IGNORED

New launch - SPDIF iPurifier

Will receive mine hopefully this week to feed a 2qute from a Sony SCD-XA9000ES. Coax RCA to BNC

Sent from my SM-G925I using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

That's a very lovely package right there :)

Please do let us all know how SPDIF iPurifier works for you!

After a lengthy listening session last night I will say I am impressed. I listened to music from my own library at each supported sample rate and I streamed from Tidal. Even at this early stage I'm tempted to say this product is a no-brainer for folks using SPDIF.

Right now the system looks like this:

Bluesound Node 2 > Black Cat Silverstar 75! > iFi SPDIF iPurifier > Schiit Bifrost Multibit

More to come ...

After a lengthy listening session last night I will say I am impressed. I listened to music from my own library at each supported sample rate and I streamed from Tidal. Even at this early stage I'm tempted to say this product is a no-brainer for folks using SPDIF.

Right now the system looks like this:

Bluesound Node 2 > Black Cat Silverstar 75! > iFi SPDIF iPurifier > Schiit Bifrost Multibit

More to come ...

Well, it's not going back. In fact, I tend to agree with the assessment of @Barry in Calgary. 4th paragraph in particular:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f30-abbingdon-music-research-ifi-audio-sponsored/ifi-spdif-ipurifier-wow-29809/

I just received one last week. Bluesound node 2 to Schitt Modi multibit....

What happens if you connect the ifi to the Node 2 first, then run cable to the dac? Same effect, or must the ifi be plugged into the dac only?

Maybe a dumb question, but.....

I think you should try it and get back to us ;). BTW, there are no dumb questions!

For those of us with AQ cables using DBS solution are there any counter indications to using this device? Curious as to whether this could be of benefit with an AQ Eagle Eye coax cable connecting ifi nano to metrum octave

We cannot (by company policy as much as by not having all possible products in house) comment on specific setups. However if it works normally, there is no reason why it should not work with the iPurifier SPDIF in line.

However, in order to get a benefit from the iPurifier SPDIF a few conditions need to be met.

1) The DAC needs to be of a design that does not feature built-in dedicated Jitter Rejection by means other than ASRC (DAC's with ASRC will benefit from iPurifier SPDIF).

This means for example the iFi Retro and/or iDSD micro will show little or no benefit fom the iPurifier SPDIF.

On the other hand any DAC using generic PLL based SPDIF Receiver Chips (e.g. AKM, Cirrus Logic, Texas Instruments, On-Semi/Sanyo, ST-Micro, Yamaha) without a secondary precision PLL will benefit, the more the worse the source is, as these receivers generally have no suppression of source jitter in the audible range.

2) The source must have appreciable levels of jitter and/or signal degradation. If the source is essentially a "perfect" source with low jitter and good waveform connected with a short (1m or less) and high quality cable, there is not a lot the iPurifier SPDIF can improve.

3) Another area of improvement is possible in systems where both source and DAC have SPDIF inputs without galvanic isolation. In this case the iPurifier SPDIF will provide this isolation and break ground loops that can raise the system noisefloor.

Now in your system above you list the iDSD nano as source.

The SPDIF Signal in the iDSD nano comes through a circuit including re-clocking and signal conditioning that is very similar to the iPurifier SPDIF and has clocks of very similar quality. In other words the SPDIF signal is already very low jitter and of great quality, in effect very similar to what would come out of the iPurifier SPDIF.

Unless your cable severely worsens the waveform and jitter of the signal, the only benefit the iPurfier SPDIF could bring would be galvanic isolation (which the iDSD nano SPDIF output lacks), if this is not already build into the DAC.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

I just received one last week. Bluesound node 2 to Schitt Modi multibit....

What happens if you connect the ifi to the Node 2 first, then run cable to the dac? Same effect, or must the ifi be plugged into the dac only?

Maybe a dumb question, but.....

The new signal driving the DAC in the iPurifier SPDIF is generated a little over 10mm from the RCA connector by the re-clocker.

By plugging the iPurifier SPDIF directly into the DAC, the variables of cable impedance matching, connectors etc. are in effect removed and the DAC receives a signal that is about as close to ideal as it can be.

It will of course work plugged into a cable and could be used as repeater/regenerator in the middle of long cable runs. However, the best results will arise from a direct connection.

@AMR/iFi

"This means for example the iFi Retro and/or iDSD micro will show little or no benefit fom the iPurifier SPDIF."

Nor the AMR DP-777 or DP-777 SE :)

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

@AMR/iFi

"This means for example the iFi Retro and/or iDSD micro will show little or no benefit fom the iPurifier SPDIF."

Nor the AMR DP-777 or DP-777 SE :)

Yes, as much as we would like to sell another unit :-) we have to say no need to get. There is little to gain as it is already built-in.

I'm thinking of purchasing this but I want to make sure I can go input optical and out coax into my DAC

Almarra 318B-Zu Audio Omen-Marantz SA15S1-Nottingham Analogue Interspace Jr.-BlueSound Node-Schiit Modi 2 Uber, Ifi SPDIF ipurifier-Clearday Shotgun speaker cables-Clarity HarvestII Interconnects-TWL powercords-ATS acoustic panels-Echo Buster corner traps

I'm thinking of purchasing this but I want to make sure I can go input optical and out coax into my DAC

From John Darko's review:

"The upshot? We’re covered for TOSLINK in and out, coaxial in and out, coaxial in and TOSLINK out and vice versa. Four options that point us to the iPurifier’s basic utility as a simple format converter.

