp Tax was at least a minor barrier to anonymous publications in pre-revolutionary America. And through out our entire history, there have been loads of "banned" books and publications, most of while enjoyed increased sales due to their notoriety.

The Internet has opened the floodgates to anonymous people, though only rarely is anyone capable of actually hiding their identity from a determined effort to find them. We also have groups of writers posing as a single person for continuity. People are becoming less and less responsible for what they say or write these days.

-Paul

Like I said from the beginning our Framers and Founders published anonymously or with pseudonyms such as Publius and there was no shortage of vitriol and "trolling". Nothing to do with the Stamp Act. Differing views of contentious issues.

Online DisInhibitation in play?

What gives us the right to get all hot and bothered about someone saying something we may not agree with on the internet?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Its your right to get angry at anything you want. If you take an angry stand on any position, some people are going to be angry that you took that position. If you go calm on the same issue, some people will get mad because you didn't get mad.

Its your right to get angry at anything you want. If you take an angry stand on any position, some people are going to be angry that you took that position. If you go calm on the same issue, some people will get mad because you didn't get mad.

Not sure getting angry is a "right" to be honest. It is sometimes justifiable, but most often, it is only a self defeating behavior.

Most people, by about the time they are five or six, have figured this out and do their level best to hold their temper and reasons things out. I do think the internet has nullified that damping effect to some degree or another.

Robert A. Heinlein

Like I said from the beginning our Framers and Founders published anonymously or with pseudonyms such as Publius and there was no shortage of vitriol and "trolling". Nothing to do with the Stamp Act. Differing views of contentious issues.

I think you vastly over-estimate just how anonymous those "anonymous" publications actually were in revolutionary times. There was just a thin skin of fiction over the identity of most of the writers.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

On a more serious side, just how important do you think the web's anonymity is in enabling behaviour that people would never try face-to-face?

The 'web' is less anonymous now than it has been since it emerged from academia due in large part to main-stream adoption of social media and 24x7 connectivity. Classic trolling is certainly nothing new, but with people making more and more personal information available on-line, crossing the line between virtual lives and real lives with the seriously nasty real life stuff like DOXXing and swatting has become far more viable.

Regardless, much of what gets classified as trolling now (and even banned by major web entities) is just provocative and/or differing opinions paired with the vitriolic "us vs. them" mentality continuously stoked by the media, which is great for TV ratings and page views, but highly toxic for any sort of constructive public or even human to human discourse.

Having participated in and witnessed the heady days of the Internet during the 90's, it is sad to witness the rapid deterioration of "The Information Age" that has only accelerated since 2007 when a 24x7 connected smart phone in everyone's back pocket became de rigueur. However, as it is with anything throughout human history, the event or series of events that triggers a correction is inevitable.

"Most people, by about the time they are five or six, have figured this out and do their level best to hold their temper and reasons things out."

You don't live in the US, do you? Over here most adults do their best reasoning when they act like they're 5 or 6 years old.

Not sure getting angry is a "right" to be honest. It is sometimes justifiable, but most often, it is only a self defeating behavior.

Most people, by about the time they are five or six, have figured this out and do their level best to hold their temper and reasons things out. I do think the internet has nullified that damping effect to some degree or another.

Everyone has the right to feel what they feel. That's part of the human experience. But it's also a part of the human experience to learn how to properly direct that energy.

If I am anything, I am a music lover and a pragmatist.

I think you vastly over-estimate just how anonymous those "anonymous" publications actually were in revolutionary times. There was just a thin skin of fiction over the identity of most of the writers.

-Paul

It's clear you lack the knowledge of those times so I wouldn't argue this one

It's clear you lack the knowledge of those times so I wouldn't argue this one

I do not intend to argue with you - you may certainly believe anything you wish. That does not make it either true or reflect on my own knowledge of the subject however.

Have a nice afternoon.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

I do not intend to argue with you - you may certainly believe anything you wish. That does not make it either true or reflect on my own knowledge of the subject however.

Have a nice afternoon.

-Paul

Sorry it's not a belief it's called "knowledge" so therefore it is true.

Sorry it's not a belief it's called "knowledge" so therefore it is true.

Seriously, do you think all "knowledge" (yes, let's place it in quotes) is black or white, true or false?

There is partial knowledge, interpreted knowledge, unclear knowledge, changeable knowledge -- which is often what the knowledge of history is.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Seriously, do you think all "knowledge" (yes, let's place it in quotes) is black or white, true or false?

There is partial knowledge, interpreted knowledge, unclear knowledge, changeable knowledge -- which is often what the knowledge of history is.

At risk of an epistemological non-sequetor, I just ordered an Athena triple groupset for the Bianchi.

IMO generally it has everything to do with it. I'd also venture a guess that those that make the most nasty of verbal attacks are the smallest in physical stature, saying things to people that they would never have had the guts to do face to face. They already had their butts kicked numerous times when young and now see a chance to get even hiding behind a keyboard. ;)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Sal, from the picture in your avatar, I for one, would be letting your mouth write a lot of checks... ;-) Sorry, bad motorcycle joke.

Come-on. Everyone knows the camera puts on at least 25 lbs. LOL