IGNORED

Debussy – complete solo Piano music – 1/2 price

Noriko Ogawa is a superb Debussy pianist.

eClassical is bundling her 6 albums of Debussy's solo piano music, totaling 7+ hours, for $44, which is about half the price the albums would total individually.

http://www.eclassical.com/labels/bis/debussy-the-solo-piano-works-1.html

(However, I do not recommend her recent Satie album.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Noriko Ogawa is a superb Debussy pianist.

eClassical is bundling her 6 albums of Debussy's solo piano music, totaling 7+ hours, for $44, which is about half the price the albums would total individually.

eClassical - Debussy – The Solo Piano Works

(However, I do not recommend her recent Satie album.)

For these works, I also recommend not buying on price alone. I buy for performance, sound quality and experience of pianist of these works.

From 2006 -2009, Jean-Efflam Bavouzet recorded the complete works for Chandos in 24/96 PCM, downloadable from here.:

Truly wonderful works, as I have all 5 volumes in 24/96 PCM. It doesn't get any better than these.

I was also going to ask how Ogawa compares to Bavouzet, big fan here as well.

(FYI here's my review of the Bavouzet (https://musicophilesblog.com/2015/07/26/321/).

Although I must admit thanks to somebody here on the forum (can't remember who) who posted this, I'll never be able to think of Debussy normally any more:

[video=youtube;UKO-ebWS4Ko]

I haven't heard the Bavouzet, but I have four volumes of the Ogawa and will go so far as to say that they are much better than the Mitsuko Uchida recording of the Etudes, the Krystian Zimerman of the Preludes, and the two Kocsis discs from the '80's (all highly acclaimed when they came out), both in performance and in sound.

I haven't heard the Bavouzet, but I have four volumes of the Ogawa and will go so far as to say that they are much better than the Mitsuko Uchida recording of the Etudes, the Krystian Zimerman of the Preludes, and the two Kocsis discs from the '80's (all highly acclaimed when they came out), both in performance and in sound.

I love the Uchida Etudes and the two Kocsis albums. I will have to take a look at this set.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Just an FYI. Presto Classical has the 6 CD set for $32.50 USD.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I remember that the old reference set of complete Debussy piano music was by Walter Gieseking, recorded in the '50's IIRC. It was reissued on SACD (mono 24/96) a few years ago by Warner EMI. Any comparisons with him?

The only time I heard Pollini live was almost 30 years ago at the (one and only time we went to the) 1987 Salzburg Festival. He played the complete Debussy Etudes. I saw he did record them, but it doesn't look like he did the complete Debussy piano works.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files