IGNORED

New launch - SPDIF iPurifier

16 minutes ago, mikey8811 said:

I wouldn't mind getting one to try between an old Micromega CD transport and DAC.

If there is anyone here, who has no need for their SPDIF iPurifier and wishes to sell it at areasonable price, please let me know.

Thanks

I've been people selling them from time to time here and also on the Roon forum.  I just ordered a second one :-)  You could always get one from Amazon and return it if you are not satisfied.

On 10/18/2016 at 4:16 AM, AMR/iFi audio said:

We cannot (by company policy as much as by not having all possible products in house) comment on specific setups. However if it works normally, there is no reason why it should not work with the iPurifier SPDIF in line.

However, in order to get a benefit from the iPurifier SPDIF a few conditions need to be met.

1) The DAC needs to be of a design that does not feature built-in dedicated Jitter Rejection by means other than ASRC (DAC's with ASRC will benefit from iPurifier SPDIF).

This means for example the iFi Retro and/or iDSD micro will show little or no benefit fom the iPurifier SPDIF.

On the other hand any DAC using generic PLL based SPDIF Receiver Chips (e.g. AKM, Cirrus Logic, Texas Instruments, On-Semi/Sanyo, ST-Micro, Yamaha) without a secondary precision PLL will benefit, the more the worse the source is, as these receivers generally have no suppression of source jitter in the audible range.

2) The source must have appreciable levels of jitter and/or signal degradation. If the source is essentially a "perfect" source with low jitter and good waveform connected with a short (1m or less) and high quality cable, there is not a lot the iPurifier SPDIF can improve.

3) Another area of improvement is possible in systems where both source and DAC have SPDIF inputs without galvanic isolation. In this case the iPurifier SPDIF will provide this isolation and break ground loops that can raise the system noisefloor.

Now in your system above you list the iDSD nano as source.

The SPDIF Signal in the iDSD nano comes through a circuit including re-clocking and signal conditioning that is very similar to the iPurifier SPDIF and has clocks of very similar quality. In other words the SPDIF signal is already very low jitter and of great quality, in effect very similar to what would come out of the iPurifier SPDIF.

Unless your cable severely worsens the waveform and jitter of the signal, the only benefit the iPurfier SPDIF could bring would be galvanic isolation (which the iDSD nano SPDIF output lacks), if this is not already build into the DAC.

OK I checked.

1) My DAC doesn’t use ASRC.

2) I am sure my source isn't a "perfect" source as it is a pretty old CD transport.

3) For the S/PDIF input the grounds on the S/PDIF signal are connected though the signal is DC isolated. 

For the XLR inputs the signals are DC isolated but the ground is connected. 

The manufacturer says that an isolator that isolates the grounds as well as the signals may indeed help if the system as a whole has a groundloop problem caused in part by the interconnects.

So, in your view would this setup benefit from an SPDIF iPurifier?

1 hour ago, mikey8811 said:

So, in your view would this setup benefit from an SPDIF iPurifier?

It seems to be very much dependent on the DAC. It seems to me that a good quality DAC will inherently do what the iPurifier does - reclock the signal. Like the Wired4Sound Remedy, it is at its best with cheaper DACs, where there is more room for improvement. As I mentioned previously, I have found it to cause significant problems with certain DACs. The only way you are going to know is to try it with your existing setup. I think the suggestion above, that you buy through Amazon so that you can return it, is a good one.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

I've hooked mine up between a gen3 apple TV and a Cambridge Audio 551r receiver, optical > spdif. Makes a decent increase in performance with no downside. Pretty happy with it. 

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

• 3 weeks later...

Having just bought the KEF LS50 wireless, and about to buy a Bluesound Node 2. Do you guys think I'd see much of a gain in sound quality from fitting a iFi S/PDIF iPurifier to the kefs and feeding it from the Node 2? Or is this a waste of money as I read the Kefs re-clock the optical in signal anyway? Is that correct?

2 hours ago, scooboo81 said:

Having just bought the KEF LS50 wireless, and about to buy a Bluesound Node 2. Do you guys think I'd see much of a gain in sound quality from fitting a iFi S/PDIF iPurifier to the kefs and feeding it from the Node 2? Or is this a waste of money as I read the Kefs re-clock the optical in signal anyway? Is that correct?

I don’t know about the Node 2 but there was a significant difference from my Samsung TV. Where did you see that the Kefs reclock the signal?

