IGNORED

Dells' version of the Mac Mini?

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

that is pretty cool!

1. Watch movies with HDMI and optional Blu-ray DiscTM Drive

2. up to 8GB memory

3. up to 1TB2 hard drive

4. usb and e-sata i/o nice

5. 32 bit or 64 bit

5. and it starts under 300 bucks!

I just went through the customize area and you can get a bunch of audiophile type features for under 700 bucks. I was tempted and did add the bluray type features, but that is probably not a great idea for audio playback do to the heat factor.

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

edit:

I just went through the customize area and you can get a bunch of audiophile type features for under 600 bucks. This time I added a 1tb drive and dropped all the bluray related stuff.

JR,

Completely tricked out as you describe above - it costs $1048 - windows 7 ultimate, dual core processor upgrade $110 (still slower than Mini), Blu-ray for $100, 1Tb disk for $150, 8 GB Ram for $169, video card upgrade $75, hi def audio upgrade $25, and 802.11N wireless for $40.

Price drops to $928 when you scale back to cheapest 64bit Home version of Windows.

Admittedly exciting for non-Mac computer users, but not exactly 'eat your heart out, Mac Mini'. :)

I'll go even lower than your mid $700 price - a reasonable priced minimum configuration machine can be had in the mid-500$ range - as I reported in the earlier thread about the Zino here.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Dells-new-Zino-HD-Mac-Mini-still-best

FWIW, I'd recommend (to you and your customers) to get the smallest HD option, and replace with an SSD - AND keep music files on an external disk.

NOTE: It does not support Firewire, which is a significant shortcoming for those who want the best audio, as you're limited to Async USB, since it also doesn't support Lynx card, unless you think you can shoehorn a Lynx card in there somehow? :)

cheers,

clay

PS, it IS pretty cool!

tricks are for kids...hehehe. I didn't say I picked the best of all the options. I opted for a single core (call me silly but I like them better) and the smaller drive, because I would have used external (usb or e-sata) or network. I also like the home versions and not the pro and ultimate versions. I should have posted the specs, but I wanted to leave that up to other to have fun with it:)

I also wanted to add that the hdmi output (depending on the version) could also be a beginners or intermediate choice for computer audio feed directly into a receiver or processor. It should satisfy the curious and those not ready for the next step.

To bad on firewire, but you can't go wrong with plenty of usbs and hdmi.

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

machinehead asked... "[is the Zino] Dell's version of the Mac Mini?"

I would say no ... only Apple can produce the Mac Mini because the Mac Mini is mostly about getting OS X, and only a little about getting the compact, almost silent hardware. Anyway Dell already had a Mac Mini alternative in the Studio Hybrid - which is still a lot closer.

Having said that - the Zino do look like they would make wonderful Media Centre PCs running Linux and XMBC, no not all bad and a great alternative to the Apple TV.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

very clever to compare the a pc from dell to the apple tv. PS I was never impressed with the apple tv:) It show your biase and unwilling to help other that are looking for alternatives. It's not about the people that would buy a mini or apple tv they have their own posts. It's 64 bit, has a ton of ram, large hdd, has usb output and is worth trying out. I can't wait to hear what people who actually use it will say and I can also wait till then to make up my mind.

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

Jr, I love you man, but...

"It show your biase and unwilling to help other that are looking for alternatives."

Eloise is the least likely person (on CA) to be accused of bias. As far as I know, she runs her computer audio system on a PC. ;)

As for me, yes, I'll freely admit that I believe Mac OS X is better than winDOHs for computer audio in the majority of instances.

"It's not about the people that would buy a mini or apple tv they have their own posts."

I don't recall the 'legal' term, but... surely you've watched enough court-room TV to know that if you present something to the jury (witness, evidence, etc.), that the opposition is allowed to rebut.

Said another way, without the comparisons to the Mac Mini (in the opening post, and by yourself - "Mac Mini, eat your heart out"), I'd not even have read this post, or be posting in it. But once the comparison is made, you're inviting those who disagree into the conversation, as far as I'm concerned.

Here's an example:

Once upon a time someone started a thread here with the title Mac Mini Busted - you probably remember it. ;) Actually the thread was intended to be about a completely different device....and then the poster seemed to wonder why people came to the Mini's defense. :0

So,,, sorta like that.

all the best,

clay

My point about the Zino (and I was actually really referring to the Zino not the Zino HD) is that it's not a full-powered PC, it's more akin to the Asus Nettop - basically a Netbook for the desktop. That doesn't mean it won't work well as a music server or even as (I commented) a XBMC Media Center (running Linux especially).

I was not trying to display any bias towards Apple, just intending to express this in my original post.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

The mac mini is indeed great and I have no real problem supporting it not that it needs my help. However, comparing the Dell to an apple tv seems a bit like strange love for all thing apple.

In regards to "Mac Mini, eat your heart out" and Mac Mini Busted. Wow those were fun times and how to begin to explain that! Well those were different times:) For a company (apple) with such an advantage it and it's followers always seem to be so protective. The hdx was a clear underdog and without a catchy title would have died in no time flat. That is not to say that the hdx could not hold its own, but it does not have a cult following in this forum. They were just titles to get people to listen and think outside of the box. More to my point that we need alternatives as the one shoe does not fit all members.

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

I wasn't comparing the Dell to the Apple TV ... I was comparing the Dell running

Eloise

---

I have ordered one last week, especially to serve as music server, but have not even received an order confirmation (I am living in Belgium allthough this should not make a hugh difference ???).

As soon as I have received it and up-and-runnign, I will give some feedback

Dirk