IGNORED

New launch - SPDIF iPurifier

I have exactly the same problem using a Micromega MyDAC. I contacted iFi support and they responded as follows:

I can't see the point in getting into a bunfight with tech support, so, since there is more than one of us with this problem I will deal with it here.

- It is not due to "something on the source side", because the IPurifier does it even when the input cable is unplugged.

- It does seem to have something to do with the DAC. It doesn't happen when I substitute a $50 no-name DAC, but the sound quality is nowhere near as good either.

- It definitely has something to do with the output of the iPurifier, since the MyDAC and presumably the Oppo, work fine when the iPurifier is not part of the chain.

-The IPurifier can be reset. If the power to the iPurifier is disconnected, then re-connected, the iPurifier remains silent until it gets some audio input. If the audio input is then interrupted, the noise starts again.

It is impossible to listen comfortably with the Tidal app as that generates a gap between each track, causing a burst of noise. To use Tidal, I have to bring up the Tidal web page in the Chrome browser and cast the tab to the Chromecast. As long as the tab is being cast, there is no unwanted noise from the iPurifier.

At this stage, I would normally chalk it up to experience and throw the iPurifier away. The problem is that when it IS playing music, the combination of the Chromecast Audio and the iPurifier sounds simply sublime. I would even consider getting a new DAC if I could find a reasonable quality one that was known to be compatible with the iPurifier. Anyone know of such a beast?

-

Thanks for the heads up, will hold off purchasing this for now.

Thanks for the heads up, will hold off purchasing this for now.

I hate to put anyone off purchasing it, because it is a killer enhancement for the Chromecast when it is actually playing music. The question seems to be "Do you have a DAC which is compatible with it?" I am right now in the process of investigating a Maverick D1 DAC, as amadeogt confirms that this seems to play nice with the iPurifier.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

For a good quality asynchronous USB to SPDIF converter with isolated outputs (e.g. like our own iLink), there is no benefit using the iPurifier SPDIF, as long as the SPDIF is short and of good quality (in the electrical sense, not all expensive audiophile cables apply).

The iPurifier SPDIF may improve the situation with asynchronous USB to SPDIF converters in two specific cases.

The first is if a very long SPDIF cable is used, by simply restoring signal quality and signal integrity, the second is by adding galvanic isolation in systems where the asynchronous USB to SPDIF converter does not include galvanically isolated outputs.

I have had one here for a long time. Unopened.

I use a Singxer F1 after my MicroRendu and my DAC is a Theta Gen VIII S3.

If I understand you right, I most likely will not benefit from the iPurifier ?

I also have an hiFace EVO, I suppose the same for that one ?

Any plans of offering a AES/EBU version ?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

• 2 weeks later...
I have this same issue when connected to my Maverick Audio D2 DAC. When playback is paused, there is a nasty popping and crackling. When playback is resumed, everything is fine.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Turns out, the Monoprice HDMI Audio Extractor that I was using at the time was the problem.

Since then, I've gone back to using the Regen/LPS-1 combo and everything was fine. In addition, I recently added the IFI Micro-link USB-SPDIF converter and have been overwhelmed with the improvement.

Since my optical cable is over 12' long, in addition to the Micro-link I'm also using the Spdif ipurifier inserted in my DAC. It's a minimal improvement in addition to the Micro-link. Perhaps squeezing out the last bit of jitter due to the long run of optical cable.

At any rate, I'm extremely happy with the addition of the IFI products. [emoji106]

I have a 1m Sys Concepts mini>toslink cable plugged direct into my Schiit Modi multibit. Is it recommended you should keep the length as short as possible? Would they be a potential benefit to using a shorter [6"] cable?

No noise issues in combination with the Schiit dac.

Silverline Sonatina < Moth Audio s45 SET < Shunyata Hydra < PS Audio UO < i-Fi SPDIF iPurifier < Schiit Modi Multibit < Chromecast Audio

Turns out, the Monoprice HDMI Audio Extractor that I was using at the time was the problem.

Since then, I've gone back to using the Regen/LPS-1 combo and everything was fine. In addition, I recently added the IFI Micro-link USB-SPDIF converter and have been overwhelmed with the improvement.

Since my optical cable is over 12' long, in addition to the Micro-link I'm also using the Spdif ipurifier inserted in my DAC. It's a minimal improvement in addition to the Micro-link. Perhaps squeezing out the last bit of jitter due to the long run of optical cable.

At any rate, I'm extremely happy with the addition of the IFI products. [emoji106]

Thank you for clarifying this.