3 hours ago, scooboo81 said:

They are networked speakers. When Kef finally update the software surely it will do everything you need to stream from a pc/nas and services like tidal that's already available.

32 minutes ago, bunno77 said:

They are networked speakers. When Kef finally update the software surely it will do everything you need to stream from a pc/nas and services like tidal that's already available.

That's not the issue.  it's a matter of does the optical connection from the Node 2 to the Kef optical need cleanup.

Just now, scooboo81 said:

I'm sure I read that on the KEF website.

I looked and didn't;t see it anywhere but their site is kind of disorganized.

It sure made a difference from my TV.  Perhaps you could the purifier from some place you can return it if it doesn't work for you?  I got mine from Amazon.  For me its' a must have.

7 minutes ago, DarwinOSX said:

I looked and didn't;t see it anywhere but their site is kind of disorganized.

It sure made a difference from my TV.  Perhaps you could the purifier from some place you can return it if it doesn't work for you?  I got mine from Amazon.  For me its' a must have.

Will give it a go then...cheers

16 hours ago, DarwinOSX said:

That's not the issue.  it's a matter of does the optical connection from the Node 2 to the Kef optical need cleanup.

Ideally you wouldn't use optical from node. Better for it to be networked.

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hello young chaps @AMR/iFi audio

For those of us that like to get silly with external PSU’s , can the SPDIF iPurifier take 7.5 Vdc (a linear PSU)?

Or is it stricly just 5 Vdc allowed?

Please see here:

http://support.ifi-audio.com/kb/faq.php?id=669

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

I just ordered a miniDSP DDRC-22D, which is a 24/96 high resolution Dirac Live processor, all in the digital domain.

My digital sources (Chromecast Audio & Oppo BDP) will be fed into the 22D and then the 22D will plug into my current Cambridge DACMagic + (soon to be LH Labs Vi DAC Tube - if it ever ships) DAC via coax digital.

What is the best use of SPDIF iPurifiers in this system? In front of the 22D AND in front of the DAC?

I was thinking for sure that I'd use one between the Chromecast Audio and the miniDSP 22D, not sure if it would be required from the coax out of the Oppo into the miniDSP? How about from the miniDSP into the DAC?

On 5.12.2017 at 6:14 PM, Nick-V said:

I just ordered a miniDSP DDRC-22D, which is a 24/96 high resolution Dirac Live processor, all in the digital domain.

My digital sources (Chromecast Audio & Oppo BDP) will be fed into the 22D and then the 22D will plug into my current Cambridge DACMagic + (soon to be LH Labs Vi DAC Tube - if it ever ships) DAC via coax digital.

What is the best use of SPDIF iPurifiers in this system? In front of the 22D AND in front of the DAC?

I was thinking for sure that I'd use one between the Chromecast Audio and the miniDSP 22D, not sure if it would be required from the coax out of the Oppo into the miniDSP? How about from the miniDSP into the DAC?

The proposed DSP system operates using asynchronous sample rate conversion (ASRC), is limited to fixed 32 bit / 96 kHz processing. Equally, the proposed DAC (LH Labs) operates internally using ASRC. 

As such, the chain defeats the whole point of the S/PDIF iPurifier which is to de-jitter transparently with the original data unaltered twice. We can't recommend or suggest any use of the S/PDIF iPurifier in this system.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

• 9 months later...

A question about the galvanic isolation. Where is the galvanic isolation located and how is the 5V input isolated? I ask because I wonder where I should plug in the iPower. On the PC/input side or on the Amp/output side or doesn't it matter to isolate the PC from the Amplifier?

• 8 months later...

old thread I know but any one using this SPDIF ipurifier experienced slight static/crackling every so often when signal is present (watching TV) stops when I pause the DVR or pause node2 output.

I just installed it 6 pm yesterday..(Ethernet) Tidal in between tracks are fine afaik but only tried so far under 10 mins, then switched inputs to watch TV. Also watched a movie, player hdmi out to TV and didnt notice any crackling at all for ~75 mins. TV youtube app also didn't seem to trigger it.

My digital setup:

Arris/xfinity x1 DVR Hdmi out to TV Optical out to DEQ2496 Optical out to Node2 coax out to ipurifier into coax jack of Mojo audio mystique v3 DAC..

Or any ideas? If it continues, I'll try it between the 2496 optical cable into the node2's optical jack.