One might use this iFi dongle to route the coaxial-only digital output of the Devialet Expert 200 into the TOSLINK-only Devialet Dialog which in turn deals audio out to a pair of Phantoms. Extreme – but possible."

From John Darko's review:

"The upshot? We’re covered for TOSLINK in and out, coaxial in and out, coaxial in and TOSLINK out and vice versa. Four options that point us to the iPurifier’s basic utility as a simple format converter.

One might use this iFi dongle to route the coaxial-only digital output of the Devialet Expert 200 into the TOSLINK-only Devialet Dialog which in turn deals audio out to a pair of Phantoms. Extreme – but possible."

Thanks I didn't see that in his review

Almarra 318B-Zu Audio Omen-Marantz SA15S1-Nottingham Analogue Interspace Jr.-BlueSound Node-Schiit Modi 2 Uber, Ifi SPDIF ipurifier-Clearday Shotgun speaker cables-Clarity HarvestII Interconnects-TWL powercords-ATS acoustic panels-Echo Buster corner traps

I received mine today and hooked it up as follows.

Bluesound Node optical to Ifi purifier out coax to Schiit Modi 2 Uber . Background noise has dropped to dead silence, not that I had noticed any before but with this hooked up you can tell there was noise before which makes the music clearer. I also have the Modi Multibit which sounds similar to the Modi Uber and Ifi purifier combined but is more in your face than the warmer sound I get from the Uber version so i'm returning the multibit version.

The new signal driving the DAC in the iPurifier SPDIF is generated a little over 10mm from the RCA connector by the re-clocker.

By plugging the iPurifier SPDIF directly into the DAC, the variables of cable impedance matching, connectors etc. are in effect removed and the DAC receives a signal that is about as close to ideal as it can be.

It will of course work plugged into a cable and could be used as repeater/regenerator in the middle of long cable runs. However, the best results will arise from a direct connection.

When plugged directly into Bitfrost coax (& with very short cable), iPurifier keeps falling off. Design flaw of connector? Is there some kind of very short SPDIF cable or conector that could be used?

When plugged directly into Bitfrost coax (& with very short cable), iPurifier keeps falling off. Design flaw of connector? Is there some kind of very short SPDIF cable or conector that could be used?

Please use our STS system from this link: AMR & iFi-Audio :: Support Ticket System

We need to know more about the setup etc.

I have got yesterday by SPDIF purifier.

It does not sync with http://www.teufelaudio.com/raumfeld-audio-streaming/raumfeld-connector-2-p9527.html! - its led blinking and only seconds of sound

It works if I set 'fixed clock' on the optical interface, but this introduce samples lost (pure tones are played with little scratches).

No issue going straight to my Anthem MRX or a quite quite normal DAC as TC-7510.

PS: I have report through a ticket.

I have got yesterday by SPDIF purifier.

It does not sync with http://www.teufelaudio.com/raumfeld-audio-streaming/raumfeld-connector-2-p9527.html! - its led blinking and only seconds of sound

It works if I set 'fixed clock' on the optical interface, but this introduce samples lost (pure tones are played with little scratches).

No issue going straight to my Anthem MRX or a quite quite normal DAC as TC-7510.

PS: I have report through a ticket.

It looks that iFi cannot help to fix .... Clearly connector 2 is close to boundaries, but SPDIF is not as flexible in input as other DAC's.

I have had to return it, as useless to me.

Anyhow I have taken a chance also for some testing using another Media Player (Netgear Neotv), connected to SPDIF vs. Connector 2. Both connected to my Anthem MRX510. SPDIF was on the coax input. Done some A/B test starting from a network disk (Ethernet). Not so extensive, but I could not appreciate differences. Maybe due to my Anthem internal DAC having some jitter attenuation (http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDatasheet/CS42528_F2.pdf) - based on PLL, i.e. not on buffering as for iFi

• 3 weeks later...

Just received mine today. Using with Chromecast Audio puck and Schiit Modi Multibit DAC. Following manufactuer suggestion I plugged it straight into the coaxial input on the DAC and used a Sys. Concept mini-toslink - toslink cable to matrix with the CCA.

Unlike other mentions in this thread I haven't experienced any issues with crackling sounds or connection issues with the DAC. Straight out of the box I was able to retrieve more detail from familiar sources. Looking forward to what continued use offers.

Silverline Sonatina < Moth Audio s45 SET < Shunyata Hydra < PS Audio UO < i-Fi SPDIF iPurifier < Schiit Modi Multibit < Chromecast Audio

• 2 weeks later...

@AMR/iFi audio

I'm considering SPDIF iPurifier for my current setup. I take Toslink data directly from the motherboard (Gigabyte, z170 based). it connects to an Onkyo 818 AVR Toslink port (Onkyo mainly used as the pre/pro). Onkyo mentions PLL jitter cleaning circuit is already included.

My sources are relatively clean but the audio signal directly coming from the motherboard makes me a bit nervous given so much stuff going on there.

Any pointers? Thanks