We really do appreciate it when customers clear up matters that are quite often (but not always) unrelated to our products. Our Support Ticket System has quite a good batting average to get to the bottom - hence why we always need each and every customer's full system details in the ticket.

We always ask they aren't divulged publicly on forums. Computer audio is varied - there is no one size fits all. This is also sheds light on why we have a range of signal (USB/SPDIF/Power) products that focus on different aspects found in different computer audio systems.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

I have a 1m Sys Concepts mini>toslink cable plugged direct into my Schiit Modi multibit. Is it recommended you should keep the length as short as possible? Would they be a potential benefit to using a shorter [6"] cable?

No noise issues in combination with the Schiit dac.

Always keep as short as possible! But we don't think 1m > 0.6m will be a huge benefit. And it's worth to keep on mind that it's good to insert the SPDIF directly IN the DAC socket.

I have had one here for a long time. Unopened.

I use a Singxer F1 after my MicroRendu and my DAC is a Theta Gen VIII S3.

If I understand you right, I most likely will not benefit from the iPurifier ?

I also have an hiFace EVO, I suppose the same for that one ?

Any plans of offering a AES/EBU version ?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

The best answer here would be to try S/PDIF iPurifier and see for yourself whether the sound quality gets improved. The outcome depends on your devices' digital inputs/outputs quality. We can't predict the outcome; S/PDIF iPurifier might bring nothing audible to the table, or on the contrary, you'll witness an audible quality leap. Hence our policy is to try it before you buy it.

No AES/EBU versions for nano/micro series devices and products of iPurifier sort.

• 1 month later...

I am thinking of getting the SPDIF iPurifier to sit between my Oppo 203 and Chord Mojo DAC. So the question is, how to I connect it to since the Mojo (as well as Hugo) come with a 3.5mm coaxial input?

Oppo 203 - RCA/RCA coaxial cable - Spdif iPurifier - RCA/3.5mm coaxial adapter? If this is correct, where should I find such an adapter?

This device is driving me crazy. I replaced my perfectly good MicroMega MyDAC with a Schiit Modi Multibit, because of all the noise I was getting with the MyDAC between tracks when it was connected to the iPurifier. The Schiit fixed the noise problem, but now I am getting no output from the iPurifier with 88.2 kHz files. They play fine if I remove the iPurifier from the chain and it makes no difference if I change DACs. Now I'm wondering if that has always been the case and if I didn't notice it while struggling with all the other problems I've had with the iPurifier. I only have a few 88.2 kHz files, so I may not have played them since I got the iPurifier. Input is from a Chromecast Audio. Has anyone else here been able to play 88.2 kHz files?

@AmusedToD The iPurifier can be plugged straight into the 3.5mm coax input. No need for a cable.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

I will test for you over the next couple of days, I have both the Micromega MyDac and the Schiit Modi MultiBit.

18 minutes ago, Snowmonkey said:

This device is driving me crazy. I replaced my perfectly good MicroMega MyDAC with a Schiit Modi Multibit, because of all the noise I was getting with the MyDAC between tracks when it was connected to the iPurifier. The Schiit fixed the noise problem, but now I am getting no output from the iPurifier with 88.2 kHz files. They play fine if I remove the iPurifier from the chain and it makes no difference if I change DACs. Now I'm wondering if that has always been the case and if I didn't notice it while struggling with all the other problems I've had with the iPurifier. I only have a few 88.2 kHz files, so I may not have played them since I got the iPurifier. Input is from a Chromecast Audio. Has anyone else here been able to play 88.2 kHz files?

@AmusedToD The iPurifier can be plugged straight into the 3.5mm coax input. No need for a cable.

2 minutes ago, pas said:

I will test for you over the next couple of days, I have both the Micromega MyDac and the Schiit Modi MultiBit.

Thanks pas, though the problems seems to be with the iPurifier. If I leave the iPurifier out of the system, both DACs play 88.2 kHz and if I add the iPurifier, neither DAC will.

- Einstein

4 minutes ago, Snowmonkey said:

Thanks pas, though the problems seems to be with the iPurifier. If I leave the iPurifier out of the system, both DACs play 88.2 kHz and if I add the iPurifier, neither DAC will.

I have only used the S/PDIF iPurifier with the Muse TDA 1543 X 4 dac with great results and that included feeding it 24/88 files, I will report my findings with the other two dacs.

