IGNORED

Head Unit potential ....

hello folks,I've just joined as I'm having another mid-life crisis and this time its SQ rather than motorbikes!I'm waiting for delivery of RPi's and a RaspyPlay DAC but my first misstep in this field has been to install a good quality head unit in the back of my van - the DEH-80PRS. It's great - it has a builtin-in DSP and AutoEq/TA/Crossover. But ....I really want to use it as an amp and use the Volumio app to pump music through it.unfortunately the only input to the HU is dual RCA's. Fine for the amp part but I really want to retain the goodness of the DSP. I imagine that the analogue input precludes that. So my thought is to get at the innards - I don't need the CD drive and my understanding is that a drive will be connected into a system via S/PDIF which sounds good to my naive intellect, because I'd like to hi-jack that input and pipe in a digital signal.Can anyone familiar with S/PDIF, clocks and digital communication suggest any pitfalls that may lie in wait?

Most people here fix a cocktail and pay someone else to turn a screwdriver for them.

But welcome, and good luck!

I think you are correct that the DSP is going to get bypassed with the analogue in, unless you use an ADC. It might be that is the simplest way forward.