23 hours ago, Snowmonkey said:

Snowmonkey,

I only had a small window of time today, here are my initial results. I started with the Micromega MyDac. My chain was microRendu - SMSL X-USB (USB/SPDIF converter) - Coax out to iFi SPDIF ipurifier - MyDac. I was able to play 16/44, 16/48, 24/88, 24/96, and 24/192. I was unable to play 24/176, the SMSL X-USB was sending the 24/176 file to the MyDac but the coax indicator light only flashed and wouldn't lock on. I have a Sony Blu-Ray player that will pass SACD 24/176 that I will hook up to the iFi and MyDac for testing. If I connect the microRendu directly to the USB of the MyDac, all files up to 24/192 play without a hitch.

Paul

3 hours ago, AmusedToD said:

Are you sure? By looking at the pictures of the device I only see a male RCA type pin output (which is supposed to be plugged into a female RCA type input of the DAC), right?

Sorry, my mistake.

- Einstein

14 hours ago, pas said:

Snowmonkey,

I only had a small window of time today, here are my initial results. I started with the Micromega MyDac. My chain was microRendu - SMSL X-USB (USB/SPDIF converter) - Coax out to iFi SPDIF ipurifier - MyDac. I was able to play 16/44, 16/48, 24/88, 24/96, and 24/192. I was unable to play 24/176, the SMSL X-USB was sending the 24/176 file to the MyDac but the coax indicator light only flashed and wouldn't lock on. I have a Sony Blu-Ray player that will pass SACD 24/176 that I will hook up to the iFi and MyDac for testing. If I connect the microRendu directly to the USB of the MyDac, all files up to 24/192 play without a hitch.

Paul

Ah, so the iPurifier was able to process 24/88.2. Makes me wonder if it's some compatibility problem with the output of the Chromecast Audio. I once trialed a Wyred4Sound Remedy which choked on 24/96 from the CCA , but handled other sources just fine. Thanks again for your trouble.

- Einstein

3 hours ago, Snowmonkey said:

Ah, so the iPurifier was able to process 24/88.2. Makes me wonder if it's some compatibility problem with the output of the Chromecast Audio. I once trialed a Wyred4Sound Remedy which choked on 24/96 from the CCA , but handled other sources just fine. Thanks again for your trouble.

Schiit Modi Multibit will play 24/88.

• 2 months later...

I posted in the Kef wireless thread but the iFi has made a clear difference when connected via my Samsung JS9000 TV optical and Kef LS50 Wireless speakers. More distinct and separated sound that was immediately noticeable. That's pretty Big Bang ? for the buck. 

Another sad customer here, with the static/crackling when there's no signal present. :(  Sad because this thing makes such a huge difference!  It makes an AirPort Express sound as good as a top notch CD transport into my Audio Note DAC3 (older model, ca. 2000)!  Just lovely.  But that static...

I tried replacing the unit, in case it was a production issue - nope.  I tried different optical cables.  I tried the iPurifier's optical out (instead of the coax).  I tried a newer AIrPort Express (802.11g and 802.11n models).

To be clear, this is the situation:

AirPort Express -> TOSlink cable -> DAC3 : works fine, sounds lame

AirPort Express -> TOSlink cable -> SPDIF iPurifier -> DAC3 : static when no signal, sounds GREAT with signal

It must be something to do with the iPurifier, because when I take it out of the loop, everything is fine.  And when there's no source connected, I get the problem.  Can confirm that when I first switch it on, I don't get the static - only after a signal is started and then stopped.

Clearly plenty of DACs don't have this problem.  It would be GREAT if iFi could try and find a DAC that  reproduces this problem and come out with an updated model that solves it.  I understand that resources are tight, and this is a pretty niche product, but it seems to be a somewhat common issue?  If you started a GoFundMe, I'd pay up front. :D 

I'd also be happy to try any other workarounds people can suggest?  Inserting a DEQ2496 is an interesting one, but they're $300 and hideous. :D

Thought about the Wyred4Sound Remedy, but that apparently always outputs 96KHz no matter what, and my DAC can only handle up to 48KHz.  There isn't really anything else on the market like it, is there?

Thanks,

Dunc

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Having replaced my Micromega MyDAC with a Schiit Multibit Modi to eliminate the crackling between tracks, I have realised that the iPurifier doesn't enhance the already excellent output from the Schiit to any great exent. Given the iPurifier would not play 88.2mHz files through the Schiit, I have removed the iPurifier from my system. It's now doing duty enhancing the audio-out from my TV, which it does quite well.

- Einstein